Location: Riverside California

Biography of Homas P. Drinkwater

There is probably no section of Southern California that can produce such thorough horticulturists as the Riverside colony, and it is noticeable that some of the most proficient of those are men who have spent their previous lives in the countinghouse or factories of the East; men who have had no previous opportunity of studying the marvels to be found in nature’s horticultural productions; but it is equally noticeable that such men have been ranked to pursuits that have called fur skilled labor or mental work. Some of the finest work in horticulture of this date is being done by that class of men. The subject of this sketch is a fair example of that class, who came to Riverside in 1879, and first located oil Bandini Avenue and purchased seven and one-half acres of land, which he improved and planted in orange trees. This place he sold in 1882, to M. S. Rowell; he then purchased from B. W. Handy, nine acres on Cypress Avenue, and later, the ten acres adjoining this on the south. There were but inferior improvements on these places, but Mr. Drinkwater raised nursery stock for new trees, budded the old trees, fertilized the soil, thoroughly cultivated and irrigated, and in a few years produced some of the finest groves in this section. In 1886 lie sold the south ten acres to H. Jaracki....

Read More

Biography of Robert S. Crombie

Robert S. Crombie, the senior member of the well-known firm of Crombie & Crombie, wholesale and retail grocers, of Riverside, came here in 1886, and in October of that year entered into mercantile pursuits, establishing his present business under the firm name of Newberry & Crombie, with Mr. J. R. Newberry as his partner. This firm continued until March 1888, when his brother, Mr. G. M. Crombie, bought the interest of Mr. Newberry, and the firm of Crombie & Crombie was formed. The business was enlarged and extended and a branch house established by the firm in Arlington. Mr. Crombie is at the head of one of the most substantial business houses in Riverside, which will compare favorably with any business enterprise of its character in the county. His success is not the result of chance or speculation, but has been secured by a strict attention to the wants of the community and a prompt supplying of them with first-class goods at reasonable prices. The subject of this sketch was born in Richmond, province of Quebec, Canada, in 1860, the son of William and Mary J. (Montgomery) Crombie. His father was a native of Scotland, his mother of Ireland. Mr. Crombie was reared upon his father’s farm, but given the benefit of a good education, graduating from the St. Francis College of Richmond in 1879. In that year he...

Read More

Biography of Benjamin H. Milliken

Benjamin H. Milliken, senior member of the firm of Milliken & Jaques, proprietors of the Riverside Paint Store, one of the leading business houses in the city. The subject of this sketch was born in McCracken County, Kentucky, in 1847. His father, Judge John Milliken, was a native of North Carolina, who came to Kentucky in his youth, and was reared in that State. He there married Miss Harriet L. Hord. He was a lawyer by profession, and prominent in political and judicial circles. He lost his life in the cause of the South, meeting his death in 1861, while serving as a quartermaster in the Confederate Army. Mr. Milliken was reared and schooled in his native place, and, like his father, was loyal to the sunny South and her cause. At the commence meat of the war his youth prompted his enlisting in her armies, but it did not deter him from devoting himself to the service of the Confederacy as a volunteer aid and scout. Upon one of his visits to Paducah he was captured by the Federal troops, tried as a spy and condemned to be shot. The defective evidence upon which he was condemned and his youth enlisted the justice and sympathy of General Halleck, and he set aside the sentence and ordered his release from confinement. Mr. Milliken then rejoined the Confederate army and...

Read More

Biography of Homer P. Moored

Homer P. Moored was born in the town of Hamden, Connecticut, in 1832. His parents were Orrin and Hamel (Hayes) Moore, both natives of New England. His father was a farmer, and Mr. Moore was reared to that calling. In 1857 he started for the great West, and located in Rice County, Minnesota, where he took up Government land and engaged in farming. In 1862 Mr. Moore responded to the call of his country for soldiers, and enlisted in Company A, Seventh Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. The Indian outbreak soon after rendered troops necessary in northwestern Minnesota and Dakota, and his regiment was sent in that direction. He participated in that campaign until the attendant hardships so impaired his health that he was granted a furlough. Upon the expiration of his leave of absence he was detailed as a hospital steward, and placed on duty in the military hospital of Hartford and New Haven, Connecticut. He remained in that service until lie was finally so broken in health that he was discharged in 1864. He remained in Connecticut, and upon a restoration of health entered into business in Hartford, as a flour, grain and hay dealer. He continued his mercantile pursuits until 1874. In that year he came to Riverside, and purchased a twenty-acre tract of land on the north side of Bandini Avenue, about one-half mile west of Brockton...

Read More

Biography of Duff G. Maynard

Duff G. Maynard, of the firm of Trowbridge & Maynard, is a native of California, dating his birth in San Francisco in 1865. His parents were Lafayette and Mary E. (Green) Maynard, natives of Virginia and representatives of some of the oldest families of that State. His father was an officer in the United States Navy, and participated in the Mexican War, after which he resigned from the service and located in San Francisco as a capitalist and real-estate dealer. He died in that city in 1874. The subject of this sketch was reared in San Francisco and educated in, and closing his studies by graduating at, Trinity School in 1880. He then entered into mercantile life as a clerk in the book and stationery house of Cunningham, Curtis & Welch. His natural abilities and strict attention to business enabled him to advance rapidly, and he was promoted to higher grades of service until he was placed at the head of one of the important departments of the establishment. Mr. Maynard continued in that employ until 1888, when he came to Riverside and entered into his present business with his friend and associate, Mr. Trowbridge. He has been successful in his enterprise, and is destined to take a lead in the business and social circles of Riverside. His straightforward business principles, manly bearing and genial temperament have gained him...

Read More

Biography of Charles C. Trowbridge

Charles C. Trowbridge, the head of the firm of Trowbridge & Maynard, was born in Detroit, Michigan, in 1864, and was reared and schooled in that city until 1876, when he came to San Francisco. The first five years in that city was spent in the University College and Trinity School, and at the age of seventeen years he entered into mercantile pursuits in the well-known house of Cunningham, Curtis & Welch, and remained in their employ until he came to Riverside in the fall of 1887, and the next spring entered into the present business. Mr. Trowbridge promptly identified himself with Riverside’s interests and people, and is liberal in supporting such enterprises as will advance the city in her march of prosperity. He is a first-class businessman, and by his able management has placed the firm of Trowbridge & Maynard in the ranks of the leading and substantial firms of Riverside, and his courteous and genial manner has gained him a large circle of friends. In 1888 lie was appointed Deputy County Clerk; politically, he is a Republican. In 1889 Mr. Trowbridge was united in marriage with Miss Edith S. Sharp, the daughter of William Sharp, a prominent and well-known capitalist of San Francisco. Trowbridge & Maynard Among the business firms of Riverside, there is none more worthy of mention in the history of the enterprise of that...

Read More

Biography of Horace Saunders

Horace Saunders, one of the representative orange-growers of Riverside, owns a ten-acre tract on Colton avenue, on the corner of Russell street, about one mile north of the business center of Riverside. This grove was planted with seedling oranges as early as 1872 by its then owner, W. P Russell, and later many of the seedlings were replaced by budded trees. The grove now contains 800 seedlings and 400 budded orange trees, besides a small variety of deciduous fruits for family use. Mr. Saunders purchased the place in 1880, and has since conducted its cultivation. He has made many improvements and secured a success in his horticultural industry, his orange grove justly ranking among the finest and most productive in the valley. His orange trees occupy eight acres, and the crop of 1888-’89 sold on the trees for $3,675; this is a yield of over $150 per acre. Crop of 1889-’90 sold on the trees for $1,550. Everything about his place is characterized by a prolific yield. A magnificent grapevine of the Catawba variety; sixteen years old, gives a yield of over 300 pounds of grapes a year. Although he has one of the best locations in Riverside, with rich, deep soil, and admirable irrigation, much of his success must be justly attributed to the watchful attention and care he bestows upon his trees, and to his systematic cultivation...

Read More

Biography of Stephen Squire

Stephen Squire. The history of Riverside’s business enterprises could not be considered complete without mention of the well-known undertaking establishment conducted by the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. His undertaking parlors and warerooms are located at Perine Block, Eighth Street, and are the most complete in their appointments of all in the city. His enterprise is characterized by having the best to be obtained, among which is a $2,500 hearse of the latest and most approved style, and a large variety of caskets, metallic, natural and stained wood, cloth, velvet, silk and satin covered, etc. Mr. Squire is also agent of the Colton Marble Company and the Pacific Marble and Granite Company of Los Angeles, and a dealer in foreign and American granite and marble monuments, tombstones, mantels, statuary, etc. He established his business in 1887, and through his sound business principles, genial manner and well-known practical knowledge of embalming and other details of his profession has secured the confidence and patronage of the community. Although not a pioneer of Riverside, his ten years’ association with her enterprises during her growth from a hamlet of a few hundreds to a city of thou-sands entitle him to a place in the annals of the colony. Mr. Squire is a native of England, dating his birth in Lincolnshire, in January 1839. His parents were poor, and he was early in...

Read More

Biography of James Boyd

James Boyd, a pioneer of Riverside, came to the colony in 1872, all his worldly goods consisting of a farm team of four horses, four cows, a lot of chickens and a few household effects, and eight dollars in cash; but he had a reserve capital of health, energy, intelligence, and a determination to succeed. He secured a squatter’s claim to seventy-three acres of Iand about two miles north of Riverside, and later an adjoining tract of eighty acres, upon which he camped with his family, his only shelter being a shanty 10 x 10, devoid of protection from the scorching sun and sand storms. Their modest cook stove was in the open air, and all the cooking was done in the morning to avoid the heat of the midday sun. Their mid day repast was served cold, but the necessary heating of tea, coffee and even edibles, was accomplished by setting the receptacles containing them upon the fireless stove in the open air; it was rare, indeed, that the fierce rays of the sun had not generated heat, that the storage qualities of that old stove rendered sufficient to bring water nearly to the boiling point. Mr. Boyd planted the seed of the eucalyptus, surrounding his home with those trees. Their growth seems marvelous; careful measurement taken in 1889 showed one of these trees, seventeen years old from...

Read More

Biography of Frank Petchner

Frank Petchner is one of Riverside’s pioneer settlers. He arrived in Riverside in December 1870 and has ever since been identified with her interests and enterprises. Mr. Petchner had spent many years in frontier life in the Territories, and had been engaged in mercantile and mining enterprises, and had made and lost fortunes; but when he located at Riverside he was without means, and dependent for the support of his family upon such labor as could be obtained. He was a blacksmith and opened a blacksmith shop on the corner of Sixth and Main streets; he also bought a block of land bounded by Sixth and Seventh and Almond and Chestnut streets; and later purchased other lots on Market Street. The first brick residence in the city was built by Mr. Petchner in 1875, on his block of land. The first year or two he worked at any labor that offered, as there was not a demand sufficient to occupy his time at his trade. He also improved his land by the planting of citrus and deciduous fruit trees. In 1874 he entered into partnership with Samuel Alder, and established a carriage-making and blacksmith shop on Main Street. This enterprise was a success, and, under the able management of these gentlemen, became one of the leading industries of the colony. Mr. Petchner was engaged in that business until 1884,...

Read More

Biography of Dr. William H. Ball

Among the noticeable fine orange groves of Riverside is that owned by the above named gentleman. His grove, of twenty acres in extent, is situated on the southeast corner of Cypress and Bandini avenues, about one and one-half miles south of the business centre of Riverside. Dr. Ball purchased the land in 1875, and the next spring commenced its improvement, first planting 800 seedling orange trees and the balance to deciduous fruits: the last named he has since replaced with citrus fruits. At this writing his orange grove comprises 1,150 seedlings and 800 budded trees of the Mediterranean Sweets, Washington Navel, Malta Blood, and Duroi varieties, besides his citrus fruits and grapes for family use: his fine groves show the care and attention of a thorough horticulturist, and his success is attested by the fact that his thirteen year-old trees, seedlings, in 1888 yield $300 per acre net. The other trees are of various ages and not in full bearing, but their proportionate yield is even larger than that above given. The Doctor took this land when in its comparatively wild state, and has just cause to be proud of the results of his year’s labor. Dr. Ball also owns twenty acres of land about three miles south of his home place, located in section 32, south of Jurupa Avenue. This land was purchased in 1890, and will in...

Read More

Biography of John Down

John Down came to Riverside in 1874, his only capital being his trade as bricklayer, combined with an energetic disposition and a willingness to labor. He purchased block 2, range 7, on Main Street, between Second and Third streets, planting the same in oranges. The same year he commenced work for Mr. E. M. Sheldon, who had started the pioneer brickyards on the west side of Buena Vista avenue, north of town, and two years later he entered into partnership under the firm name of Sheldon & Down. The brick-yards were gradually increased to meet the growing demands, and conducted by that firm until 1886, when Mr. Sheldon retired and Mr. Alguire came into the firm under the firm name of Down & Alguire, since which time they have conducted a brick-making and building business. In 1882 Mr. Down, in addition to his business in Riverside, established and conducted a brickyard at San Jacinto for four years. He is now the owner of nearly 100 acres of land, located about one mile north of Riverside. The brick-yards are upon his land and are admirably located both for sup-plying the home demand and for shipping by railroad, as his lands have a frontage on the California Central Railroad (Santa Fe system) of nearly one-fourth of a mile, enabling him to put on side-tracks to the brick kilns. He is a...

Read More

Biography of Thomas R. Cundiff

Thomas R. Cundiff came to California in 1874, and the next year located in Riverside. Upon his arrival he sought work as a nurseryman, and first worked for Mr. Carleton, and then Mr. Russell. He soon became familiar with horticultural pursuits, and purchasing a team and wagon engaged in improving and planting orchards and orange grove lands for non-residents. He worked for several years at this, and some of the now finest fruit groves in the colony were those he planted in the early days, among which may be noted the groves of Peter Suman and Henry Jaracki, on Brockton Avenue. In 1875 Mr. Cundiff bought twenty acres in Brockton Square, on the south side of Bandini Avenue, and this he partially improved and then sold to Aberdeen Kieth, and in 1877 purchased a twenty-acre tract on the north side of Bandini Avenue. Upon that land he commenced his horticultural pursuits upon his own account, planting a large variety of citrus and deciduous trees and also raisin grapes. In latter years he corrected his mistake by rooting out his deciduous trees and vines and planting oranges. In 1882 he sold the east ten acres of his tract to George Bryant. This fine place is now owned by Captain J. W. Sayward. The remaining ten acres Mr. Cundiff reserved for his home, and erected upon it a neat cottage residence...

Read More

Biography of Henry A. Puls

Among the older settlers and well-known residents of Riverside is the subject of this sketch. Mr. Puls came to Riverside in 1876, seeking a home, and in the same year purchased a ten-acre tract on Bandini Avenue, about one-half mile west of Brockton Avenue, and commenced his horticultural pursuits. In 1878 he purchased five acres adjoining his original tract. His was the first house built in this locality, and he may well be called a pioneer of that section of the colony. He has each year added to his improvements; taking up many of the deciduous trees first planted and replaced them with citrus fruits. He has now orange groves and vineyards that he has just reasons to be proud of. His eight acres of orange trees are some of the first in the colony, and these trees that are in bearing are remarkably prolific in yield. In 1889 the orange crop on five acres of his orchard sold on the trees for K, 262. Four acres of his land are in Bartlett pears that give satisfactory return. Two acres are devoted to raisin grapes. Mr. Puls is not devoting all his attention to his home place, for he is the owner of a thirty-acre tract one-half mile west of the North Cucamonga Railroad Station. He is rapidly improving this land, and is raising a nursery stock, which will...

Read More

Biography of Isaac V. Gilbert

Isaac V. Gilbert located in Riverside in 1881, seeking a desirable place of residence and safe investment of his capital. He purchased seven acres of land on Jurupa Avenue, in Brockton Square, from E. W. Holmes. Upon this tract he erected a substantial cottage residence, suitable outbuildings, etc., and also added beauty and comfort to his home by laying out roads, walks and lawns, and planting ornamental trees and floral plants. He has produced a beautiful and worthy specimen of a California home. His orange grove, of three and one-half acres, is composed mostly of seedling trees, about seven-teen years of age. They are some of the finest to be found in that section, and give a yield of $450 per acre, under the intelligent care and fertilization he has given them. He has also a large variety of deciduous fruits, such as apples, quince, peach, prune, plum, etc., and also a large variety of table grapes. He has made his home a model of beauty and productiveness. In 1885 Mr. Gilbert and others projected the establishment of a national bank in Riverside, and was one of the original incorporators of one of the soundest banking institutions in San Bernardino County. He was its first president and held that position for three years. Since then he has been on the board of directors, and auditor of the bank. He...

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest