A native of Virginian, was born in Pendleton County, that State, September 28, 1816. His parents, James and Mary Ann Johnson, were both natives of “Ole Virginy,” and both died there, the former in the year 1845, and the latter in the year 1856. William B., when twenty-one years of age, left the old homestead and journeyed toward the setting sun, and reaching Missouri in 1838, settled in Boone County, where he lived one year. In the spring of 1839 he removed to Daviess County, which was almost a howling wilderness then, and has here resided ever since. He now owns a fine farm of 180 acres, well improved and stocked, and 100 acres of it under excellent cultivation.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
On the 4th of October, 1844, Mr. Johnson was united in marriage to Miss Margaret M. Key, daughter of James B. Key, both residents of Virginia. Nine children were the result of their union, all of whom lived to reach manhood and womanhood. Their names are as here given: Martha A., Susan E., Sarah C., James M., John B., Jacob F., William B., George S. and Mann 0. Mrs. Johnson died October 4, 1877, in this County.
Mr. Johnson was elected justice of the peace in 1850 and held that office for twelve years, was assessor of Jackson Township two years, and is esteemed as one of the most valuable citizens in Jackson township. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.