JOHN TIMOTHY POWERS is one of the prominent business men, public officials and citizens of Florence, a suburb of Northampton, Hampshire County’s capital. He is a leader in educational, recreational, political and fraternal circles. He has served as alderman from the Seventh Ward, and is a member of the Florence Recreation Commission. His business is groceries and provisions.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
John Timothy Powers was born in Florence, the son of John Powers, who was born in Tipperary, Ireland, in 1828, and died on August so, 1898. John Powers came to the United States when nineteen years old, settled in Hatfield, Hampshire County, and later went to Florence, where he lived until his death, near where he followed farming for years. His wife was Mary Hallorin, a native of County Limerick, Ireland, who died in Florence in 1884. There were eight other children beside John Timothy:
- James, deceased.
- Mary, married James Shannon.
- Margaret, married Silas Berard.
- Fliza, married William McCarthy.
- Annie, deceased.
- Nellie, married Gerald Lynde.
- Lucy, married James Cavanagh.
John Timothy Powers was educated in Northampton, where he was graduated from common and high school. On leaving school he was taken into the employ of the Florence, Brush Company, where he worked in the office for two years. Subsequently he was with the Cutter, Plimpton Company, of Florence, a large dry goods concern, with which he stayed fourteen years. In January, 1905, he established in Main Street, Florence, the grocery and provision store on the site he has occupied for twenty years (1925). He is a member of the Knights of Columbus, and the Ancient Order of Hibernians.
Mr. Powers married, April 20, 1898, Belle G. Sullivan, a native of Holyoke, Massachusetts, and the daughter of James and Mary (Lahey) Sullivan. Mr. and Mrs. Powers have three children:
- Leroy, who married Agnes Welch, and has one son, Leroy, Jr.