Professional Men of Fryeburg, Maine
Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The earliest skilled physician to locate in Fryeburg was Dr. Joseph Emery who came here from Andover, N. H., in 1778. He was also the earliest merchant. He was followed by Josiah Chase of Canterbury, two years later. Joseph Benton, Stephen Porter, Oliver Griswell, Eliphalet Lyman, a graduate of Yale, removed to Lancaster, N. H., about 1820; Dr. Ruel Barrows of Hebron, as early as 1820; Dr. Ira Towle, from Newfield, and his son, Wm. C. Towle were the next physicians. Dr. D. Lowell Lamson, a native of Conway, N. H., began his practice in Fryeburg where he died after a long and successful practice. Dr. Geo. H. Shedd of Norway, now at North Conway, practiced here. Herman L. Bartlett of Stoneham, now of Norway, succeeded Dr. Shedd. Dr. A. G. Phipps, now at Gorham, N. H.; Dr. Geo. Allen of Stoneham, now at Lovell, and Dr. Arthur L. Ferguson were the succeeding practitioners. Dr. Arthur J. Lougee of Rochester, N. H., a graduate of Dartmouth College and New York University; and Dr. L. W. Atkinson, who removed to the village from North Fryeburg about two years ago, are the present practicing physicians at the village.
Dr. Moses Chandler of Concord, N. H., located at the Centre in 1798, and remained here in practice until his death in 1822. He was the only physician to locate at this hamlet.
At North Fryeburg Dr. Noah Parker was an early physician, coming to this village probably as early as 1825, and remaining until his death. One Dr. Hill practiced here ten or more years, after which he removed to the village. Dr. J. L. Bennett, now of Bridgton, succeeded Dr. Parker, and was followed by Dr. Mitchell. Dr. Irving Mabry has been here several years. Dr. L. W. Atkinson practiced here prior to locating at Fryeburg village. Dr. Craft is a new physician.
Judah Dana, a grandson of Gen. Israel Putnam, was Fryeburg’s and Oxford County’s first lawyer. Mr. Dana came to Fryeburg in 1798 from Pomfret, Vt., and practiced law here until his death in 1845. For many years he was a Court Judge. In 1810 he erected the fine residence now occupied as a summer residence by Dr. Gordon of Portland. Gov. John W. Dana was the son of Judge Dana, and a native of Fryeburg. Stephen Chase was an early lawyer of prominence. Col. Samuel A. Bradley of Concord, N. H., was in practice several years before his death in 1841. John Stuart Barrows of Hebron was a contemporary member of the bar who died not long after Col. Bradley. Alex. R. Bradley, a nephew of Samuel A., a graduate of Harvard, was the next in practice here. He died in town in 1862. Col. Edw. L. Osgood, born in the old Oxford House, practiced law here, died in 1863. Governor Enoch Lincoln practiced law in town early in the century, removed to Paris. Henry Hyde Smith was a lawyer here, removed to Hyde Park, Mass.
Major David R. Hastings, a native of Bethel, served as a Major in the Civil War; he later located here and was an able practitioner until about ten years ago, dying about 1895. His son, Edward E., a graduate of Bowdoin, studied law with his father and began practice here about twenty five years ago. Seth W. Fife, L. L. B., a graduate of Harvard Law School, 1869, located here in 1870. He is a native of Chatham, N. H., from one of its oldest and leading families. John B. Eaton, a native of Conway, practiced in Cincinnati before removing to Fryeburg about thirty years ago. Here he was in practice until his death. Chas. C. Warren, now of Arlington, is a native of Fryeburg, and was in practice here before his recent removal. He has an office in Boston. Fryeburg is noted for its strong men of the legal profession, most, of whom have remained in town for a long period of years covering a successful career.