Select Page

Location: Russell County KS

Biographical Sketch of Bradbury, J. M.

Bradbury, J. M. dealer in grain, farm implements, and general merchandise. Began the grain trade in 1873, coming to Bunker Hill in February 1871. He bought the first grain and erected the first elevator in the village in 1878. The elevator is 24×36 feet, 28 feet high with a capacity of 10,000 bushels. He carries a general stock in merchandise of $8,000. He has officiated as Probate Judge and Clerk of the Court, each one term. Born in Ross County, Ohio in 1841. Was raised and educated in his native state. He began business in life as a clerk then photographing, etc. Enlisted in 1861 in Company A, Eighteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, participated in all battles of his command, discharged on account of heart disease in 1863. He then engaged in photographing two years, married in 1876 to Miss Ella Exline, a native of Ohio, she was raised in Minnesota. He is a member of the Masonic order of Ohio. Mr. Bradbury assisted to organize the town in 1871. Bradbury & Cooper own 800 acres of fine coal land. The coal is of a bituminous quality. The veins of coal are from 16 to 42 inches in thickness. The coalmines are located twelve miles northeast of Wilson in Fairfield and Plymouth townships, in Ellsworth...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Dixon, James J. A. T.

Dixon, James J. A. T. dealer in dry goods, groceries, hardware, etc., opened business in February 1882 and carry a stock of $3,500. Mr. Dixon first came to Bunker Hill October 5, 1872 for his health, and after eighteen months he began agricultural pursuits and became pastor of the Congregational Church, since which time he has followed preaching irregularly. In the fall of 1875 he was elected to represent Russell County in Kansas State Legislature. Re-elected to same position in the fall of 1876. He was appointed to fill vacancy of Probate Judge in 1878, elected to the office the fall following. He has been a member of the County Board for examination of teachers for eight years. Born in Bond County, Ill. in 1828. Raised on a farm. Began studies for college in 1846. Graduated from college at Jacksonville, Ill., in 1852 Studied theology at Lane Seminary, Walnut Hills, Ohio. Was principal of an academy in Livingston County, Ill., eighteen months. He then began preaching the Gospel at Metamora, Ill. Went into service in the spring of 1864 as a private in Company H, One Hundred and Forty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was commissioned Chaplain of his regiment with the rank of Major and served until mustered out, September 1, 1865. He then preached in Northern Illinois until 1871 when he came to Omaha, Neb. and preached two...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Fleck, Ira S.

Fleck, Ira S. dealer in agricultural implements, and farmer is the son of Gabriel and Rebecca Fleck, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania. Ira S. was born in Sinking Valley, Blain (sic) Co., Pa., March 24, 1847. While a lad he attended common school, and such advantages as the public schools offered were the only means he ever had of receiving an education. As he became older he would work on the farm in summer and attend school in winter, and this course he pursued until 1866, when his time was divided between farm work and teaching. In March, 1870 he moved to Dixon, Illinois where he continued his business of farming and teaching until the spring of 1873, when he moved to Kansas and located in Russell County, about three miles south of the village of Bunker Hill, where his time was given to farming exclusively. On January 27, 1874 he was married at Dixon, Ill., to Miss Sarah Fleck, a native of Blair County, Pa. One child has been the issue of this marriage: Alice May, born June 8, 1875. Mr. Fleck has held various township offices and in the fall of 1874 was elected Superintendent of Public Instruction of Russell County, which office he held for three successive terms. In the fall of 1880 he was elected to represent Russell County in the General Assembly,...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Gross, Daniel

Gross, Daniel first came to Abilene, Kan. in 1874 and clerked some time, finally came to Bunker Hill and became a member of the firm of Eyler & Gross, dealers in general merchandise, opening the business July 21, 1879, and carrying a stock of about $12,000, occupying two rooms, 22×40 and 22×50 feet. Mr. Gross was born in York County, Pa in 1857. Was raised and educated in his native county; married in 1879 to Miss Katie Gardner, a native of...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Moore, O. S.

Moore, O. S. proprietor of the Golden Rule steam flouring-mills. These mills were erected in 1880, size of which are 32×52 feet and 45 feet high, built of stone, capacity is 100 barrels in twenty-four hours, cost is $22,000. They do an exchange business only in custom work. They employ six men besides their own help. Mr. O. S. Moore first came to Bunker Hill in August 1878. He was born in Brown County, Ohio in 1848; was raised and educated in Rush County, Ind.; family moving there in 1854. Married in 1879 to Miss Carrie S. Edwards, of Binghamton, N. Y. They have two children: Jessie G. and an infant son not yet named. He is a member of Russell Lodge No. 115, I. O. O....

