Biography of Dr. N. C. Berry
Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
DR. N. C. BERRY. Our subject, a prominent and leading physician of West Plains, Missouri, was born April 5, 1838, in Union County, Kentucky, of which State his father, Dr. J. T. Berry, was also a native.
The elder Berry was born in Fayette County in 1810, and was the son of John Berry, who was a native Virginian and an early settler of Kentucky. Dr. J. T. Berry took up the practice of medicine nearly sixty years ago in Kentucky, and came to Missouri in 1869. He located in Camden County, but subsequently moved to Carthage, where he is now practicing. He is about eighty-four years of age, a prominent physician, and member of the board of pension examiners at Carthage. He was married in Kentucky to Miss Susan M. Hodge, daughter of James Hodge, formerly of Kentuky, now deceased. She is still living, and is seventy years of age. Of their seven children our subject is eldest in order of birth. The others are as follows: C. L. and H. A., residents of Carthage; John J., deceased, was a soldier in the Fourth Kentucky Infantry, Confederate Army; C. C., who died when a child, and two daughters who died young.
Our subject passed his boyhood and youth in his native county, attended the schools there and the high school in his native town, and early in life began the study of medicine with his father and an uncle, Dr. J. W. Berry. Later he entered the Jefferson College, of Philadelphia, Pa., and there finished his education. Following this the Doctor enlisted in the Confederate Army, Fourth Kentucky Infantry, in September, 1861, and was with that regiment during the battle of Shiloh. Later he obtained a position with Gen. Lyon, and was with him until the close of the war. He was an army surgeon, and was first with Col. Cypert’s regiment. Later he was promoted to senior brigade surgeon of Turner’s Brigade, Gen. Lyon’s cavalry, and continued in that position during the latter part of the war. He was with Gen. Forest at Johnsonville, Tennessee, and was in the army nearly four years. He was taken prisoner by Gen. Mitchell, but soon escaped. Following the war he located in Kentucky and resumed the practice of medicine with his father, and continued with him up to the time he came to Missouri.
Upon reaching Missouri Dr. Berry settled at West Plains, Howell County, and since 1871 has made his home in this town. He is a member of the county and Southwest Missouri Medical Association, and has shown his appreciation of secret organizations by becoming a member of the I. O. O. F., West Plains Lodge No. 263, K. of P., Crotona Lodge No. 137, at West Plains, and A. O. U. W. No. 231. The Doctor has held numerous offices in the organizations. He has been district deputy grand master of the I. O. O. F., has represented his lodge in the Grand Lodge of Missouri, also in the encampment of the State, and has ever been an active Odd Fellow. In politics the Doctor is a Democrat, and is a strong man in his party. He has ever been interested in political affairs. He has held the office of secretary of the board of health of West Plains for a number of years, and he has been a member of the educational board of the town. The Doctor has a cheerful and pleasant home on Main Street, and this is presided over by his estimable wife, who was Mrs. Green, daughter of Payne Dixon, when he married her. They have one daughter living, Sudie C., a young lady, and two other children deceased: Ernestine, who was the wife of Edward Hely, of West Plains, died when twenty-one years of age,and William, who died when seven months old. Dr. Berry is one of the leading physicians of southwest Missouri, and has a large and paying practice. His office is on Washington Avenue.