Biography of Edwin W. Lee
A member of the bar for twenty-two years Edwin W. Lee has throughout the entire period engaged in practice in St. Louis and his course has been marked by steady advancement. In fact his professional training was received in the St. Louis Law School and ever since he has been a member of the bar of this city, his course being characterized by a steady progress that has brought him to a point of prominence. He is a native son of Wisconsin, his birth having occurred in the city of Beloit, July 1, 1875, his parents being Bradley D. and Belle F. (Waterman) Lee, who were natives of Litchfield county, Connecticut, and of the state of New York, respectively. During his early boyhood Edwin W. Lee pursued his studies in Smith Academy and later entered Williams College at Williamstown, Massachusetts, where he completed his more specifically literary course as a member of the class of 1897. He came of a family that has furnished many prominent representatives to the bar and he turned to the profession in which his people had won a most honorable name and place. Accordingly he became a student in the St. Louis Law School, following his return to this city and was graduated from that institution as a member of the class of 1899. He at once engaged in practice here, his first association being with the firm of McKeighan & Watts, which was the successor of the firm of Lee & McKeighan, following the death of Edwin W. Lee’s father in 1897. When Judge McKeighan was called to his final rest the firm became Watts, Williams & Dines. A later change has led to the adoption of the firm style of Watts, Gentry & Lee, the name of Edwin W. Lee now figuring in the firm. Their clientage is now extensive and of a most important character and Mr. Lee has shown marked ability in handling intricate legal problems involved in litigation that he has conducted. He has made a specialty of corporation and probate law.
Mr. Lee is a member of Tuscan Lodge, No. 360, A. F. & A. M., a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason, also a Shriner, and is well known in the club circles of the city, having membership in the Missouri Athletic, Bellerive Golf and Racquet Clubs. He also holds membership in Chi Psi, a Greek letter fraternity. Politically he is a stalwart republican and has done everything in his power to promote the growth and insure the success of the party. He has been the secretary of the Missouri State League of Republican Clubs and his labors have been far-reaching and resultant in behalf of republican successors. He was appointed excise commissioner of the city of St. Louis by Governor Hadley for two years, 1911-13, and served two short terms as circuit judge in the city of St. Louis, one by appointment and one by election. He has a very extensive acquaintance in St. Louis, where all of his life has been passed and all who know him entertain for him the warmest regard.