J. S. JOHNSON. It is always a pleasure to deal with the history of one of those grand old families that have for generations been distinguished for patriotism, genuine Christianity and strong characteristics which have made them prominent wherever they have settled. J. S. Johnson, who has been a resident of this State since 1868, and of Ozark since 1873, is descended from an old and prominent Virginia family.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
His grandfather Johnson was a native of the Old Dominion, and a soldier in the Revolutionary War, as were other members of this family. David Johnson, the father of our subject, was also born in Virginia and was a soldier in the War of 1812 under Gen. Harrison. He took part in the battle of Tippecanoe. All his life was spent in farming and he became fairly well off. In politics he was a Whig. He was married to Miss Frances McDaniell and subsequently emigrated to Indiana, where six children were born, our subject being one of these. By a previous marriage the father reared a family of twelve children. The father and mother of J. S. Johnson passed their last days in Indiana, the former dying in 1875, and the latter ten years later, both quite aged.
J. S. Johnson first saw the light in Indiana, July 1, 1829, and his early life was spent on a farm. He secured a good education in the colleges of Indiana, and was married in that State to Miss Hannah Dean, a native of Ohio, and the daughter of William G. Dean, who was of a prominent Virginia family. Six children were born to this union, namely: William D., who died in this county in 1884; Z. A., ex-sheriff of the county; Clara J., the wife of David Wolff, of Ozark (see sketch), and three who died young.
Our subject lost his first wife in 1872, and her remains were interred at Carthage, Missouri Mr. Johnson’s second marriage was with the eldest daughter of Judge Samuel Boyd. Previous to his first wife’s death Mr. John-son moved to Iowa, and in 1868 to Carthage, Missouri, where he resided until 1873. He then came to Ozark and was engaged in the mining business. The same year he was appointed postmaster at Chadwick, and in 1889, was appointed to the same position at Ozark, holding the same until July 17, 1893, and giving his whole attention to the office. He has ever been an ardent Republican and as a citizen and neighbor no man is more highly esteemed. He is a member of Friend Lodge No. 352, A. F. & A. M., at Ozark, and also of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Johnson held membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church. She has associated herself with her husband in church relations. At the present time Mr. Johnson is engaged in the meat business at Ozark, and is succeeding fairly well at this. During the late war he was so badly afflicted with rheumatism that he was not able to become a soldier. In the spring of 1894 he was elected mayor of the city of Ozark, being the recipient of every vote cast at said election. He is a man well posted on all the current topics of the day, a great reader, and a pleasant conversationalist.