GUY T. HARRISON. The protection afforded by the laws of a country are inestimable. When the people overturn the jurisdictions of their nation, a chaos prevails in which the good is lost sight of in the terrible mobs and riots of the liberty-drunken citizens, as exemplified in the bloody revolution in the city of Paris. A wise people is that which abides by the edicts of its head, and employs agents to explain the methods of that body. Prominent in the ranks of the intelligent and successful lawyers of Ozark County, Missouri, is Guy T. Harrison, who has a most thorough and practical knowledge of the complications of law.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
He was born in Tazewell County, Virginia, November 20, 1863, a son of Henry and Rebecca (Brewster) Harrison,. both of whom were born and spent their lives in Virginia, with the exception of a very short time which they spent in West Virginia. The father was prominent in the affairs of his day, and at one time represented McDowell County in the State Legislature of West Virginia, and was county and circuit clerk of that county. He was engaged in farming and the real estate business, was a shrewd speculator, and at his death, which occurred in 1887, he left property valued at about $40,000. During the great Civil War he was a scout in the Confederate service for a short time. He was a member of the well-known old Harrison family of Virginia, and added honor to the name which he bore. His father, Guy T. Harrison, was a substantial farmer.
The subject of this sketch was one of an old-fashioned family of thirteen children, two of whom are deceased, and is the only one of the family who has come to Missouri. He was educated liberally in the schools of his native county, and in the Concord Normal School, and in February, 1885, he came to Ozark County, Missouri, and opened a general mercantile establishment, which he conducted successfully for about two years. During this time he was also engaged in farming, but upon being elected to the office of circuit clerk and recorder in 1890, he leased his property to Arnold & Harlan, and has since devoted his attention to the duties of his office. He took up the study of law in 1892, and in October, 1893, was admitted to the bar. The men and measures of the Republican party have always found in him a stanch supporter, and in the public affairs of his section he has always manifested much interest, and has given a liberal and hearty support to all measures of a worthy nature. He is a member of Lodge No. 496 of the A. F. & A. M., at Gainesville, in which he is an active worker. He was married to Miss Minnie E. Daniel, of Gainesville, a daughter of A. B. Daniel, and to their union three children have been given: Henry G., Averill D. and William M.