Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
List of Staff Officers of the Confederate States Army 1861-1865
Surnames that start with N
- Nance, Wm. F., capt., A. A. G. to Gen. Bonham, September 23, 1861; same to Gen. S. R. Gist, August 8, 1862.
- Napier, Le Roy, , A. A. D. C. to Brig. Gen. L. McLaws, 1861.
- Nash, Jos. Van Holt, capt., A. A. G., to report to Gen. R. E. Lee, November 2, 1863; capt., A. A. G. to Brig. Gen. J. R. Chambliss, jr., November 4, 1864.
- Nash, Thos., lieut., A. A. A. G. to Gen. H. B. Davidson.
- Nathan, Julius, , A. A. D. C. to Brig. Gen. O. F. Strahl, 1863.
- Neal, John B., capt., A. Q. M. 1st North Carolina Cav.; maj., Brig. Q. M. to Brig. Gen. Rufus Barringer, 1863 maj., Q. M. to Brig. Gen. Lawrence S. Baker, July 23, 1863.
- Neary, Win. J., capt., A. Q. NI. to Gen. Rodes, September 15, 1864. Neilson, C. A., capt., A. C. S. 35th Mississippi Regt.; to Brig.
- Gen. J. C. Moore, Maury’s division, Army of the West, February 8, 1863.
- Neilson, C. P., capt., A. A. G. to Brig. Gem W. S. Featherston, July, 1864; promoted to lieutenant-colonel in latter part of 1864 and went to his regiment, 33d Mississippi.
- Neilson, Morgan L., brig. surg., staff of Brig. Gen. R. B. Vance, 1863; from 29th North Carolina.
- Nelms, L., , A. A. A. G. to Col. John K. Jackson, June, 1861.
- Nelson, Hugh M., capt., V. A. D. C. to Maj. Gen. R. S. Ewell, May 4, June, 1862; lieut., A. D. C. to same, August 4, 1862.
- Nelson, Kinloch, capt., O. O. to Gen. J. L. Kemper, June, 1862; lieut., O. O. to Gen. James Longstreet, April 1, 1863.
- Nelson, S. Warren, maj., A. D. C. to Brig. Gen. M. L. Bonham, March, 1861.
- Nelson, W. C., lieut., O.O. to Brig. Gen. N. H. Harris, May, 1863; lieut., A. D. C. to same, July 5, 1864.
- Nelson, , maj., A. A. G-. to Lieut. Col. S. D. Lee, June, 1862.
- New, John H., capt., A. A. G. to Brig. Gen. H. T. Hays, July 29, September, 1862; capt., A. A. and I. G. to same, July, 1863; same to report to R. E. Lee, November 2, 1863; maj., A. A. G. to Lieut. Gen.
J. A. Early, May 15, 1864.
- Newman, George W., capt., asst. surg., September 30, 1862.
- Newman, Jos. C., asst. surg., Prov. Army of Tenn., 1861.
- Newsom, Lewis L., asst. surg., Engineer Hospital, Dist. of Gulf, October 23, 1864.
- Newton, Robert C., A. A. G., Trans-Mississippi Department; capt., A. A. G. to Gen. Hindman, December 1, 1861; staff of Maj. Gen. T. H. Holmes, August 20, 1862; col., chief of staff to Maj. Gen. T. C. Hindman, December, 1862, to March 4, 1863; col., A. A. G. to Gen. Kirby Smith, April 5, 1864.
- Newton, Thos. W., capt., A. I. G. to Brig. Gen. J. S. Marmaduke, March 4, 1863; maj., A. A. G., September 15,1864; same to Brig. Gen. John B. Clark, jr., 1861.
- Nichol, AIex., lieut., to Gen. Wheeler, September 19, 20, 1863. Nichol, Bradford, capt., Ordnance Department; staff of Maj. Gem William B. Bate, October 4, 1864, until May, 1865.
- Nichol, W. L., surg., with Geo. Maney’s Tennessee regiment, 1861.
- Nicholas, Wilson Cary, capt., A. I. G. to Col. Bradley T. Johnson, commanding Maryland Line, June, 1863.
- Nicholls, Francis T., brig. gen., superintendent Bureau of Conscription; staff’ of Gen. E. Kirby Smith, March 27, 1865.
- Nichols, C. A., capt., V. A. D. C. to Brig. Gen. James S. Rains, December 30, 1862.
- Nichols, W. A., , A. A. G. to Maj. Gen. D. E. Twiggs, February 18, 1861.
- Nichols, W. H., . A. A. G. to Col. John C. Moore, November 21, 1861; , A. A. G. to Col. E. B. Nichols, commanding Military District of Galveston, Tex., December 10, 1861.
- Nichols, William, surg., NI. D. to Gen. S. R. Anderson’s brigade, January 23, 1862; M. I. right wing Army of the Mississippi, staff of Maj. Gen. L. Polk, September 13, 1862; surg., Louisiana Hospital, Richmond, Decem ber 10, 1863.
- Nichols, William M., lieut., A. A. G. to Brig. Gen. L. J. Gartrell, 1863.
- Nichols,_____, capt., to Brig. Gen. J. O. Shelby, 1862.
- Nicholson, Edward A. T., 2d lieut., Company E, 37th North. Carolina Troops; capt., A. I. G. to Brig. Gen. James H Lane; capt., A. A. G. to Brig. Gen. Robt. D. Johnston, 1864; killed in the charge on Fort Stedman.
Nicholson, E. P., capt., A. A. G. to Gen. Gano, 1864.
- Nicholson, E. T., capt., A. A. G. to report to Gen. R. E. Lee, November 2, 1863.
- Nicholson, Hunter, maj., A. A. G. to Gen. A. Buford, December, 1862; A. D. C. to Gen. Loring, February, 1864.
- Nicholson, James H., lieut., A. A. A. G. to Gen. Finley, August 24,1864.
- Nidelet, James C., chief surg. of division; staff of Brig. Gen. James R. Chalmers, May 2, 1864.
- Nidelet, Sylvester L., surg., Hospital Ross, Dist. of Gulf, October 23, 1864.
- Norris, John N., maj., Q. M. to Brig. Gen. S. B. Maxey, March, 1862; at Shreveport, La., October 20, 1863; continued on staff of Maj. Gen. Maxey, April 18, 1864.
- Norris, W. H., col., judge-advocate on military court of Maj. Gem Samuel Jones, December 20, 1862.
- Norris, William, capt., A. D. C., S. O. to Maj. Gen. J. B. Magruder, May 3 to June, 1862; maj., chief of Signal Corps, April 16, 1863; at Richmond, December 10, 1863.
- Norris, Wm., maj., Sig. Corps, at Richmond, December 10, 1863. Norris, 2d lieut., A. A. G. to Lieut. Gen. Joseph Wheeler, February 2, 1865.
- Norris,____, Tel. Opr. to Maj. Gen. C. L. Stevenson, 1862; transferred, 1863.
- Northington, John S., capt., A. Q. M. to Gen. Johnston, September 15, 1864.
- Northrop, L. B., col., Com’y Gen. C. S. Army, July, 1861.
- Norton, George, capt., A. I. G. to Brig. Gen. R. L. Gibson; from 13th Louisiana Infantry; capt., A. A. A. G. to same, February 13, 1864, January 11. and March 28, 1865.
- Norton, J. H., asst. surg., with Joel A. Battle’s 20th Tenn. regt” 1861.
- Norton, Samuel E., capt., A. Q. M. to Brig. Gen. Joseph Wheeler, September 1, 1862; relieved (wounded) September 20, 1862; maj., Q. M. to Maj. Gen. Wheeler; same to Lieut. Gen. Wheeler, 1865.
- Norwood, William, lieut., A. D. C. to Brig. Gen. J. R. Anderson, June and July, 1862; lieut., to Brig. Gen. Ed. L. Thomas, July 26, October,. 1862; capt., A. A. G. to same, November 4, 1864.
- Nott, Gustavus A., surg., Hospital Nott, Dist. of Gulf, October 23, 1864.
- Nott, H. J., asst. surg. 2d South Carolina Regiment, July, 1863.
- Nott, J. C., surg., M. D. of division, staff of Brig. Gen. Daniel Ruggles, March 8, 1862; same to Gen. Braxton Bragg, May 17, 1862; surg., M. I. to same, July 1, 1862.
- Nugent, William L., capt., A. A. G. to Brig. Gen. S. W. Ferguson, August 15, October, 1863.
- Nutall, J. H., asst. surg., with Edwd. Pickett’s 21st Tennessee regt., 1861.