Biography of James O. Nicholson

JAMES O. NICHOLSON. The gentleman whose name opens this sketch is the oldest merchant in Boone County, Arkansas, and has given his attention to the business in which he is now engaged in Harrison since 1868. He came to this place with Capt. H. W. Fick, with whom he was in business for about two years, when he became the sole proprietor of the establishment, and has continued as such up to the present time. He carries a large stock of general merchandise, and the building he occupies at the southeast corner of the public square is a two-story structure, having a frontage of thirty-five feet and a depth of one hundred feet. He at all times keeps an excellent and extensive line of goods, and has met with well-merited success, being a leader in his line in the northern part of the State. Mr. Nicholson was born in Madison County, Tennessee, March 15, 1844, being the eldest son and second child in a family of ten children born to James W. and E. J. (Newby) Nicholson, the former of whom was born in South Carolina, but was an early resident of the State of Tennessee, where he made his home until 1851, when he came to Prairie County, Arkansas, and became one of the first settlers of Hickory Plains. In 1858 he moved to Pope County, and in...

Read More