Location: Keene New Hampshire

Descendancts of John Remington of Haverhill, MA

As early as 1661 John Remington and his wife Abigail were at Haverhill, where their children, Daniel and Hannah, were born. John Remington is credited by one writer as being the emigrant ancestor from Wales of the Rhode Island Remingtons. He appears of record as early as 1669 at Jamestown, R. I., where Aug. 28th of that year he and two others were ordered to assemble inhabitants of Conanicut Island to consider what might be most suitable for defense and preservation against any invasion or insurrection of the Indians. He had been earlier at Haverhill, Mass. (1661), and Andover. He was one of the grantees in 1677 of what became East Greenwich, R. I. He and his sons were taxed in 1680. In 1695 he gave his son Thomas Remington, of Warwick, a deed for his Haverhill interests, and redeeded to him the same in 1709, he then being apparently of Warwick, R. I., the former deed having become “damnified through disaster.”

Read More

Biography of William Hall

William Hall, the enterprising proprietor of Langdon Creamery, Langdon, N.H., and dealer in butter, cream, milk, eggs, chickens, pork, and other farm and dairy products, was born in Claremont, this State, March 23, 1850. He is a son of Jonathan and Caroline L. (Leet) Hall and a descendant of one of the oldest families in Sullivan County. Both his grandfather and his great-grandfather Hall bore the Christian name of Jonathan. Grandfather Hall was born August 25, 1776, in Spencer, Mass., whence he came to Langdon when a young man. He afterward removed to Claremont, where he died in 1854. In his active years he followed the occupations of a farmer, carpenter, and cooper; and he fought in the War of 1812. He married Sally Prouty, whose father was a very influential citizen of Spencer, Mass. She was born in 1779, and died in 1871. They were the parents of eleven children, two sons and nine daughters, Jonathan, third, being the youngest son. Jonathan Hall, third, was born in Langdon, June 19, 1815, and is now living in Keene, N.H. After leaving school, he learned the trade of a shoemaker and later that of a carpenter. Since then he has been variously employed as an architect, inventor, manufacturer, and millwright. Many of the machines built by C. B. Rogers, of Norwich, Conn., were designed by him. He was the builder...

Read More

Biography of Henri G. Blaisdell

Henri G. Blaisdell, an accomplished musician of Concord, N.H., was born in Dorchester, N.H., October 23, 1850, son of Pettingill and Laurette (Lillis) Blaisdell. He is originally of Scotch descent. His paternal grandfather was Sanborn Blaisdell, who was long a resident, and presumably a native, of Dorchester, in which town he was engaged in farming and where he spent his last years. He married Mehitable Sanborn. Pettingill Blaisdell, father of Henri G., was born in Dorchester in 1824. He received his education in the district schools and subsequently engaged in the business of manufacturing and selling lumber, for many years conducting a large saw-mill on Baker’s River. He was Postmaster of Dorchester for a long time, and still resides on his farm in that town. He and his wife, Laurette Lillis Blaisdell, reared three children-Henri G., Pettingill S., and Ella Mabel. Pettingill S. Blaisdell, a young man of marked musical ability, entered into business with his father and met his death by accident in the mill. Ella Mabel studied music, became a skilled violinist, and travelled extensively throughout the country in company with her brother Henri. She became the wife of Dr. Charles E. Fowler, of Bristol, and died April 19, 1882. Henri G. Blaisdell obtained his general education in the district schools of his native town and at the academies at Wentworth and Keene. When but nine years...

Read More

Genealogy of Cephas Clark

Among the ambitious and adventurous spirits that sought homes in the northern part of Vermont were three sons of Cephas Clark, namely Silas, Samuel, and Cephas, all of whom settled in Glover. The design of this work is to treat from now on of the history of the three sons of Cephas Clark who emigrated to and settled in the northern part of Vermont.

Read More

Fair Grounds And Trotting Park of Keene, NH

The Cheshire County Agricultural Society has grounds here, twenty-six acres in extent, with all the buildings and accessories necessary to a firstclass exhibition, which annually is made. In laying out the grounds the forest trees were permitted to stand along the avenues where the cattle pens are located, so that visitors may view the specimens and be well protected from sun or rain. The grounds are about a mile and a half distant from the cityhall. The Agricultural Society was organized January 16, 1850, when Salma Hale, of Keene, was chosen president; A. B. Hodskins, of Walpole, Edmund Jones, of Marlboro, and Thomas D. Gibbs, of Jaffrey, vice-presidents; T. H. Leverett, of Keene, secretary and treasurer; and Upton Burnap, of Nelson, Thomas H. Adams, of Fitzwilliam, and Charles Watkins, of Walpole, executive committee. The present officers are, George K. Wright, president; Elbridge Kingsbury, secretary; and Joseph A. Abbott, treasurer. In 1875 the Keene Driving Park Association was formed, by a stock company, fifty shares at $100.00 each being sold. A fine half-mile track was made on Main street, near Swanzey plain, with accessory buildings, etc., at a cost of $8,500.00. The first meeting was held thereon on the 3d of July, 1875, when there were eighty-five entries. In 1879 the company sold the park to a company of gentlemen of which M. J. Sherman was president, and F. A....

Read More

History of Education in Keene, New Hampshire

Although Keene is divided into eleven school districts, No. i is the metropolitan, called Union district, and includes the schools of the city proper. The suburban districts partake largely of the characteristics of rural schools. The following table gives a fair idea of the citys buildings and school facilities :- School House Pearl street 72 $ 525 00 1,$-3,500 00 $ 4,025 00 116 School street, old building. 41 400 00 2,000 00 2,400 00 112 School St., new building.. 141 125 00 3,111 00 3,236 00 98 Fuller school 5A 300 00 4,155 00 3,455 00 112 Washington street 40 150 00 2,000 00 I 2,150 00 105 Lincoln street 69 300 03 3,000 00 3,300 00 104 Main street 40 200 00 1,200 00 1,400 00 97 High school 104 6,100 00 50,000 00 56,100 00 379 Church street 46 Center street 71 Total 434 $8,100 00 $68,966 00 1$77,066 00 1240 Personal property 3,000 00 Total value of Dists prop. $80,066 00 The High-school building on Winter street, one of the finest buildings in the city, was completed in 1876. It is ninety-one feet long and sixty-one feet wide, and is flanked in front by a projecting tower twenty-one feet and eleven inches wide. From a foundation of solid granite it rises to a height of eighty feet, and reaches, with the tower, an altitude of...

Read More

Military History of Keene, New Hampshire

During the period of the Revolution, Keene performed her part faithfully. In 1773 the foot company of Keene numbered 126, under command of Col.. Josiah Willard. The alarm list, numbering forty-five, seems to have been made up of the older men, including many of the original settlers; the selectmen of Keene, David Nims. Eliphalet Briggs, Jr., and Benjamin Hall, reported the following census for Keene : Unmarried men, from sixteen to sixty 65. Married men, from sixteen to sixty 96 Boys, sixteen years and under : 140• Men, sixty years and upwards : 1, Females, unmarried 217 Females, married 105. Widows 10 Male Slave : 1 Total 645 In 1774 the town made preparations for war by the purchase of ” 200 lbs of good gun powder, 400 lbs. of lead, and 1,200 flints,” raising “twenty-four pounds, lawful money” for that purpose. October 17th of that year, Capt. Isaac Wyman and Lieut. Timothy Ellis were chosen delegates to the county congress, at Walpole. The battle of Lexington was fought on the loth of April, 1775. The news reached Keene soon after, and Captain Dorman, in command of the militia, with the advice of Captain Wyman, ” sent expresses to every part of the town,, notifying the inhabitants to meet, forthwith, on the green.” Upon their meeting in the afternoon the citizens voted unanimously to raise a body of men...

Read More

Early Settlement of Keene, New Hampshire

Up to the winter of 1736 no person had remained in the town during that season. Those who came in the summer to clear their lands brought their provisions with them, and erected temporary huts to shelter them from the weather. But during that summer, Nathan Blake and Seth Heaton, from Wrentham, and William Smeed, from Deerfield, made preparation to pass the winter in the wilderness. Their house was at the south end of Main street. Their stock consisted of a yoke of oxen and a pair of horses, one of the latter belonging to Heaton and the others to Blake. During the winter Blakes horse was drowned in Beaver brook while drawing logs to the saw-mill which had been erected the previous year. In the beginning of February their provisions gave out, and Heaton was sent to Northfield for a new supply, but was unable to make his way back through the snow. The others, when they saw he failed to return, turned the cattle loose where they might have access to the hay, and started for Massachusetts on snow-shoes. When they returned in the spring they found their cattle safe, but very, hungry and glad to see them. In 1740, however, there were in the town the following landowners – Rev. Jacob Bacon, Josiah Fisher, Joseph Fisher, Nathan Blake, William Smeed. Seth Heaton, Joseph Ellis, Ebenezer Nims,...

Read More

Keene New Hampshire Proprietor List

In March, 1732, a committee was appointed to lay out house-lots in the townships mentioned, who, in June, made a report of the house-lots in the Upper township. Of these, fifty-four were laid out on what is now the city plain, twenty-seven on each side of the Main street, and the other nine upon the plain on the Swanzey line. They were 160 rods long and eight rods wide, each containing eight acres. This committee, being also authorized to admit settlers, notified all persons who were desirous of taking lots to meet at Concord, Mass., June 26, 1734. A few days previous to the time for holding this meeting, the general court passed the following item: ” Voted, That after the sixty persons [grantees] for each township shall have drawn lots, given bonds, and paid their _15 each according to the order of the court, passed in July, 1732. they forthwith assemble at Concord, Mass., and then and there choose a moderator and proprietors clerk, agree upon rules and methods for the fulfillment of their respective grants, for making further divisions, and attend to any other matters or things necessary for the speedy settlement of said townships.” Upon these several votes the proprietors of Upper Ashuelot entirely depended for titles to their land, as no charter was ever given by Massachusetts. The meeting was held at Concord, according to...

Read More

Everend J. Young Genealogy

Young, Everend J. b. in Croyden, 1850; son of Caleb J. and Eliza (Heath) Young; m (1.) Nora A. Butterfield; m. (2), Nov. 4, 1914, in Keene, by Rev. E. F. Miller, to Mrs. Eunice I. (Rumrill) Howard, b. in Weathersfield, Vt., 1868; dau. of Horace and Lucinda (Randall) Rumrill. Ch.: Harold L.2, b. Washington, N. H.; m. Feb. 28, 1903, in Marlow by Rev. F. O. Tyler of Marlow, to Grace A. Knight, b. in Marlow, Mar., 1883; d. there, Sept. 19, 1914; dau. of Milan A. and Vesta E. (Shelley) Knight. Ch.: Emory E.3, b. June 23, 1903. Bernice Mae3, b. Feb. 17, 1905. Eva Louise3, b. Sept. 19, 1914 (stillborn). a twin3, b. Sept. 19, 1914, (stillborn). Stella2, now Mrs. Emory Knight. Bessie2, now Mrs. Webster. Frank2, birth date...

Read More

Reuben Wright Genealogy

Oliver Wright 1. Reuben2 Wright, son of Oliver1, was b. in Keene, Apr. 29, 1772, of Oliver and Sarah Wright; d. Houghton, Mich., Aug. 18, 1852; m. Dec. 30 (or 31), Olive Atwood, b. Templeton, Mass., July 5, 1775, d. Washington, N. H., Aug. 15, 1842; dau. of John and Elizabeth (Lawrence) Atwood of Packersfield. Ch.: Roxana3, b. Marlboro, Sept. 8, 1800, m. Dec. 18, 1827, Amos Corey, Jr., of Washington, N. H., b. there, Sept. 19, 1802; d. Antrim, Apr. 6, 1872, son of Amos and Achsah (Townsend) Corey. She d. at Antrim, Sept. 7, 1872. They had moved from Washington to Antrim in 1857. Ch.: Achsah Louisa4, b. Washington, N. H., 1828; m. Mar. 1857, Peter Shuttleworth of Southborough, Mass. Ch.: Ella J.5 Shuttleworth, b. May 23, 1858. Alva Kay5 Shuttleworth, b. June 14, 1859. Ida May5 Shuttleworth, b. Feb. 2, 1862. Caroline Louisa5 Shuttleworth, b. Feb. 14, 1865. Clara Mabel5 Shuttleworth, b. Oct. 11, 1866. Olive Wright4 Corey, b. Washington, N. H., 1830; d. unm. in 1872. Melinda A.4 Corey, b. Washington, 1832; d. unm. in 1861. George F.4 Corey, b. Washington, Apr. 23, 1836; m. Nov. 29, 1860, Clara R. Hill, b. Antrim, 1841; dau. of Henry and Rebecca (Kelso) Hill of Antrim. They lived for a time at Waltham, where he was employed in the watch factory, but returned to the old homestead in...

Read More

Phineas Wright Genealogy

Phinehas Wright of Hartford, Conn., m. Zilpha Cooper of Westmoreland, N. H., settled at Walpole and removed to Keene abt. 1796. Caleb2 Wright, son of Phinehas, b. Feb. 15, 1794, d. Keene, Nov. 21, 1869; m. Dec. 7, 1815, Sarah Reed, b. Surry, July 14, 1796, d. Keene, Nov. 16, 1838. Among their fifteen children, was: Calvin3, b. Keene, Mar. 13, 1816; d. Gilsum, Feb. 16, 1907; m. Diantha Leborveau of Keene, and had six children. Mr. and Mrs. Calvin Wright lived in S., on the Old Kemp or John Dunn place for a few years, and had born here:  Harriet Emily4, b. Oct. 14, 1847; d. Feb. 14, 1848. A son, George Abbott4, b. Swanzey, Aug. 18, 1844; d. S. Mar. 3, 1848. These two children were buried in the village cemetery in Surry. We have more in regard to the Caleb Wright family, but do not print it as an extended account of the Wright family is being prepared for the Surry Town...

Read More

Samuel Woods Genealogy

I. Samuel1 Woods of Cambridge, Mass., b. abt. 1636; went to Groton, Mass., in 1662; d. in Groton, Mar. 19, 1712; m. in Cambridge, Mass., Sept. 28, 1659, Alice Rushton, b. abt. 1636. Seven ch.: the first b. in Cambridge, the others in Groton, Mass. II. Samuel2 Woods, son of Samuel1, I, b. Cambridge, Mass., Jan. 3, 1661; m. in Chelmsford, Mass., Dec. 30, 1685, Hannah Farwell, b. Chelmsford, Mass., Jan. 20, 1667-8; dau. of Joseph and Hannah (Learned) Farwell. She m. (2), Capt. Peter Joslin of Lancaster, Mass. Peter’s first wife was slain by the Indians who attacked her home, July 18, 1692, in Lancaster. Samuel and Hannah Woods had eight ch., the oldest. III. Samuel3 Woods, b. (place and date unknown); d. Groton, Mass., Apr. 10, 1773; m. Nov. 29, 1720, Patience Bigelow, b. Sept. 30, 1698, probably dau. of James and Elizabeth (Child) Bigelow of Watertown, Mass. She d. in Groton, Mass., Jan. 23, 1771. Eight ch. b. Groton. IV. William4 Woods, son of Samuel3, III, b. Groton, Oct. 17, 1735; d. Keene, Mar. 23, 1818; m. Feb. 9, 1757, Naomi Longley, b. Chelmsford, Mass., May 18, 1741; d. Keene, Sept. 8, 1815; dau. of Nathaniel and Lydia (Foster) Longley. Their ch. were: Naomi5, b. Chelmsford, Mass., May 18, 1759, bur. Oct. 16, 1759. William5, b. Chelmsford, May, 1761, slain in the battle of Bennington, Aug....

Read More

William Henry Harrison Woodbury Genealogy

1. William Henry Harrison2 Woodbury, son of Rufus1 and Charlotte (Knapp) Woodbury, was b. in Northfield, Vt., May 1, 1842; m. May 22, 1866, Ora Ann Dodge Hale, b. Montpelier, Vt., Sept. 24, 1848, dau. of John P. and Susan W. (Going) Hale. He was a soldier in the War of the Rebellion; res. Newport and Hardwick, Vt., and Sullivan Two ch.: John Hale3, b. Apr. 26, 1867, res. in S. on the Asahel Nims Jr. place; m. Dec. 22, 1892, Alice Clinton Dodge, b. Salem, Mass., June 23, 1867; dau. of Charles William and Frances Amelia (Treadwell) Dodge. No children. Susan Augusta3, b. Hardwick, Vt., Mar. 29, 1870, m. May 13, 1897, Miles Harrison Davis, b. Roxbury, Aug. 26, 1840, d. Keene, Dec. 7, 1910; son of Joshua and Eliza (Rice) Davis. He was a farmer and res. Keene on Beech hill in the old James Wright house. They had a son: Harold Woodbury4 Davis, b. Keene, Mar. 30, 1898. Bennajah Woodbury was b. in Potton Township, P. Q., Dec. 11, 1841; d. Stoddard, unm., Apr. 2, 1905; son of Chauncey and Judith (Allard) Woodbury. He died on the Island in Island Pond, where he had been living as a hermit. He was a tenant of the David Seward house at 139, living there in 1878 alone. He never...

Read More

Amos Wood Genealogy

1. Amos2 Wood, son of Joshua1 and Esther (Esty) Wood, was b. in Keene, June 16, 1794; d. Wilton, June 12, 1873; was a farmer and lived in Keene, Walpole and Wilton. He was a Deacon in the Congregational church of Walpole. He m. (1), Sept. 23, 1817, Fanny Seward, b. Sullivan, Nov. 13, 1794, d. Walpole, Sept. 19, 1848; dau. of Dea. Josiah and Sarah (Osgood) Seward of S. He m. (2), Mar 20, 1850. Pamelia Wightman, b. Walpole (?), 1795, d. there, Nov. 16, 1854; dau. of Israel and Frances (Allen) Wightman; m. (3), Apr. 16, 1858, Mrs. Lucinda (Gould) Kent of Nashua. b. Henniker, Dec. 22, 1807, widow of Abel Willard Kent, and dau. of Benjamin and Abigail (Clark) Gould. Ch. b. Keene: Amos Seward3, b. Dec. 5, 1817, was a baggage master on the Cheshire R. R. There had been a train wrecked and some broken, derailed cars were left near the track. He wished to show the spectacle to a friend who was riding with him, and, opening the side door a little, he cautiously put out his head to see where he was, but just in time to be hit by the derailed car, from the effects of which accident he died very soon after, Apr. 24, 1856. He m., Jan. 6, 1841, Roxana Seward, b. Sullivan, May 22, 1821, dau. of Abijah...

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest