Location: Russell Kansas

Biographical Sketch of George W. Smyser

Smyser, George W. of the firm of J. A. T. Dixon & Co., located on a homestead near Dorrance, in 1871 and farmed three years. He then served as County Treasurer four years, then into general hardware trade at Russell two years, then farmed two years south of the latter village, then went into business at Bunker Hill. Born in York County, Pa., in 1832, where he was raised and educated. Married in 1854 to Mary Hunes of the same place. They have three children: Leila J. Emma E. and Martin B. He is a member of the A. O. U. W and I. O. O. F He enlisted in 1864 in Company C, One Hundred and Sixty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. Re-enlisted in 1864 in Company I, Two Hundred and Ninth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. Participated in all the battles of his command. Mustered out in Alexandria, Va. in May...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Yoxall, Albert

Yoxall, Albert farmer. His parents came with the Northwestern Colony from Oshkosh, Wis. to Russell in the spring of 1871. His father opened a lumberyard in Russell and continued until 1876. Then engaged in farming, locating on Section 32. Has 160 acres of fine land, 140 of which are cultivated. His father, John Yoxall, died in October 1880. He was a native of England, born in 1815, came to America in 1869, and settled in Oshkosh, Wisconsin where he engaged in lumbering, until he came to Kansas. Albert Yoxall, his son, was born in England, January 1, 1856, married in 1881 to Miss Alice Overholswr (sic), of Lancaster County, Pa. He was engaged as associate cashier of Russell bank three years, and before and after the death of his father he has been engaged as first...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Sutter, Emile

Sutter, Emile was born in France, October 1, 1855, learned the trade of watchmaker and jeweler in Locle, Switzerland, came to America in 1879, and located in Russell, Kan. Edward & Emile Sutter, dealers in musical instruments, watches, clocks and jewelry. They opened business in March of 1879, and carry a general stock of $600. He was married May 20, 1876, to Miss Laura Amanda Marchand, a native of Switzerland. They have three children Henry E., Lina and Jennie. Edward. Members of the Russell Lodge, A. O. U....

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Walker, Joseph H.

Walker, Joseph H. farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Fairport, Russell County, located in Saline Township, Ellis County, August 5, 1882, on Section 20. He has a homestead and timber claim, and railroad land, consisting of Section 20, 640 acres of land, sixty acres of which he has under plow. He has 360 head of cattle, amongst which can be found some fine Durham stock. He first landed in Kansas in April 1881, and prospected until he located as above named. He was born in West Townsend, Mass., in 1857, and removed to Cambridge, Mass., in 1865. Lived in his native State until 1881, and attended school until he came to Kansas. His ranch is twenty miles northwest of Russell, and twenty-five miles northeast of Hays City. The Saline River has its course through his ranch. This place is known as Lost Canon Ranch. There are many natural curiosities to be found in this vicinity, amongst which are sharks’ teeth and many specimens of fossil shells, etc., which are worthy of the attention of the...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Sutter, Edward

Sutter, Edward a native of France, born February 6, 1858. Went to Locle, Switzerland, with his brother Emile, and learned the same trade, but Edward came to America in 1876 and located in Wooster, Ohio, remaining there a year. Then he came to Kirwin, Kan., where he engaged in the jewelry business, and thence he came to Russell. He is unmarried. Members of the Russell Lodge, A. O. U....

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Eastland, W. G.

Eastland, W. G. of the firm of Eastland & Pierce, attorneys-at-law, came to Russell in the summer of 1872, and engaged in the practice of law. He served as County Attorney two terms, and was Representative to the Kansas Legislature for the years 1879-1880. He is a native of Mississippi; his parents moved from that State to Richland County, Wis., in 1853, where he was raised and educated. He was a member of the Wisconsin State University for a short time. Began the study of law in 1867, entering the law office of Eastland & Eastland, his uncles, and was admitted to the bar of the Circuit Court of Richland County in 1870. Began the practice of law in Russell. He enlisted in the three-months’ service in 1864, in Company D, Fortieth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out at Madison, Wis., in the fall of the same year. He is a member of Russell Lodge, No. 119, I. O. O. F. He was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of Kansas and of the bar of the United States Circuit Court for the District of...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Banker,Louis

Banker, Louis first came to Russell in 1876 and took charge of a general store for G. A. Hart, five years. He then became a partner in Giddings, Banker & Co. Giddings, Banker & Co., dealers in general merchandise. They opened trade September 14, 1881, and carry a stock of about $8,000, in a general line of merchandise. The firm is composed of Louis Banker, R. S. Giddings and M. A. Blaine, of Middleburg, Mass. Born in Belleville, Canada West, in 1858, went to Rosendale and Waupun, Wis., in 1864, with parents and to Cass County, Iowa in 1871, then to...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Giddings, R. S.

Giddings, R. S. of Giddings, Banker & Co., first came to Russell in January 1878 and engaged as clerk for a general merchandise store until he became a partner in the above firm. He was born in Seneca County, N. Y., in 1852. Mr. Giddings lived in his native county until 1876, when he went to Joliet, Ill., and clerked in a dry goods house until 1878 when he came to Russell. This is an enterprising firm and deserves the patronage of the...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Harshbarger, C. M.

Harshbarger, C. M. County Clerk, first came to Russell in the fall of 1870. He engaged in farming which occupation he still follows. He owns one-half section of land, raises stock and cultivates about 110 acres of his farm, was elected County Clerk in 1873, and by re-election has held that office ever since, excepting from 1878 to 1880, (one term.) During the interval he was out of above office he was Township Trustee. He is the first settler in Russell County, and located on the first land by a squatter’s right. He has seen many of the variations in pioneer life on the Great Plains. He was born in Spencer County, Ind., in 1841, moved to Keokuk County, Iowa with parents in 1850, where he lived until he came to Kansas. He was raised on a farm, consequently continues an interest in that substantial occupation. He enlisted in 1861, in Company K, Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in all the battles of his command; mustered out in July 1865, was married in 1876, to Miss E. J. Haling, a native of Fayette County, Iowa. They have four children; Charles B., Selma C., Clara E. and Grace A. He is a member of Russell Lodge No. 119, I. O. O. F. Deputy Clerk of the District Court for the past two...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Hart, Q. A.

Hart, Q. A. dealer in general merchandise, opened business October 2, 1872. He now has the oldest established store in Russell. He erected the first store building in the village in the summer of 1874, size of which is 22×60 feet at a cost of $1,800, since built an addition 12×40 feet at a cost of $500. He now carries a stock of $10,000. He owns 320 acres of land nearly all cultivated. Has been Township Treasurer and City Councilman four terms. Born April 2, 1825, in Upper Canada. Was raised on a farm, moved to Neenah, Wis., in 1856. Moved to Waupun, Dodge Co. 1865, following farming. Enlisted February 24, 1864, in Company F, Twenty-first, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, participated in fourteen battles, and never received a scratch, was mustered out in July, 1865, when he returned to Wisconsin and farmed until he came to Kansas; married in 1852 to Miss Deborah A. Comer, of Upper Canada. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a member of the G. A. R. of Waupun,...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of McKeen, D. W.

McKeen, D. W. physician and surgeon, located in Russell, Kan., in December, 1878, where he engaged in the practice of his profession. He was born in Ackworth, N. H., in 1852; began the study of medicine at the age of twenty-one; he was educated at the Kimbal. Union Academy of Meridan, N. H., graduating in June, 1875; began reading medicine the latter year; attended lectures at Long Island College, and at the hospital, Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1878. He graduated from the college of physicians and surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa; began the practice of medicine in Russell; he has been county physician two years. Is a member of the A. O. U. W., and the examining physician for that order. Was married in May, 1882, to Miss Ella B. Loring, a native of Missouri, recently of Wichita,...

Read More

Biography of Mann, Stillman

Mann, Stillman proprietor of the Russell House. Mr. Mann erected the stone part of his hotel in the summer of 1877; it is 25×48 feet, and three stories high. There is also a wooden addition, 26×68 feet. The hotel cost $7,000. Capacity is about seventy-five guests. He first came to Russell in April 1871, with the Northwestern Colony from Eastern Wisconsin; at that time there was only a section house in the place. He, in company with H. W. Tusten, built a small shanty, and both families lived in that until other arrangements could be made. Mrs. Mann first began to bake bread and sell it to settlers, and finally, after they got more room, they began to lodge people, and that is the way the Russell House first started. The Northwestern Colony were citizens of Ripon, Oshkosh and Fond du Lac, Wis. The biographies of the most active men in this colony will appear in the history of Russell County. Dr. C. W. Bond came with the colony, but remained only a short time and returned to Wisconsin. The only meat the settlers had for over two years was buffalo, deer, antelope and elk, which roamed over the plains in vast herds, and could be shot down in any direction. Mr. Mann was born in Orange County, Vt., in 1825, where he lived until he was twenty-one years...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Moses, W. H.

Moses, W. H. of the firm Lawson & Moses, dealers in a general line of dry goods, gents’ furnishing goods, clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, groceries, queensware and crockery. They opened business October 28, 1877. They occupy rooms 26×100 feet and 16×26 feet, and carry an average stock of $15,000. They first opened with a stock of $4,000. Mr. Moses was born in McHenry County, Ill., in 1852. He went to Republican City, Neb., in 1870, and embarked in merchandising, following it three years; he then went into the stock business a few months; he then returned to McHenry County, Ill., to replenish; he clerked there until he came to Kansas. He is a member of the Russell Lodge, No. 175, A., F. & A....

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Perce, William

Perce, William dealer in a general line of groceries, provisions and queensware, opened trade on October 4, 1880. He carries a stock of about $2,500. Came to Russell in 1874 and farmed five years. Was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, in 1817, and raised as a farmer. Moved to Springfield, Ill., in 1849, and engaged in the manufacture of brooms a few years. He was City Marshal of Springfield for one year, and Captain of the Police in 1860-61. Enlisted as First Lieutenant in Company C, Eleventh Missouri Volunteers, in July 1861. Resigned the next May on account of ill-health, and re-enlisted again in 1862, in the Seventieth Illinois Volunteers, a three months’ regiment, and was elected Captain of Company B of this regiment. Served four months. Went to farming in 1863, and was appointed United States Deputy Marshal, under John Logan, in 1869, serving two years. Was also an operative of the Secret Service for the Southern District of Illinois. He was married in 1842 to Miss Roxana Vittium, a native of Ohio. They have five children – Mary, now married to Mr. S. Spindle; E. I., married to W. T. Shaw; Wm. A., married; Lewis A., married, and Clarinda A., now Mrs. J. F. Dollison. He has been Justice of the Peace in Russell for many...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Parker, F. L.

Parker, F. L. dealer in grain, lumber and coal. Mr. W. C. Hobbs opened the business in 1871. The firm was changed to Hobbs & Parker in 1879. They carry a stock of about $10,000 in lumber, building material, etc. Mr. Parker came to Russell in the fall of 1877, and became interested in the above business. He was born in Ann Arbor, Mich., July 27, 1848. Moved to Fond du Lac, Wis., with his parents in 1851, where they resided until the fall of 1855, when they moved to Oshkosh, Wis. At a suitable age he engaged in the hardware business, in which he remained about five years. He then embarked in the manufacture of handles, also the woodwork of carriages and wagons, until he came to Kansas. He was married on March 28, 1871, to Miss Lizzie V. Hobbs. They have two children – William H. and Frederick L. Mr. Parker is a member of Pioneer Lodge, No. 43, A. O. U. W., of Russell. Has been a member of the City Council,...

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest