Dea. Richard Eastman operated a ferry for many years near the point where the toll bridge was erected in 1870; this bridge is 76 feet long, being the shortest of the seven bridges which span the Saco and Canal. The first bridge built was at Swan’s Falls about 1780. The oldest now in use is Weston’s bridge, 250 feet long, built in 1844, according to Wm. Gordon. Canal bridge 272 feet long, was built in 1846; Walker’s bridge 164 feet, in 1848; Charles river bridge (a tributary) 87 feet, in 1856; Island bridge, 110 feet, in 1862; Hemlock bridge 116, in 1867; the Toll bridge (now free), in 1870; and the new iron bridge at the Harbor 80 feet, built in 1894. All except the latter are covered.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The canal was begun in 1812, when a narrow channel
was cut. The freshet of 1820 greatly widened the channel, reduced the length of the Saco in town from 36 miles to 24 miles, and draining an extensive area of valuable arable land.
Fryeburg post office was established Jan. 1, 1798, with Moses Ames, postmaster. The post office at the Center was established Feb. 19, 1833, Henry G. Farrington, P. M. West Fryeburg post office was established in July 1887, Mrs. E. P. Hutchins, postmistress.