Dr. Franklin H. Albrecht, an orthopedic surgeon of St. Louis, his native city, was born August 7, 1882, a son of Herman S. and Elizabeth M. (Weinrich) Albrecht. The father was born in Germany and on coming to America made his way direct to St. Louis in 1879, after which he here engaged in the manufacture and sale of machinery supplies. His wife was born in St. Charles county, Missouri, a daughter of Conrad Weinrich of German birth, who was brought to the new world by his parents when but three years of age, the family home being established at New Melle in St. Charles county. They were pioneer settlers there, arriving about 1837. The grandfather was a Civil war veteran, having served as a captain in the Missouri Home Guard. In days of peace he successfully followed farming and became recognized as one of the prominent and influential citizens of his section of the state. In politics he was a stanch republican and represented his district in the Missouri general assembly. His daughter, Mrs. Albrecht, is still living and by her marriage she became the mother of three children: Franklin H., Albert W. and Alma Elizabeth, the last named now deceased.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Franklin H. Albrecht obtained a grammar school education in St. Louis and afterward attended Washington University, from which he was graduated with the M. D. degree in 1902. He then went abroad and pursued special study in orthopedic surgery in Berlin University in 1903-04 and following his return he entered upon private practice, in which he has since been continuously and successfully engaged. He is now orthopedic surgeon to the Lutheran Hospital, the Deaconess Hospital, the Bethesda Hospital, the Jewish Home for Chronic Invalids, the Mullanphy Hospital and is associate orthopedic surgeon to the Jewish Hospital and visiting surgeon to the St. Louis City Hospital. He belongs to the St. Louis Pediatric Society, to the St. Louis Medical Society, the Missouri State and American Medical Associations and is likewise a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a member of the Central States Orthopedic Club.
In St. Louis, January 26, 1909, Dr. Albrecht was married to Miss Gussie Beckmann, a native of this city and a daughter of William E. and Louise (Seidel) Beckmann, both members of well known old families of St. Louis. They have become parents of two children: Edgar S., born in St. Louis, August 14, 1914; and Thelma Elizabeth, November 3, 1917.
During the World war Dr. Albrecht was a surgeon of the United States Public Health Reserve and was on active duty as a consultant to the St. Louis Public Health Service Hospital. He was commissioned a major and served from April, 1918, until May, 1920. His political endorsement is given to the republican party and fraternally he is a Mason, belonging to University City Lodge, No. 649, A. F. & A. M., while in the Scottish Rite he has attained the thirty-second degree and has also become a member of the Mystic Shrine. His is a very busy, active and useful life, but when leisure permits he turns to motoring for recreation.