DR. G. P. S. BROWN. Prominent in the professional world of Christian County is the name of Dr. Brown, whose services to humanity are worthy of record in this volume, for the professional career of a skillful and devoted physician ever furnishes material of great interest to all readers, and the life narrative of Dr. Brown is no exception to this general statement.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
He is a native of Greene County, Missouri, born in 1853, and the son of John D. and Mary (Bray) Brown, both natives of the Old North State, the father’s birth occurring in Randolph County in 1798, and the mother’s in 1808. John S. Brown, the grandfather, was born in North Carolina and was of English origin. John D. Brown, father of subject, was a prominent attorney, a wise counselor, and a man who won the respect of all with whom he came in contact. At an early date he removed to Arkansas, and soon after to Greene County, Missouri, locating on a tract of wild prairie land near Henderson. This he changed into a fine farm, and on it he died in 1863 of smallpox. For a number of years he was probate judge of Randolph County; also held the office of district attorney, and was school commissioner of Greene County, Missouri, for some time. In politics he was a stanch advocate of Democratic principles and an active worker for his party. At the breaking out of the Rebellion he was quite wealthy, but lost much of his property during that time. Mrs. Brown is still living, and has now reached the advanced age of ninety years. Of the seven children born to this excellent couple, five sons and two daughters, three of the sons are prominent physicians. The eldest son, Joseph Addison, graduated from the McDonald Medical College, of St. Louis, and is a prominent physician of Greene County; Emeline married William Jessup, of Jamestown, Arkansas; Lydia (deceased) was the wife of Anderson Pendleton, of Christian County; John D., of Lead Hill, Arkansas. was with Gen. Price in the Confederate Army, and was once wounded; Dr. Eli B., a prominent physician of Billings; William T., a soldier in the Federal Army about one year, was honorably discharged for disability caused by a sunstroke; and Dr. G. P. S., our subject. The father of these children was a Baptist in his religious belief and a pioneer of Greene County, Missouri Mrs. Brown’s father, Eli Bray, was born in Randolph County, N. C., and was a prominent farmer and a wealthy citizen.
During his youthful days Dr. G. P. S. Brown was taught the duties of farm life, and received the principal part of his education in the private schools of Springfield. After that he studied medicine with his brothers, and in 1877 and 1878 attended the Keokuk College, of Iowa. In 1890 he was graduated from the St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons. In 1877 he began practicing at Ozark, and about a year later he located at Nixa, where he has built up an extensive and paying practice. He also has an interest in a drug store at Nixa, and owns a good farm of forty acres near that town. On this farm he has a good residence and tasty and commodious outbuildings. The Doctor was married in 1875 to Miss Eva Edwards, a native of Christian County, Missouri, and the daughter of C. and N. E. Edwards, who came here at a very early day. Four children have been born to Dr. and Mrs. Brown: Maude E., postmistress at Nixa; Homer E., Frank L. and Lillian G. Dr. Brown is a member of the Southwestern Medical Association, and one of the leading physicians of the county. Like his father, he is a decided Democrat in politics, and takes a deep interest in all worthy enterprises.