Dr. Charles A. Leavy, who in the practice of medicine is specializing on diseases of the ear, nose and throat in St. Louis, was born in Palmyra, Missouri, September 25, 1873. His father, the late James Leavy, was a native of St. Louis, where his father, who was of Irish descent, settled at a very early day. James Leavy was a sculptor who won professional prominence and he was also a Civil war veteran who served with the rank of corporal in Company G, Thirtieth Missouri Volunteer Infantry for three and a half years, being wounded in the battle of Vicksburg. He died in Louisiana, Missouri, in 1911, when at the age of sixty-three years. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Mary Saunders, was a native of Palmyra, Missouri, and died in 1880 at the age of thirty-eight years. In the family were three children, two of whom were daughters.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Dr. Leavy, the second in order of birth, acquired a district school education in Ralls county and then attended the high school at New London, Missouri, and the Chillicothe (Mo.) Normal School, spending three years as a pupil in the latter institution. At length he determined upon the practice of medicine as a life work and was graduated from the Marion Sims Beaumont Medical College of St. Louis in 1903 with the M I. D. degree. He took up the profession of teaching, which he followed in Ralls county for three years prior to beginning the study of medicine and following his graduation from the Medical College he became clinical instructor in the St. Louis University, a position which he occupied for twelve years. He afterward devoted three years to the general practice of medicine and then went abroad for post-graduate work, spending 1905-6 in special study of the ear, nose and throat. Again in 1912-13 he did post-graduate work in Vienna and in London and came under the instruction of some of the most eminent specialists of the old world. From 1902 until 1912 he did clinical work in the Marion Sims Beaumont Medical College and he is regarded as an instructor of eminent ability as well as a specialist of highly developed skill in his chosen field. He belongs to the St. Louis Medical Society, the Missouri State and American Medical Associations and the Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology.
Dr. Leavy brought his professional skill into play for the benefit of his country. He volunteered for service in the United States army in March, 1918, and was on active duty from July of that year until the following June. He was assistant to the chief at Camp Sherman, near Chillicothe, Ohio, also first assistant to Chief Captain Hazelton at Fort Sherman, Ohio, and during the latter’s absence was in entire charge of eye, ear, nose and throat work with the rank of captain. He likewise had charge of the Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital, No. 40, at St. Louis, Missouri, until honorably discharged on the 18th of June, 1919.
Dr. Leavy is a Mason, belonging to Mt. Moriah Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and is a Royal Arch Mason, has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite and belongs to the Mystic Shrine. He also has membership with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and is a well known representative of the Sunset Inn Country Club. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he finds his recreation and diversion in outdoor sports. The strength of his character is indicated in the fact that he made his way through medical school unaided and his advancement has rested upon a laudable ambition, comprehensive study, thoroughness and earnestness in all that he undertakes and close conformity to the high standards of the profession.