Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
HENRY C. AMBROSE. A large class of the farmers of Stone County, Missouri, lead such modest and quiet lives as to be seldom heard of outside of their own townships. They are doing fine work in their own community, but do not care to mingle in the more public matters of political life, as they wish to devote all their time and energies to the cultivation of their farms and the development of the resources of their lands. Such men deserve more mention than they ordinarily receive, and we are pleased to present here one of them, in the person of Henry C. Ambrose, who resides in James Township.
His parents, Merida and Ann (Clark) Ambrose, were natives of Kentucky, born in 1805 and 1803 respectively, and in that State spent their entire lives, the former dying about 1881, and the latter March 16, 1891. Mrs. Ambrose was a member of the Primitive Baptist Church. Mr. Ambrose was a farmer, and although left an orphan at an early age and reared by an uncle, was possessed of an unlimited amount of perseverance and industry which brought him in good returns and left him in easy circumstances. In politics he was a Whig until after the war, when he became a stanch Democrat. Our subject’s maternal grandfather, Henry Clark, was born in Tennessee, but moved to Clay County, Kentucky, where he followed farming. He was of English extraction and for many years a minister in the Primitive Baptist Church. He died about the time our subject grew into manhood. His wife died during the war when more than eighty years old.
Henry C. Ambrose was born in Clay (now Owsley) County, Kentucky, in 1837, and was the fourth in order of birth of their nine children. William died in Kentucky many years ago from disease contracted during his service in the army; Sarah Jane was the wife of Jasper Morris and died in Carroll County. Arkansas; John, died in Daviess County, Missouri, about 1891 (he was elected a lieutenant in the Rebellion, but was rejected for physical reasons); Henry C.; Mary, wife of John Wilson, of Kentucky; Marion died in Carroll County, Arkansas, he was a soldier in Company C, Forty-seventh Kentucky Infantry, during the war; Barton P., of Kentucky, was a soldier in the same command; Martha, wife of Delaney Wilson, of Kentucky; and Catherine, wife of Thomas Scrivner, of Kentucky.
The original of this notice was educated in the common schools and for eight years, after reaching his eighteenth year, practiced dentistry. He then gave that up and engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1858 he came to Daviess County, Missouri, and the following year was married in Ray County, to Miss Emily Slater, a native of Ray County, and the daughter of Thomas and Catherine (Moore) Slater. Twelve children were the fruits of this union: Franklin B., of Stone County; Merida, of Carroll County, Arkansas; John F. of Barry County, Missouri; Dora A., wife of Robert Rose, of Stone County; William J. went to Arkansas a few years ago and nothing is now known of him; Mary C.; James M.; Martha J., wife of Andrew Turner, of Stone County; Clement, Thornton, Myrtle and Henry.
After his marriage Mr. Ambrose resided in Ray County for a year or two and then returned to his native State for his health. In 1875 he moved to Carroll County, Arkansas, and in 1889 came to Stone County, Missouri, where he has since resided on his present farm. This consists of 18o acres, twenty miles south of Galena on White River. It is the result of his industry and labor. In connection with farming he is also engaged in stockraising and is doing well. In 1863 he enlisted in Company C, Forty-seventh Kentucky Infantry, and served as quartermaster sergeant. He enlisted for twelve months, or during the war, and served about eighteen months in Kentucky, being mustered out at Richmond, Kentucky For eight years he was postmaster at Polo, Arkansas, and is now justice of the peace of James Township. He was formerly a Mason for many years. In religion he is a Primitive Baptist and in politics a Democrat, although formerly a Whig, casting his first vote for Bell and Everett in 1860.