Read More

Biographical Sketch of George W. Smyser

Smyser, George W. of the firm of J. A. T. Dixon & Co., located on a homestead near Dorrance, in 1871 and farmed three years. He then served as County Treasurer four years, then into general hardware trade at Russell two years, then farmed two years south of the latter village, then went into business at Bunker Hill. Born in York County, Pa., in 1832, where he was raised and educated. Married in 1854 to Mary Hunes of the same place. They have three children: Leila J. Emma E. and Martin B. He is a member of the A. O. U. W and I. O. O. F He enlisted in 1864 in Company C, One Hundred and Sixty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. Re-enlisted in 1864 in Company I, Two Hundred and Ninth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. Participated in all the battles of his command. Mustered out in Alexandria, Va. in May...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Ackerman, Theodore

Ackerman, Theodore president of Russell Bank. This bank was opened for business July 10, 1877. The bank building was erected in 1878, at a cost of $3,700 It is built of stone, 22×40 feet, two stories high. Charles P. Copeland is cashier. E. Copeland, of Middletown Springs, Vt., is interested in the same. The bank correspondents are: United States National Bank of New York City, First National Bank of Chicago, Ill.; Bank of Kansas City, Mo.; and First National Bank of Leavenworth, Kan The deposits equal $40,000 to $90,000. Mr. Ackerman first came to Russell, Kan., in 1871, with the Northwestern Colony. He then embarked in merchandising until 1878. He was born in Rodendale, Wis., in 1849. He began life as a clerk for his father, Henry I. Ackerman, in general merchandise, which he continued until coming to Kansas. Was married, in 1877, to Miss Libbie Holly, a native of New York State. They have one daughter Myrtle Jessie. He was the first County Clerk of Russell County; was also secretary of the Northwestern Colony, and is now president of it. He has held several town offices,...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Oliver, J. W.

Oliver, J. W. dealer in general line of dry goods, notions, clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, and groceries. He opened the trade June 6, 1879, under the firm name of Oliver & Michaelis, and changed to the present style in January 1882. He occupies rooms 22×72 feet, first floor and basement; carries an average stock of $18,000. He came to Russell in May 1877, and engaged in the hotel business until March 1879. He was born in Wabash County, Ind., in 1840; lived on a farm until twenty-one years old; he then enlisted in Company H, Seventy-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; participated in all the battles of his command until detailed to division headquarters. He was in Sherman’s campaigns in the South; detailed as Second Lieutenant; mustered out in the spring of 1865. He then engaged in merchandising in Clinton, Ill, until he came to Kansas. He was married in June 1881, to Rebecca Billingsly, of Axtel, Kan. They have one son – Benjamin M. Mr. Oliver is a member of the A. O. U. W., of Russell,...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Banks, W. E.

Banks, W. E. dealer in a general line of drugs, medicines, books, stationery and druggists’ sundries. He opened the business in 1877, and carries a stock of $5,000. He first came to Russell in 1877, and opened the above business. Born in Putnam County, Ind., in 1855, Parents moved to Appanoose County, Iowa, in 1864. He began business in life as clerk in a drug store in 1874. Lived in Iowa until he came to Kansas. Married in 1878, to Miss Emma Crist, of Indiana. They have two sons – Emmett E. and Eugene O. He is the present Mayor of Russell, and a member of Russell Lodge, No. 119, I. O. O. F.; member of the City Council in...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Parker, F. L.

Parker, F. L. dealer in grain, lumber and coal. Mr. W. C. Hobbs opened the business in 1871. The firm was changed to Hobbs & Parker in 1879. They carry a stock of about $10,000 in lumber, building material, etc. Mr. Parker came to Russell in the fall of 1877, and became interested in the above business. He was born in Ann Arbor, Mich., July 27, 1848. Moved to Fond du Lac, Wis., with his parents in 1851, where they resided until the fall of 1855, when they moved to Oshkosh, Wis. At a suitable age he engaged in the hardware business, in which he remained about five years. He then embarked in the manufacture of handles, also the woodwork of carriages and wagons, until he came to Kansas. He was married on March 28, 1871, to Miss Lizzie V. Hobbs. They have two children – William H. and Frederick L. Mr. Parker is a member of Pioneer Lodge, No. 43, A. O. U. W., of Russell. Has been a member of the City Council,...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Beemer, D. S.

Beemer, D. S. photographer and undertaker. Keeps a general stock of $1,000 in undertakers’ goods. He came to Russell October 7, 1877, and engaged in undertaking business in 1878; he also began the real estate business in the spring of 1882. He was born in Luzerne County, Pa., in 1849, living in his native State until he came to Kansas. He spent three years as salesman of farm machinery in Iowa. Returned to Pennsylvania and remained four years. Learned painters’ trade, but did not follow it, as it disagreed with him. He was married in 1881, to Miss Edith Tisdale, a native of Canada West. Mr. Beemer is a member of Russell Lodge, No. 177, A., F. & A. M., and A. O. U. W., No....

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Perce, William

Perce, William dealer in a general line of groceries, provisions and queensware, opened trade on October 4, 1880. He carries a stock of about $2,500. Came to Russell in 1874 and farmed five years. Was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, in 1817, and raised as a farmer. Moved to Springfield, Ill., in 1849, and engaged in the manufacture of brooms a few years. He was City Marshal of Springfield for one year, and Captain of the Police in 1860-61. Enlisted as First Lieutenant in Company C, Eleventh Missouri Volunteers, in July 1861. Resigned the next May on account of ill-health, and re-enlisted again in 1862, in the Seventieth Illinois Volunteers, a three months’ regiment, and was elected Captain of Company B of this regiment. Served four months. Went to farming in 1863, and was appointed United States Deputy Marshal, under John Logan, in 1869, serving two years. Was also an operative of the Secret Service for the Southern District of Illinois. He was married in 1842 to Miss Roxana Vittium, a native of Ohio. They have five children – Mary, now married to Mr. S. Spindle; E. I., married to W. T. Shaw; Wm. A., married; Lewis A., married, and Clarinda A., now Mrs. J. F. Dollison. He has been Justice of the Peace in Russell for many...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Bradshaw, George T.

Bradshaw, George T. dealer in grain, coal, flour, feed, paints, etc., opened business in 1876. The firm of Knight, Bradshaw & Potter are proprietors of Fairport Flouring Mills, which are located at Fairport, fifteen miles northwest of Russell. These mills are 38×40 feet, three stories high, built of stone in 1879, at a cost of $12,000. The mills are propelled by both steam and water. The capacity is sixty barrels in twenty-four hours. Mr. Bradshaw first came to Russell in April, 1871, with the Northwestern Colony. He was born in Schenectady County, N. Y., in 1836, and reared on a farm. He moved to Waupun, Wis., in January, 1867, where he was principal of South Ward School two years. He then clerked for a grain firm two years. He graduated in the Jonesville Seminary, Saratoga, N.Y. He was a member of freshmen, sophomore and junior classes of Union College, Schenectady, N. Y. He was married in 1863 to Miss D. O. Weld, of Wells, Hamilton Co., N. Y. They have two children, Marion and Charles W. He is a member of A. O. U. W., Pioneer Lodge, No....

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Robb, J. W.

Robb, J. W. physician and surgeon, came here in September 1879, where he has since continued the practice of medicine. He was born in Shelby County, Ky., in 1839, and got a common school education in his native place. He then attended the Shelbyville, Ky., Academy, under Prof. J. W. Dodd, graduating in 1858. Began to study medicine in the same year, and after a year or two, attended the University at Louisville, Ky., and graduated from the medical department of that college in 1862. Began the practice of medicine at Shelbyville, Ky., where he continued until 1875. He then took charge of the Masonic Widows’ and Orphans’ Home, at Louisville, Ky. Having charge three years, he soon after came to Russell, Kan. Was married in 1864 to Miss Sallie E. Robinson, a native of Shelby County, Ky. The Doctor is a member and Master of the Russell Lodge No. 177, A., F. & A....

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Chadbourne, J. S.

Chadbourne, J. S. Clerk of the District Court, first came here in 1872. He engaged in farming a few years, and was telegraph operator for three years. Was elected to his present position in the fall of 1878, and has since held the office by re-election. Is now Deputy County Clerk, and Deputy County Superintendent of Schools. He was born in Harrison, Me., in 1843; lived in his native State until 1856, when he went to Ripon, Wis., and after a number of years learned telegraphy, and became operator there for two years. He then engaged in lumbering until he came to Kansas. He was married, in 1880, to Miss Ella A. Bowen, of Russell, Kan. They have one son – Willie S. Mr. Chadbourne is a member of Russell Lodge, No. 177, A., F. & A. M.; is also a member of the Congregational...

Read More

Search


It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest