Location: Quincy Illinois

Biography of Edward P. Moulton

Edward P. Moulton. In making a study of the lives and characters of men who have risen to acknowledged position in business, in the professions or in public life, it is but natural to inquire into the secret of their success and the motives that have prompted their actions. Real success comes to but a comparatively few, and a study of the careers of those who occupy places of prominence proves that in nearly every case those who have perseveringly followed one line of procedure have gradually but surely risen. Self-reliance, honesty, energy and conscientiousness are characteristics that appear to have accomplished the best results, and to these we may attribute much of the success that had rewarded the efforts of Edward P. Moulton, proprietor of the leading hardware establishment of Neodesha, and a sound and substantial citizen. Mr. Moulton is a native son of Wilson County, and like a number of men who have found prosperity in the business world here is a product of the soil. He was born on the home farm of his father, near Neodesha, August 27, 1872, his parents being John H. and Susan (Jones) Moulton, and his ancestry in America dates back to colonial Massachusetts, when the first bearing the name of this branch of the family emigrated to America from England. Samucl Moulton, the grandfather of Edward P., was born in...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Theodore Jonte

Theodore Jonte, dealer in harness and saddles, Mattoon; was born in Nashville, Tenn., April 4, 1839; his father was a wholesale confectioner; he received a good common-school education, and, at the age of 16 years, left home and came West, settling in Quincy, Ill., where he engaged in working at his trade; in the fall of 1861, he engaged in laboring for the U. S. Government in the making of cavalry equipments; the fall of 1862, he came to Paris, Edgar Co., and engaged in business with Wm. Legy; they operated a shop in Paris, and one in Grand View at the same time; Mr. Jonte had charge of the latter; in the fall of 1864, he removed to Mattoon, and opened up his present business; his is the only first-class establishment in the city. He was married in 1865 to Anna Stone-burner, a native of Grand View, Ill.; has one child-Alberta. Owns considerable real estate in the city. In 1876, he was chosen City Mayor; is at present Assistant Supervisor of Mattoon Tp.; also a member of the Board of Education, West...

Read More

Biography of David A. Correll

David A. Correll is the proprietor of the well known Blue Front Grocery Store, one of the pioneer establishments of the city. He is also one of the oldest grocers now in business in Riverside, having been identified with the trade since 1883. Mr. Correll came to Riverside in 1882. His capital was limited, and although broken in health he was possessed of an unlimited stock of energy and well-trained business principles. He first engaged as a laborer with the Riverside Land and Irrigation Company, and remained in that employ until the next year, when he secured a position in the grocery store of Frederick & Love. The Blue Front store was at that time under the management of those gentlemen. In 1885 Mr. Correll bought the interest of Mr. McDonald, of the firm of McDonald & Metcalf, and commenced business on his own account on Main Street, where the Oppenheimer block now stands. This establishment was sold to Fountain & Thrall the next year, and then Metcalf & Correll bought the Blue Front store. The business was conducted by that firm until July, 1887, when Mr. Correll purchased the interests of his partner, and has since conducted the business alone. He largely increased his stock and took the lead in the grocery business of the city. The Blue Front, although deservedly popular before, became doubly so under his...

Read More

Biography of Samuel C. Pine

Samuel C. Pine, for over thirty years has been a resident, and identified with the varied interests, of San Bernardino County. He is now engaged in general farming operations upon 160 acres of productive land located in Chino Township, Chino school district, four miles south and east of Chino. In 1867 Mr. Pine purchased a squatter’s claim to this land, which was then in its wild and un-cultivated state. He spent years in litigation with grant claimants, but finally secured his Government patent. The first year of his occupancy he devoted his attention to stock-growing, but later commenced a system of general farming that has been successful and remunerative. He has a vineyard of ten acres of raisin grapes of the Muscat variety; also several varieties of table grapes; ten acres of orchard which produces a fine variety of peaches, apples, plums, apricots, pears, figs, prunes, nectarines, etc. His soil and climate seem well adapted to the successful growing of deciduous fruits. The remainder of his lands is devoted to hay, grain and stock. Of the latter he raises good grade stock of cattle and Norman draft horses. He’ is a successful farmer and an illustration of what energy and enterprise, combined with sound sense and business habits will do when applied to the lands of Rincon Valley. Mr. Pine can well be styled a pioneer of San Bernardino...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Joseph H. Kelly

Joseph H. Kelly, of Mission District, San Bernardino County, is known far and wide as the most extensive dealer and trainer of horses in the county. He has a fine ranch of 100 acres, on which he has recently built a neat and comfortable residence. For the past ten years he has given his entire attention to horses, and at present has about fifty head, some of them as well bred as any in the State. Last spring he sold a pair of trotters for $6,000. Mr. Kelly is a native of Quincy, Illinois, and came to California in 1861. In the spring of 1862 he went to Holcomb Valley, where he followed mining and teaming for a number of years. Fourteen years ago he was married, and bought the ranch on which he at present...

Read More

Biography of F. Garner

F. Garner, residing on Mount Vernon Avenue, San Bernardino, was born near Quincy, Illinois, March 5, 1835. His parents were George and Elizabeth Garner. His father moved to Nauvoo, Illinois, at an early day, and remained there one year when he crossed the plains to Utah, where he spent one winter. Frank was fifteen years of age when they left the Missouri river, and he drove an ox team all the way to California. While crossing the Missouri river on a ferry-boat, the team which he afterward drove became frightened and jumped off the boat into the water, and swam across safely with the yoke on. They left St. Joe with a train of sixty wagons in the spring of 1850, but many died on the way of cholera. The train being so long they divided it into six divisions of ten wagons each, and took turns leading. The ten wagons that led one day fell behind the next. George Garner was captain of ten wagons, and one day he was to lead he told his men to follow, and do hard driving, and by that means they would leave the rest behind, which they did, and got to the end of the journey just two weeks in advance of the rest. They lost two of their number by cholera and had some trouble with the Indians. Mr. Garner...

Read More

Biography of Joseph F. Tobias

Joseph F. Tobias has for many years been closely identified with banking in Ellsworth County and is now cashier of the Wilson State Bank. The Wilson State Bank was established under a state charter in 1886 by B. S. and Myron P. Westfall. Its original capital stock was $35,000 and the first officers were: E. E. Parks, president; M. P. Westfall, vice president, and B. S. Westfall, cashier. Its record of thirty years had been a splendid one, reflecting good management and prosperity to its stockholders and patrons. Today the bank had a capital of $40,000, surplus and undivided profits of $90,000, while the deposits, the best index of its popularity, aggregate about $600,000. The list of officials are: A. D. Jellison, of Junction City, Kansas, president; Charles W. Fielder, vice president and acting president; E. D. Schermerhorn, vice president; J. F. Tobias, cashier; and F. S. Percival and C. R. Jellison, assistant cashiers. The Tobias family were early settlers in Ellsworth County, Kansas, and were established in the very pioneer times on the northwestern frontier in Minnesota. Joseph F. Tobias was born in Minnesota, at the Town of Elysian, November 18, 1878. He is of an old Bohemian family. His great-grandfather, Winslow Tobias, was born at Velin, Bohemia, in 1783. He was a shoemaker by trade. One day he came into the house after hoeing potatoes in the...

Read More

Biography of Major James Bruce

MAJOR JAMES BRUCE. – Major Bruce is one of our citizens who needs no introduction to the people of the Northwest; since he is known personally, not only to all the old pioneers, but to most of the second generation of the toilers of Oregon. He was born November 3, 1827, in Harrison county, Indiana, and at the age of ten moved with his parents to Quincy, Illinois. At twenty he began a border career, going to Texas, making many excursions in that then unsettled region, and at Cross Timbers joined Major Johnson’s rangers. He accompanied these troopers upon their expeditions to punish marauders, or to recover the stock which were perpetually stampeded and run off by the Indians. In one of these ventures he was engaged with his company in a fight with three hundred of the savages, whose rapid movements, impetuous charges, and ability to suddenly concentrate, or to miraculously disappear and reappear, seemed to multiply their number to about one thousand. Here the Major first saw their maneuvers and astonishing feats, such as riding concealed on one side of their horses. In 1849 he returned to his home in Illinois, and in the spring of 1850 was ready to go to the mines of California, – a trip even more eventful than that to Texas. He performed the long journey in the summer, using ox-teams as...

Read More

Biography of Abel E. Eaton

ABEL E. EATON. – The extensive reputation and wide influence of Mr. Eaton bespeak for him a candid notice in any work touching upon the lives of our responsible men. The seventh son in a family of eleven children, he was born May 30, 1834, at Conway, New Hampshire. The father, Simeon Eaton, a lawyer from Maine, and the mother from the same state, whose maiden name was Bessie Paine, made their home upon a farm. During the first eight years of his life, the boy Abel found opportunity for but seven weeks’ schooling. This was his annual stipend of educational advantages until his eighteenth year, when he secured eleven weeks in the South Conway Seminary. Nevertheless, having an active New England brain, he eagerly imbibed ideas and information from all sources, utilizing the evening hours by the torchlights and fireplace to peruse books. At the age of twenty, he obtained the consent of his parents to go to Ohio, and in this then somewhat remote region experienced the many adventures, and tried the numerous shifts and turns of the youth away from home, realizing his greatest profit in a business way form a pair of calves purchased with money that he had hoarded as a boy from the proceeds of his bean patch. In 1854 he penetrated the West as far as Huntsville, Indiana, and although having no...

Read More

Biography of Hoit, Mary Melvina

Mary Melvina Hoit 1842 – 1916 Biography Mary Melvina Hoit was born in Meigs County, Ohio in 1842. She was one of the two daughters. Her sister’s name was Ruthanar. We do not have the names of her parents but in scrapbook #3 in one of the letters she wrote to newspapers there is come family history. Her father moved from Meigs Co. to Quincy, Ill. In Adams County in 1844. They lived in town until the following spring when they moved to the north line of Adams County and purchased a farm from his brother-in-law, Truman Hocox. This farm was in the area, which was called Green Grove in 1876 (the date of the published letter). Mr. Hoit was present at the time the township was organized in 1845 and was he one who proposed the name of Keene, the name that it bore in 1876. He later held the positions of Clerk, Assessor and Collector. He also built the district schoolhouse, which was still in use in 1876. Mrs. Hoit taught school during this same time. (Ed. Note: All of the above places and directions check out completely with modern maps except for the town of Keene. There are two possibilities to explain this: one, the name of the town could have been changed in the ensuing years; two: the town no longer exists. It is our...

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest