Location: Russell County KS

Biographical Sketch of McKeen, D. W.

McKeen, D. W. physician and surgeon, located in Russell, Kan., in December, 1878, where he engaged in the practice of his profession. He was born in Ackworth, N. H., in 1852; began the study of medicine at the age of twenty-one; he was educated at the Kimbal. Union Academy of Meridan, N. H., graduating in June, 1875; began reading medicine the latter year; attended lectures at Long Island College, and at the hospital, Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1878. He graduated from the college of physicians and surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa; began the practice of medicine in Russell; he has been county physician two years. Is a member of the A. O. U. W., and the examining physician for that order. Was married in May, 1882, to Miss Ella B. Loring, a native of Missouri, recently of Wichita,...

Read More

Biography of Mann, Stillman

Mann, Stillman proprietor of the Russell House. Mr. Mann erected the stone part of his hotel in the summer of 1877; it is 25×48 feet, and three stories high. There is also a wooden addition, 26×68 feet. The hotel cost $7,000. Capacity is about seventy-five guests. He first came to Russell in April 1871, with the Northwestern Colony from Eastern Wisconsin; at that time there was only a section house in the place. He, in company with H. W. Tusten, built a small shanty, and both families lived in that until other arrangements could be made. Mrs. Mann first began to bake bread and sell it to settlers, and finally, after they got more room, they began to lodge people, and that is the way the Russell House first started. The Northwestern Colony were citizens of Ripon, Oshkosh and Fond du Lac, Wis. The biographies of the most active men in this colony will appear in the history of Russell County. Dr. C. W. Bond came with the colony, but remained only a short time and returned to Wisconsin. The only meat the settlers had for over two years was buffalo, deer, antelope and elk, which roamed over the plains in vast herds, and could be shot down in any direction. Mr. Mann was born in Orange County, Vt., in 1825, where he lived until he was twenty-one years...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Moses, W. H.

Moses, W. H. of the firm Lawson & Moses, dealers in a general line of dry goods, gents’ furnishing goods, clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, groceries, queensware and crockery. They opened business October 28, 1877. They occupy rooms 26×100 feet and 16×26 feet, and carry an average stock of $15,000. They first opened with a stock of $4,000. Mr. Moses was born in McHenry County, Ill., in 1852. He went to Republican City, Neb., in 1870, and embarked in merchandising, following it three years; he then went into the stock business a few months; he then returned to McHenry County, Ill., to replenish; he clerked there until he came to Kansas. He is a member of the Russell Lodge, No. 175, A., F. & A....

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Ackerman, Theodore

Ackerman, Theodore president of Russell Bank. This bank was opened for business July 10, 1877. The bank building was erected in 1878, at a cost of $3,700 It is built of stone, 22×40 feet, two stories high. Charles P. Copeland is cashier. E. Copeland, of Middletown Springs, Vt., is interested in the same. The bank correspondents are: United States National Bank of New York City, First National Bank of Chicago, Ill.; Bank of Kansas City, Mo.; and First National Bank of Leavenworth, Kan The deposits equal $40,000 to $90,000. Mr. Ackerman first came to Russell, Kan., in 1871, with the Northwestern Colony. He then embarked in merchandising until 1878. He was born in Rodendale, Wis., in 1849. He began life as a clerk for his father, Henry I. Ackerman, in general merchandise, which he continued until coming to Kansas. Was married, in 1877, to Miss Libbie Holly, a native of New York State. They have one daughter Myrtle Jessie. He was the first County Clerk of Russell County; was also secretary of the Northwestern Colony, and is now president of it. He has held several town offices,...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Oliver, J. W.

Oliver, J. W. dealer in general line of dry goods, notions, clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, and groceries. He opened the trade June 6, 1879, under the firm name of Oliver & Michaelis, and changed to the present style in January 1882. He occupies rooms 22×72 feet, first floor and basement; carries an average stock of $18,000. He came to Russell in May 1877, and engaged in the hotel business until March 1879. He was born in Wabash County, Ind., in 1840; lived on a farm until twenty-one years old; he then enlisted in Company H, Seventy-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; participated in all the battles of his command until detailed to division headquarters. He was in Sherman’s campaigns in the South; detailed as Second Lieutenant; mustered out in the spring of 1865. He then engaged in merchandising in Clinton, Ill, until he came to Kansas. He was married in June 1881, to Rebecca Billingsly, of Axtel, Kan. They have one son – Benjamin M. Mr. Oliver is a member of the A. O. U. W., of Russell,...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Banks, W. E.

Banks, W. E. dealer in a general line of drugs, medicines, books, stationery and druggists’ sundries. He opened the business in 1877, and carries a stock of $5,000. He first came to Russell in 1877, and opened the above business. Born in Putnam County, Ind., in 1855, Parents moved to Appanoose County, Iowa, in 1864. He began business in life as clerk in a drug store in 1874. Lived in Iowa until he came to Kansas. Married in 1878, to Miss Emma Crist, of Indiana. They have two sons – Emmett E. and Eugene O. He is the present Mayor of Russell, and a member of Russell Lodge, No. 119, I. O. O. F.; member of the City Council in...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Parker, F. L.

Parker, F. L. dealer in grain, lumber and coal. Mr. W. C. Hobbs opened the business in 1871. The firm was changed to Hobbs & Parker in 1879. They carry a stock of about $10,000 in lumber, building material, etc. Mr. Parker came to Russell in the fall of 1877, and became interested in the above business. He was born in Ann Arbor, Mich., July 27, 1848. Moved to Fond du Lac, Wis., with his parents in 1851, where they resided until the fall of 1855, when they moved to Oshkosh, Wis. At a suitable age he engaged in the hardware business, in which he remained about five years. He then embarked in the manufacture of handles, also the woodwork of carriages and wagons, until he came to Kansas. He was married on March 28, 1871, to Miss Lizzie V. Hobbs. They have two children – William H. and Frederick L. Mr. Parker is a member of Pioneer Lodge, No. 43, A. O. U. W., of Russell. Has been a member of the City Council,...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Beemer, D. S.

Beemer, D. S. photographer and undertaker. Keeps a general stock of $1,000 in undertakers’ goods. He came to Russell October 7, 1877, and engaged in undertaking business in 1878; he also began the real estate business in the spring of 1882. He was born in Luzerne County, Pa., in 1849, living in his native State until he came to Kansas. He spent three years as salesman of farm machinery in Iowa. Returned to Pennsylvania and remained four years. Learned painters’ trade, but did not follow it, as it disagreed with him. He was married in 1881, to Miss Edith Tisdale, a native of Canada West. Mr. Beemer is a member of Russell Lodge, No. 177, A., F. & A. M., and A. O. U. W., No....

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Perce, William

Perce, William dealer in a general line of groceries, provisions and queensware, opened trade on October 4, 1880. He carries a stock of about $2,500. Came to Russell in 1874 and farmed five years. Was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, in 1817, and raised as a farmer. Moved to Springfield, Ill., in 1849, and engaged in the manufacture of brooms a few years. He was City Marshal of Springfield for one year, and Captain of the Police in 1860-61. Enlisted as First Lieutenant in Company C, Eleventh Missouri Volunteers, in July 1861. Resigned the next May on account of ill-health, and re-enlisted again in 1862, in the Seventieth Illinois Volunteers, a three months’ regiment, and was elected Captain of Company B of this regiment. Served four months. Went to farming in 1863, and was appointed United States Deputy Marshal, under John Logan, in 1869, serving two years. Was also an operative of the Secret Service for the Southern District of Illinois. He was married in 1842 to Miss Roxana Vittium, a native of Ohio. They have five children – Mary, now married to Mr. S. Spindle; E. I., married to W. T. Shaw; Wm. A., married; Lewis A., married, and Clarinda A., now Mrs. J. F. Dollison. He has been Justice of the Peace in Russell for many...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Bradshaw, George T.

Bradshaw, George T. dealer in grain, coal, flour, feed, paints, etc., opened business in 1876. The firm of Knight, Bradshaw & Potter are proprietors of Fairport Flouring Mills, which are located at Fairport, fifteen miles northwest of Russell. These mills are 38×40 feet, three stories high, built of stone in 1879, at a cost of $12,000. The mills are propelled by both steam and water. The capacity is sixty barrels in twenty-four hours. Mr. Bradshaw first came to Russell in April, 1871, with the Northwestern Colony. He was born in Schenectady County, N. Y., in 1836, and reared on a farm. He moved to Waupun, Wis., in January, 1867, where he was principal of South Ward School two years. He then clerked for a grain firm two years. He graduated in the Jonesville Seminary, Saratoga, N.Y. He was a member of freshmen, sophomore and junior classes of Union College, Schenectady, N. Y. He was married in 1863 to Miss D. O. Weld, of Wells, Hamilton Co., N. Y. They have two children, Marion and Charles W. He is a member of A. O. U. W., Pioneer Lodge, No....

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Robb, J. W.

Robb, J. W. physician and surgeon, came here in September 1879, where he has since continued the practice of medicine. He was born in Shelby County, Ky., in 1839, and got a common school education in his native place. He then attended the Shelbyville, Ky., Academy, under Prof. J. W. Dodd, graduating in 1858. Began to study medicine in the same year, and after a year or two, attended the University at Louisville, Ky., and graduated from the medical department of that college in 1862. Began the practice of medicine at Shelbyville, Ky., where he continued until 1875. He then took charge of the Masonic Widows’ and Orphans’ Home, at Louisville, Ky. Having charge three years, he soon after came to Russell, Kan. Was married in 1864 to Miss Sallie E. Robinson, a native of Shelby County, Ky. The Doctor is a member and Master of the Russell Lodge No. 177, A., F. & A....

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest