Miles Shoemaker is the owner of a twenty-acre tract on the east side of Riverside Avenue, about two and a half miles south of Riverside. He purchased land in 1882 from Mrs. Hattie S. Travers, and in the same year commenced making improvements upon the place by planting citrus and deciduous fruits and vines. About live acres of his laud lies east of the upper canal, and is not susceptible of irrigation from the Riverside water system. Upon this elevated portion he has erected his cottage residence and outbuildings. The balance of his land fifteen acres is all under cultivation. He has an orange grove of ten acres, the trees ranging in age from seven years to those planted in 1889. He has some of the finest trees to be found in his section, and has used great care in their pruning, fertilization and cultivation from their first planting. His vineyard of three and one-half acres has also received its share of his attention, and has been remarkably prolific in its yield. In 1888 this three and one-half acres and two and one-half acres of vines grown among his orange trees, produced a crop that sold for $1,100. In the same year his oranges brought him $790. In 1886 his raisin and orange crop sold for $2,200. He is a practical and successful horticulturist and is destined to have...Read More
Location: San Bernardino County CA
Among the enterprising and progressive citizens, and successful horticulturists that are doing so much toward building up and placing before the world the horticultural interests and industries of Riverside and San Bernardino County, mention should be made of the above named gentleman. Mr. Nelson came to San Bernardino County in 1863, and located at Redlands. There he purchased a twenty-acre tract of uncultivated land and commenced its improvement. He planted the tract with orange trees, and made one of the representative groves of that section. He sold the tract at a good price in 1887, and in the same year came to Riverside and invested in lands. He is the owner of thirty acres of land on the west side of Bandini avenue, upon which he has his residence; six acres of the land is in orange trees, five or six years old; the balance is bottom land, which is principally devoted to alfalfa. This bottom laud has a water right of some twenty-five inches from Spring Brook. He has also a ten-acre tract on the west side of Cypress Avenue, which is one of the finest orange groves in the section. There are six acres of seedling oranges upon that tract, the trees are sixteen years old, and under his skillful care and cultivation are giving good returns, giving a yield that net him $500 per acre. Four...Read More
S. M. Goddard, one of the leading business men of the city of Colton, is at the head, and is the general manager, of the well-known house of James Lee & Company, wholesale dealers in flour, provisions, grain, etc. It is one of the largest business enterprises of Colton, occupying a large brick store and warehouse west of the railroad depot in that city. The building is 160 x 50 feet in dimensions and is the largest warehouse in the county. The firm of James Lee & Company was established in 1885, composed of James Lee and the subject of this sketch as partners. They, in addition to the present business, were engaged also in banking. The death of Mr. Lee occurred in October, 1886, but the business was continued under the same name, with Mr. Goddard as senior, and M. A. Hebbard as junior partner. The banking house was sold soon after Mr. Lee’s death and incorporated as the First National Bank of Colton. Mr. Goddard has taken an important part in the business enterprises that have tended to build up Colton. He is the City Treasurer and has held that office since the incorporation of the city, and is a stockholder in many of the enterprises that have made public improvements in the city. He is the president of the Hermosa Cemetery Association, and has taken a...Read More
David D. Banta is the business manager and principal owner of the Riverside Mills. This mill was built by the Riverside Mill Company, Walker & Banta, in May, 1887, and conducted by that firm until the death of Mr. Walker in 1888, since which time Mr. Banta has had the sole management of the enterprise. The Riverside Mills ranks as one of the leading industries of the city, being 106 x 40 feet, and is fitted with the most improved machinery for the manufacture of doors, sash, moldings and all class of work required in building and interior finishing. Mr. Banta, a skilled workman of years of experience, is one of the largest employers of skilled labor in the city, engaging some fifteen men, most of whom are mechanics. The machinery of his works is run by steam, requiring an engine of thirty-horsepower. Mr. Banta was born in Bergen County, New Jersey, in 1859, and was reared and schooled in his native place until eighteen years of age. He then went to New York City and entered upon an apprenticeship at the carpenter and builder’s trade. After serving as an apprentice for four years he engaged as a journeyman, working in that city. He spent nearly six years in New York City and then started Westward, and was engaged as a carpenter and builder in Chicago, and later in...Read More
James Porter Greves, M. D., deceased, was familiarly known as the “Father of Riverside,” and well he deserved the title. He was the real founder of the Colony Association, the first to visit and select the land, and the first to occupy them, camping upon the desert plain now occupied by the city of Riverside, September 19, 1870. For nearly twenty years his life and life’s efforts were intimately interwoven with the history of Riverside and the colony. No man in the community was better known or more universally respected and esteemed than he. His death was sincerely mourned and left many an aching heart among his old friends and associates. Dr. Greves was born in Skaneateles, Onondaga County, New York, September 6, 1810. When a youth he was apprenticed to a printer in Utica, New York, and served four years. In 1828 he began the study of medicine under the tutorship of Dr. Batchelor, a well-known physician of that city, and at the age of twenty-one graduated from the Fairfield Medical College, and commenced the practice of his profession. In 1833 he marred Miss Helen Sandford, a native of Ovid, New York, and moved to Marshall, Michigan; there he followed his profession until the summer of 1845, when he removed to Milwaukee, and followed his profession there until 1859; then he went to St. Louis. Late in the...Read More
Peter Suman, one of the most successful horticulturists of Riverside, came to this place in December, 1880, and established his residence on Vine street, between Second and Third streets, purchasing the two and one-half acre block. In the spring of 1881 he bought a ten-acre tract on the west side of Brockton Avenue, about a mile south of the business center of Riverside, and since that date has devoted himself to horticultural pursuits. In 1885 he erected a substantial and well-ordered cottage residence upon this place, and has since occupied it with his family. His orange grove is a noticeably fine one and well worthy of mention as a representative place. He has four acres of seedling orange trees, nineteen years old, and from twenty-two to twenty-five feet in height, with strong body and spreading branches, trees forming a head nearly twenty feet in diameter. As an illustration of the yield from these four acres, the amounts received from the sale of oranges during the past four years is given: In 1885, $1,300; in 1886, $900; in 1887, $1,350, and in 1888, $1,400. This is an average of over $300 per acre for a series of years. In addition to his seedlings there are 230 Mediterranean Sweets, 150 Washington Navels and 60 Australian Navels and St. Michaels in his grove, all remarkably fine trees, but varying in age from...Read More
No historical work claiming to he a true record of the growth and prosperity of Riverside for the decade of years preceding 1890, and claiming to record the establishment of many enterprises, industries and incorporations that have been the leading factor in placing her in the ranks of the leading cities and colonies of Southern California, could be considered as anything but glaringly incomplete without a more than passing mention of the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. His association and connection with Riverside’s leading enterprises form an interesting chapter in the annals of the city and county. Mr. Dyer’s life, since Riverside received its first impetus, has been closely interwoven with every important enterprise or movement that tended to benefit the city and add to the welfare and prosperity of the community. The few facts obtained relating to his life and successful career are of interest. He was born in Portage, Genesee County, New York, in 1844. His parents were Leman W. and Philena (Green) Dyer. His father was a native of the Green Mountain State, and was a mechanic, a marble and granite worker by calling. When the subject of this sketch was four years of age his father moved to New London, Connecticut, and it was there where young Dyer received his early education, in the public schools. In the winter of 1857-’58, his father becoming...Read More
William J. Guthrie, one of San Bernardino’s brightest and most successful business men, was born in Detroit, Michigan, and was there brought up and educated, and started out in life as an employee in a mercantile agency, where he obtained a thorough knowledge of business customs and methods. His connection with that branch of business continued for years, during which time he rose from a reporter to joint partner in the McKillop Mercantile Agency. In 1878 he came to California and spent a year in the Ohio valley, Ventura County, when he was made superintendent of the Dunn Mercantile Agency at Denver, Colorado. At the end of two years he resigned that position to return to Ventura County and engage in private business. A year later, in 1882, he came to San Bernardino, and, in partnership with a Mr. Gilbert, opened a grocery and crockery store combined. In 1884 they closed out the grocery feature and Mr. Gilbert retired from the firm, leaving Mr. Guthrie sole proprietor of the crockery business, which he conducted prosperously until November 1889, and then sold out, retiring temporarily from active business. His was the only exclusively crockery-house in the city, and he carried a large stock of high grade and common wares, in which he had a fine trade. Mr. Guthrie owns 160 acres of valuable land, on the Colton terrace, on which...Read More
Joseph K. Shields, of Riverside, was born in Cook County, Illinois, in 1853. His parents were James and Honore (Ward) Shields. His father was a native of Indiana and his mother of New York. In 1855 his father came with his family to California and located in Sierra County. He was a civil engineer by occupation and engaged in mining enterprises. At a later day he moved to Yuba County, where he engaged in farming, and in 1861 settled at Marysville. Mr. Shields was reared and schooled in that city, graduating at the high school. After graduating he engaged in work on his father’s ranch, which was located in Yuba County. In 1875 he established a meat market and livery stable near Marysville and conducted them until 1876. For the next four years Mr. Shields was engaged in various pursuits until he entered the service of the Central Pacific Railroad Company. He entered that employ as a laborer, but his abilities and strict attention to his work soon gained him promotion and he was given positions of trust and responsibility. He was for many years a clerk in the shipping department. In 1885 his health compelled him to seek some other occupation and he came to San Bernardino County and located at Riverside. He first opened a meat market and was in that business until 1887. He then became...Read More
Captain Lyman C. Waite is one of the pioneers of Riverside. His association with the foundation of the colony, the establishment of schools, churches, horticultural industries, banking, and other incorporations, commenced in the infancy of the colony, and his various enterprises, both public and private, have been conducted by that sound sense, trained business principles, and honest, straightforward dealings that are characteristic of the man. The facts obtained for a brief review of his life are of interest. Captain Waite was born in Walworth County, Wisconsin, in 1844. His parents, Sydney and Parmelia (Barker) Waite, were natives of western New York. They were pioneers of Wisconsin, having established themselves in that State as early as 1836 or 1837. His father was a farmer by occupation, and during Captain Waite’s boyhood was a resident of Sheboygan Falls, Fond du Lac and Appleton. The subject of this sketch was reared to farm life, and being of a studious disposition was given the best advantages the public schools afforded in securing an education. In 1860 he entered upon a course of study in the Lawrence University at Appleton. The war of the Rebellion and the call upon the nation’s sons to rally to the support of the old flag, and preserve our country from secession rule, enlisted the patriotic sympathy of young Waite, and he abandoned his college studies and promptly entered...Read More
William Studabecker was born in Allen County, Indiana, in 1851; he is the son of David and Elizabeth (Wilt) Studabecker. His father was a native of Pennsylvania and his mother of Maine. When Mr. Studabecker was two years of age his father moved the family to Van Wert County, Ohio, and there engaged in farming until his death in 1858. The subject of this sketch was reared to the labor attending a life upon a farm, and after the age of ten years was deprived of any schooling facilities; at twenty years of age he learned the shoemaker’s trade and followed that calling until 1873. In that year he came to California and located at Galt, Sacramento County. Here Mr. Studabecker worked at his trade and other occupations until 1876, and then came to San Luis Obispo, where he remained until 1881, and then located at Santa Barbara, where he was employed by Emerson & Co., in their boot and shoe store until 1883, when he came to San Bernardino County. Shortly after his arrival in the county he settled in Riverside, and in partnership with his brother, John A. Studabecker, commenced the publication of the Valley Echo. They sold out this journal in April, 1884, and Mr. Studabecker then went to Los Angeles and established the Commercial Printing House, which he conducted until sickness compelled him to suspend...Read More
James Fleming, a prominent lumber manufacturer and dealer at San Bernardino, came from Canada to San Bernardino County California, in June, 1880, with the intention of spending a year on the Pacific coast and then returning to the British Dominions; but, being highly pleased with the country and climate and favorably impressed with the prospective future of Southern California, he has passed ten pleasant and prosperous years in the county for which he has formed such an attachment, and has acquired such extensive business and property interests that his permanent residence is assured. For several years after his arrival he was engaged in various vocations, a portion of the time as salesman in a store. In 1886 he started in the milling and lumber business with his uncle, W. S. Lapraix, and upon the accidental death of the latter in May, 1887, by injury received at the mill in the mountains, Mr. Fleming assumed entire control of the business as executor and principal legatee of his uncle’s estate, and has carried it on ever since. This estate owns 1,700 acres of timber on the mountains north of the city, where their saw-mill is located, which Mr. Fleming estimates will require ten to twelve years to exhaust at the present rate of consumption: 600,000 to 1,000,000 feet per annum. Mr. Fleming’s lumberyard is situated on the corner of E and...Read More
F. P. Morrison, President of the First National Bank of Redlands, is a “native son of the Golden West,” being born in the city of San Francisco. His father, A. L. Morrison, came from Ohio in 1854, and was a successful businessman for many years. The subject of this sketch came to Redlands in 1882. He had considerable money, and being pleased with the location, and believing that there was a bright future for the place, he bought forty acres of land and put out 300 orange trees the first year. The improvements he has since made on this place can be better appreciated by a visit than by any written description, how-ever elaborate. No one should visit Redlands without a drive around Mr. Morrison’s home, and no one will go away without remarking that it is the most beautiful place in the valley. His place is supplied with water from Redlands Company and also Bear Valley certificates. Mr. Morrison established the bank in 1886. The officers are: president, F. P. Morrison; cashier, J. W. Wilson; vice president, A. T. Park. The directors are Frank Hinckley, G. A. Cook, George A. Crafts, H. L. Drew and J. S. Ed-wards. Mr. Morrison is treasurer of the city...Read More
Edgar James Ferrell, one of San Bernardino County’s most enterprising and successful business men, was born in Iowa in 1858, and passed the first sixteen years of his life in the Hawkeye State. In June, 1874, he came to California, and the first six years after his arrival worked at the printer’s trade in San Bernardino. Deciding to change his vocation, he entered the employ of W. R. Wiggins as a salesman in his grocery. At the close of two years Mr. Ferrell purchased the business in 1884, and for four years did an exceptionally thriving and prosperous business. He made a specialty of handling none but first class goods and built up a trade which probably ranked the largest in the county at that time. In the fall of 1888 he sold out and remained out of business for about six months, then opened his present fine store at 108 and 110 D Street. Pursuing his former excellent business methods Mr. Ferrell is rapidly regaining his very large patronage so worthily won at the old store. His store is a model of neatness and order, and with none but the best grades of goods, both staple and fancy, in stock, and, gentlemanly treatment always assured to his patrons, his is one of the most attractive business houses in the city. His goods are sold for cash or thirty...Read More
Carlos C. Sherman, M. D., is one of Riverside’s prominent and successful physicians. Although not a pioneer, he has been a resident of the city during the years of her greatest growth and prosperity, and the position he has occupied in her professional and social circles well entitles him to mention in the annals of the city. Dr. Sherman is a native of New York, and was born in Washington County, in 1847. In 1852 his parents moved to Michigan and settled in Eaton County. His father was a farmer by occupation and in this world’s goods was a poor man. Dr. Sherman was reared on the farm of his father, and from his early boyhood schooled to hard labor. His education was such as could be obtained in attendance at the district schools in the winter months; he was quick to learn and ambitious and advanced rapidly in his studies. Upon the breaking out of the civil war his patriotism was aroused and he endeavored to enter the military service. Upon his repeated trials at enlistment he was rejected on account of his age, but finally, in 1863, when but a boy of sixteen years, he succeeded in his ardent desires and was mustered in as a private of Company C, Sixth Regiment of Michigan Heavy Artillery. His regiment was assigned to duty in the Department of the...Read More
- Alabama Genealogy
- Alaska Genealogy
- Arizona Genealogy
- Arkansas Genealogy
- California Genealogy
- Colorado Genealogy
- Connecticut Genealogy
- Delaware Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy
- Hawaii Genealogy
- Idaho Genealogy
- Illinois Genealogy
- Indiana Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy
- Kansas Genealogy
- Kentucky Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy
- Maine Genealogy
- Maryland Genealogy
- Massachusetts Genealogy
- Michigan Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy
- Missouri Genealogy
- Montana Genealogy
- Nebraska Genealogy
- Nevada Genealogy
- New Hampshire Genealogy
- New Jersey Genealogy
- New Mexico Genealogy
- New York Genealogy
- North Carolina Genealogy
- North Dakota Genealogy
- Ohio Genealogy
- Oklahoma Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy
- Pennsylvania Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy
- South Carolina Genealogy
- South Dakota Genealogy
- Tennessee Genealogy
- Texas Genealogy
- Utah Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy
- Virginia Genealogy
- Washington Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy
- Wyoming Genealogy
Free Genealogy Archives
- History and Genealogy of Blue Hill, MaineAugust 29, 2016From the record of the town’s annual meeting held “March 6, 1769”, we learn that it was “Voted that Joseph Wood, Jonathan ...
- 1776-1805 Dutchess County, New York Marriage RecordsAugust 11, 2016These marriage records were transcribed by Lester Card and compiled in 1949. Mr. Card’s introduction to this transcription reads: “These ...
- The Stillwater Messenger, 1861-1874April 27, 2016In the valedictory of A. J. Van Vorhes, written when he sold the Stillwater Messenger plant to Willard S. Whitmore, I find it stated that the first ...
- Yearbooks of the Bayport-Blue Point High School, 1945-2011April 20, 2016The Bayport-Blue Point Public Library has digitized 65 years of yearbooks from the Bayport-Blue Point High School. The books have been scanned and ...
- Monroe County, New York Cemetery RecordsApril 8, 2016The extensive online listings for Monroe County, New York cemetery records should provide researchers with a clear picture of what is still ...
- Calloway County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- Boone County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- A Genealogy of Isaac Elbert BrushSeptember 22, 2015Two publications of, one typescript, and one handwritten manuscript for the Brush genealogy entitled, A Concise Genealogy of Isaac Elbert Brush and ...
- Progressive Men of Western ColoradoJune 10, 2015This manuscript in it’s basic form is a volume of 948 biographies of prominent men and women, all leading citizens of Western Colorado. Western ...
- Fort Smith (Westark) Junior College Yearbooks 1929-2003March 27, 2015The Boreham Library at the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith, enabled 72 copies of the university yearbooks to be digitized and made freely ...