Fryeburg Water Works
In 1882, the Fryeburg Water Co. was organized by local citizens under the direction of Dr. D. Lamson Lowell, for the purpose of installing a system for supplying pure water from Green Hill mountain in Conway. There a series of boiling springs was dammed back, forming a reservoir covering about an acre less than three miles from the village. A system of 10, 8, and 6 inch pipe conducts the water to the village, 156 feet below, the pipe passing under the Saco 300 feet below Weston’s bridge. A natural force of 65 pounds is produced giving ample fire protection and a clear, pure water supply for family use. H. B. Cotton is president of the company; A. R. Jenness, Sec., Treas., and Supt.