Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Frank B. H. Brown is a native of Canada, born near the Bay of Canta, April 14, 1836. His father, James P. Brown, is a native of Eastport, Maine, and was born in 1805. He made merchandising his principal occupation during life, and died December 3, 1874, at Danville, Dodge county, Wisconsin.
Young Brown remained at his birthplace until he was five years of age, and at the age of fifteen was engaged in clerking in a store in the town of Glen-Allen, Ontario, remaining in this business for two years. In 1852 he went to Jefferson county, Minnesota, where he was engaged in farming and in the livery business for three years, and in 1855 entered a tract of 280 acres of land in Steele county, Minnesota. He remained there cultivating and improving this farm about twelve years.
In 1858 Mr. Brown was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Caslor, who at that time lived in Steele county, Minnesota. His wife is a daughter of Daniel Caslor, a native of New York, and at one time a resident of Colfax township.
In 1862 Mr. Brown volunteered with twenty-five or thirty of his neighbors to protect themselves from the depredations of the Sioux Indians who were at that time devastating the country, destroying property and massacring the people. Not long after this he was enrolled in Company 0, Second Regiment Minnesota Volunteer Cavalry, and served in this company as a regular, fighting against the Indians, until November 20, 1865, when he was mustered out, and returned to his family. In 1867 he came to Daviess county, Missouri, and purchased a farm near Winston, in Colfax township, and gave his attention to farming about seven years. He then went to the town of Winston where he has since been engaged in the sale of drugs.
Mr. Brown has been twice married, and has a family of seven children: James D., Clara M., Thaddeus, Eldora, Laura, Arthur B. and Cassius M.