William R. Cole. This gentleman is a native of Missouri and was born in Grundy county, September 20, 1841. He was reared and educated in the county of his birth, and, on arriving at a suitable age; chose farming as his vocation in life. In the spring of 1868 he came to this county, where he has ever since lived, engaged in farming pursuits. He owns a splendid farm of 320 acres of well-improved land in Lincoln township, on which he and his family now reside. When the war broke out Mr. Cole enlisted, July 31, 1861, in Company D, Second Missouri Cavalry (commonly known as ” Merril’s Horse”), and served, first as private, and subsequently as corporal, until September 1864, when he was honorably discharged. He participated in the battle of Little Rock, and several other engagements. In 1875 he was elected justice of the peace, and served several years.
Mr. Cole was married, in Daviess county, June 2, 1870, to Miss Nancy E. Brown. They are the parents of seven children, five of whom are still living. He has been a member of the Baptist Church for over eighteen years.