Location: Newton Iowa

Biography of Benjamin F. Endres

Benjamin F. Endres, son of the late John Adam Endres, whose career is sketched elsewhere, had been a successful lawyer of Leavenworth, and had also figured in public affairs, being now in his second term as a member of the State Legislature. He was born at Leavenworth, January 27, 1875, was educated in the public schools, read law under Thomas P. Fenlon and John H. Atwood, and was admitted to the bar on his twenty-first birthday. Since then, for twenty years, he had been in the active practice of his profession. In 1903 he was elected police judge of Leavenworth and served in that capacity until 1907. Judge Endres had a vision and comprehension of public problems equal to his public spirit. In 1908 he was the first to advocate the adoption of the commission form of government for Leavenworth. In 1909 Mayor Omar Abernathy appointed him city attorney, and he filled that position until his resignation in May, 1913. In 1914 he was elected from the Fifth Legislative District to the Kansas State Legislature. During the following session he was chairman of the Judicial Apportionment Committee and a member of other important committees, and proved a leader in the House. Among the measures which he championed was a bill introduced by him authorizing cities of the first and second class to issue bonds to assist the worthy to...

Read More

Phillippee, Howard Lee – Obituary

Howard Lee Phillippe, 77, of 1102 S. 11th St. died Saturday night [March 31, 1984] at the Mahaska Manor Nursing Home. He was born Sept. 18, 1906 at Fremont, the son of Asa and Carrie Lawson Phillippe. He was married to Carmen Wood at Newton on June 5, 1933. He retired in September of 1973 after working for 33 years for the Iowa Department of Transportation. He served as the Mahaska County foreman for the commission since 1959 and had been a maintenance man prior to that. He was a member of the First Christian Church, a past Woshipful Master of Council Masonic Lodge No. 644, a past Worthy Patron of Vega Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, a member of the Harrold White Shrine of Jerusalem, the Pella Dutchmasters Antique Auto Club, and the Mahaska County Historical Society. He is survived by his wife Carmen of Oskaloosa; his daughter, Mrs. LaVerne (Sandra Lee) Stewart of Oskaloosa; two grandsons, and five sisters; Mrs. Vesta Linsley and Mrs. Marie Linsley, both of Hedrick, Mrs. Floy Perkins of Oskaloosa; Mrs. Merle Hoffman of Fremont, and Mrs. Faye Simmons of Nebraska. Oskaloosa Herald, April 2, 1984 Contributed by: Shelli...

Read More

Phillippe, Carmen Wood – Obituary

Carmen Phillippe, 77, of 1010 5th Ave. East, Oskaloosa, died Thursday, Nov. 26, 1992 at the Mahaska County Hospital in Oskaloosa. She was born Jan. 25, 1915 at Reasnor to Edmund and Iva O’Connor Wood. She attended schools in Jasper County and graduated in 1931 from Newton High School. She married (Howard) Lee Phillippe at Newton on June 5, 1933. Prior to her retirement, she was manager of the business office at Mahaska County Hospital. She later worked as an assistant director for the Mahaska County Homemaker Health Aide Service. She was a member of the Endeavor Circle of King’s Daughters; a former member of the Mahaska County Historical Society; and member of the Harrold White Shrine. She is survived by a daughter and son-in-law, Sandra and LaVerne Stewart of Oskaloosa; two grandsons and their wives, Mark and Kristin Stewart, and Scott and Diane Stewart; and parents; her husband on March 31, 1984; their daughter, Valeta Lee, in infancy; a brother, Harley Wood; and four sisters, Ruth Armstrong, Opal Carter, Helen Northcutt and Wilma Kaldenberg. Funeral services will be held Saturday at 11 a.m. at the Bates Funeral Chapel in Oskaloosa, with the Rev. Michael Crouch officiating. Burial will be in the Forest Cemetery in Oskaloosa. The family will receive visitors this evening, 7-8 p.m. at the funeral chapel. Memorials may be made to her church or the American...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of C. S. Perrin

C.S. PERRIN. – Mr. Perrin was born on a farm near Newton, Jasper county, Iowa, in 1857. He crossed the plains with his parents in 1871, locating near Salem, Oregon, engaging with them in agriculture. There he received his education at the Willamette University and the Chemeketa Academy, teaching public school during the summer season and attending upon a course of study during the winter, until 1878. After receiving his education, he followed teaching as a profession until 1881, coming in that year to Eastern Oregon and locating within the present limits of Gilliam county, near Arlington, engaging in the stock business, in which he still retains a considerable interest. In July, 1889, he was appointed deputy sheriff by Mr. E.W. Sanderson, and now fills that position with honor to himself and to the satisfaction of his superior, and with the marked approval of the people...

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest