Location: Jaffrey New Hampshire

Biographical Sketch of Jonas Pierce

Asa and Betsey (Pike) Pierce, from Weston, Mass., located in Dublin about 1786. After a few years he died, leaving his widow and two sons, Asa and Jonas. July 29, 1790, his widow married Thomas Davidson, and removed to Jaffrey. Jonas Pierce, second son of Asa, was born in Dublin, April 8, 1788. He married Lucinda, daughter of Benjamin Bailey, of Jaffrey, September 1, 1811. She died in 1838. He married, second, Mrs. Polly Bowers, September 11, 1838, who died March 2, 1895, aged eighty-five years. He died May 28, 1857. He was one of the prosperous farmers of Jaffrey. His children were Asa. Abigail, Addison, Jonas, Benjamin, Amos, Dexter, Betsey, and Emily. Addison, born March 14, 1817, married Millie Prince, of Thompsonville, Conn., and resides on the...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Joseph Cutter

Joseph Cutter, a native of Lexington, Mass., married Rachel Hobert, of Pepperell, Mass., and reared a family of ten children. His son John, born. October 24, 1780, married Mary, daughter of Daniel and Betsey Batchelder, of Wilton, N. H., who bore him ten children. He died in Jaffrey, January 15, 1857. His son John A. married Nancy H., daughter of Emory and Martha (Hill) Wheelock, and had four children, all of whom are now dead, He is an extensive farmer, and resides on road 32. Dr. Calvin Cutter, brother of John A., served as a surgeon three years during the war of the Rebellion, and was at the battles of Bull Run and...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of J. S. Lawrence

J. S. Lawrence, son of Ithamer, married Sarah, daughter of Zachariah and Rebecca Emery, who bore him three children, all now living, and occupied the homestead until his death. His son Frederick J. married Clara, daughter of Nehemiah and Adaline (Bailey) Cutter, has one child, and resides on the home farm, road...

Read More

The Congregational Church of Jaffrey, NH

The Congregational church of Jaffrey village.-The grant from the Masonian proprietors stipulated that a meeting-house be built within six years from the date of the charter. There is nothing in the early records of the town, however, to show that anything was done towards this object previous to 1774, when it was voted that such a structure be built. Neglect to build a meeting-house was not the only instance in which the settlers failed to fulfill the requirements of their charter. From the reports of the settlers to the grantors, testifying of the condition of the colony, we find that they pleaded as an excuse for their neglect the extreme hardships to which they were exposed, and begged to be charitably dealt with, as they had done all that was possible to satisfy the conditions of their charter. There is no record of the settlers ever having been molested for this offense, and it is reasonable to suppose that their excuse was satisfactory. In 1774 the town voted to build a meeting-house; but, probably from the difficulty of raising money, the work was not very rapidly pushed. and the house was not completed until 1799. In 1789 the town voted to sell the pews at auction. The house was very substantially built, and no money was voted for repairs until 1822. At this time the town also voted that...

Read More

The First Universalist Society of East Jaffrey, NH

The First Universalist society, at East Jaffrey, was organized November 16, 1822, and re-organized in 1858, with twenty-five members. Rev. Dolphus Skinner was the first pastor. Their church building, erected in 1844, will seat 275 persons, and is valued, including grounds, at $3,000 00. The society now has about sixty members, with Dr. Sawyer pastor. Their Sabbath-school, organized in 1845, has thirty-five...

Read More

Jaffrey East Congregational Church, NH

Jaffrey East Congregational church.- On the first of December, 1849, the following named persons requested letters of dismission from the church at the Center, for the purpose of organizing a church at East Jaffrey: Jonas M. Melville, Betsey Mellville, Liberty Mower, Mary Ann Mower, William Morse, Salmon H. Rand, Emeline A. Rand, Martha W. Lacy, Mary Bacon, Rebecca Bacon, John Verder, Sarah J. Verder, Samuel Marble, Lucy Marble, Roxanna J. Mower, Angelina S. Mower, Phineal Spaulding, Lyman Spaulding, Susan M. Spaulding, Thomas A. Stearns, Sarah E. Stearns, Samuel N. Laws and Abigail. Parker. On the 9th of January, 1850, the new church was organized, and their first pastor, Rev. J. E. B. Jewett, was installed September 25, 1854Their church building, which will seat 350 persons, and is valued at $5,000.00, was built in 1850. The society now has seventy-two members, with Rev. E. J. Riggs, pastor. They have a Sabbath-school with an average attendance of...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Benjamin Pierce

Benjamin Pierce, fourth son of Jonas, born July 11, 1821, married Lucinda, daughter of Isaac and Betsey (Bailey) Stratton, May 12, 1846, and has two children-George A. and Ada L. He located in Boston, where he accumulated a large estate, but finally removed to this town, and now owns the Shedd farm, off road 36. In 1897 he built the Granite State Hotel, which is a valued addition to East Jaffrey. He is a prominent man in town affairs, having held many positions of trust, was town representative in 1870 and 1871, and was delegate to the State constitutional convention in 1876. He is now one of the directors of the Monadnock National bank, and vice-president of the Savings bank of East Jaffrey...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Asa Pierce

Asa Pierce, a native of Jaffrey, and the eldest son of Jonas, married Lodica B. Dyke, of Livermore, Me., and reared a family of nine children. His eldest son, Albion D., married Annie J., daughter of Henry and Jane (Mitchel) Lattimer, of Boston, who bore him two children, Grace A. and Arthur L., now living. His widow now resides on the home farm, on road 30. Her father, Henry Lattimer, came from England to Boston, about 1840, and was a noted military man, and was prominent in...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Capt. I. B. Proctor

Captain I. B. Proctor, the present owner of the so-called Felt farm, and proprietor of the Proctor House, situated on the pleasant southern slope of Monadnock mountain, is a native of Lunenburg, Mass., where he was born in 1824, and at which place he lived until 1844, when he was appointed purchasing agent of the Vermont & Massachusetts railroad, with his office in Gardner. In 185r he engaged in the wholesale flour and grain business in Fitchburg. In 1854 was elected captain of the Washington Guards, a fine military company of Fitchburg. In 1858 he was elected superintendent of the Middlesex railroad in Boston. In 1861 he entered the army of the late war, and served two years. In 1873 he was appointed, by Governor Washburn, a justice of the peace for all the counties in the state, and, in 1864 was appointed by the President a commissioner to examine the Union Pacific railroad, which required his making several trips across the plains to California. In 1868 he engaged in the real estate business, as broker and auctioneer, at Fitchburg, and remained in that business until he removed to his present home in Jaffrey, in 1881. In 1875 and ’76 he was elected president of the Worcester North Agricultural Society, of...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Eleazer W. Heath

Eleazer W. Heath, son of David, and a native of Corinth, Vt., married Rhoda Merril, of Bradford, Vt., and for his second wife, Mary N. (Gibbs) Gilmore, of Jaffrey. Mr. Heath was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was at the battle of Plattsburg. He is now living, at the great age of ninety years, and occupies a farm on road 29, known as the Emory place. He has seven...

Read More

Jaffrey, Cheshire County, New Hampshire History

Jaffrey lies in the southeastern part of the county, in lat. 42º 50′, and long. 4º 59′, bounded, north, 113 rods by Marlboro and 2,408 rods by Dublin; east, 730 rods by Peterboro and 988 rods by Sharon; south, 1,898 rods by Rindge and 603 rods by Fitzwilliam; and west, 349 rods by Fitzwilliam, 806 rods by Troy, and 501 rods by Marlboro, thus having an area of about 22,000 acres, 1,000 of which are covered with water, and 3,200 rendered uninhabitable from its mountainous character. It was granted by the Masonian proprietors, under the name of Middle Monadnock. No. 2, November 30, 1749, to Jonathan Hubbard and thirty-nine others, residents of Hollis, Lunenburg, and Dunstable. On August 17, 1773, the town was legally incorporated, receiving on that date a confirmatory charter from New Hampshire, signed by Gov. John Wentworth. This history entails tax records, sketches of early industry, churches, military, and benevolent societies, as well as biographies, genealogies, and sketches of the early settlers. History of Jaffrey, New Hampshire General History of Jaffrey, New Hampshire Early Settlement of Jaffrey, New Hampshire History of Industry in Jaffrey, NH Village of East Jaffrey, NH Village of Jaffrey, New Hampshire Church History of Jaffrey, New Hampshire Jaffrey East Congregational Church, NH The Congregational Church of Jaffrey, NH The First Universalist Society of East Jaffrey, NH Military History of Jaffrey, New Hampshire...

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest