EDWARD ANTHONY KENNEDY, oculist and aurist, of Hillcrest Hospital, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, was born January 17, 1880, at Fairfield, Vermont, son of Thomas B. and Katherine (Horrigan) Kennedy. His father served through the Civil War and was severely wounded in one of the later battles. For many years he was active in the circles of the Grand Army of the Republic.
Edward Anthony Kennedy was educated in the public schools of St. Albans, Vermont, and the Medical School of the University of Vermont, whence he was graduated in the class of 1905 with the degree of M. D. He then entered the Massachusetts State Hospital at Monson, where, for five years, he was house physician, at the same time doing post-graduate work along medical lines. In 1910 Dr. Kennedy began the practice of medicine and surgery at Great Barrington. While there he continued his studies and to do hospital work until he gradually developed his practice as a specialist on the eye, ear, nose and throat exclusively. He was active in the civic affairs of Great Barrington. He was a member of the school committee and medical examiner for the Metropolitan, Postal and Prudential life insurance companies. During the World War he was chairman of Medical Advisory Board No. 3.
Dr. Kennedy moved, in 1923, to Pittsfield. While in Great Barrington he was a member of the staff of Fairview Hospital, and is now a member of the staff of Hillcrest Hospital, Pittsfield, as oculist and aurist. Dr. and Mrs. Kennedy are seventh degree members of the National Grange, and are active in the social affairs of that organization. Dr. Kennedy is a member of the American Medical Association, Massachusetts Medical Society, Berkshire County Medical Society, and holds certificates to practice in Vermont as well as Massachusetts. He is a member of the Alpha Kappa Kappa fraternity; the Knights of Columbus, of which he is a fourth degree Knight: Pittsfield Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; University of Vermont Alumni Association; Vermont Club of Pittsfield, Massachusetts; and is affiliated with the Chamber of Commerce.
Dr. Kennedy married, in 1910, Mary L. Haines, of Athol. They are the parents of three children: