Select Page

Location: Franklin County MA

Hattie E. Todd Tuttle of Whitingham VT

TUTTLE, Hattie E. Todd7, (Solomon6, Solomon5, James4, James3, Samuel2, Christopher1) born in 1850, in Charlemont, Mass., married Oct. 14, 1868, Lyman C. son of Jude S. and Cynthia (Blakeslee) Tuttle, who was born May 13, 1846, and died about 1902. She is living now (1913) with her daughter in Whitingham, Vt., R. F. D. No. 1. Children: I. Lyman R., b. June 30, 1869. II. Hattie B., b. Sept. 30, 1870. III. George. IV....

Read More

Dexter Josiah Todd of Elba MN

Dexter Josiah Todd7, (Eli6, Solomon5, James4, James3, Samuel2, Christopher1) born Sept. 22, 1828, in Charlemont, Mass., died March 24, 1886, of Pneumonia at his home in Fairwater, Minn., married in 1858, Elizabeth Jane, daughter of Zenas and Julia (Smith) Elmer, who was born July 17, 1835, in Ashfield, Mass., died April 5, 1909, in the old home in Fairwater, Minn. He left the old home in Charlemont, Mass., when he was about twenty-two years of age. For the next four years he worked in the woods, most of the time getting out “shook.” In the spring of 1854, he with his brother Addison removed to Minnesota and was employed in constructing a dam and mill on Rum River. The following winter was spent in the “pinery” on the same stream and in the spring he removed to Elba, Minn., and there he took up 160 acres of land in section eight, which he at once began to improve. In the summer of 1856, he built the first frame house in Whitewater Valley, Minn. In 1858, he went back to Massachusetts and at that time married Miss Elmer, soon after which event, they returned to Minnesota and settled down on his farm in Elba, which he continued to improve and enlarge until he eventually owned 253 acres of land located in sections five, eight and nine, in what is now...

Read More

Mary O. Todd Holbrook of Charlemont MA

HOLBROOK, Mary O. Todd7, (Eli6, Solomon5, James4, James3, Samuel2, Christopher1) born in Charlemont, Mass., died Oct. 4, 1869, married, Dec. 17, 1846, David son of Peter and Amy (Reed) Holbrook, both having been born in New Hampshire, David, having been born in Swansea, N. H. Mr. Holbrook was a descendant of an Englishman, who was beheaded after the war for the kingdom of Scotland, for having espoused the cause of that country, his four sons having been banished for their part in the affair. They emigrated to America. Children: I. Edward T., b. Oct. 2, 1847, d. April 7, 1878, m. Jan. 11, 1878, Susan W. Drullard, in California. II. Frank, b. Nov. 10, 1850. III. Fred M., b. Dec. 2, 1854, d. June 5, 1863. IV. Peter E., b. Sept. 27, 1858. V. Jane E., b. March 25,...

Read More

Addison Eli Todd of Elba MN

Addison Eli Todd7, (Eli6, Solomon5, James4, James3, Samuel2, Christopher1) born July 22, 1821, in Charlemont, Mass., died Sept. 14, 1878, married, March 22, 1860, Isabella Ball, who was born Feb. 13, 1833, in Greenfield, Mass., in which town they were married. Mr. Todd lived the first twenty-one years of his life in Charlemont, Mass., assisting his father with the work on the farm. Attaining his majority, he started for the west. Arriving in Michigan, he found employment in the saw mills of Lenawa County for several years. Returning to Massachusetts, he purchased a piece of timber land and began manufacturing “shook,” or dressed staves which were shipped to the West Indies, to be used for barreling sugar. In 1854, he, with his brother, Dexter, journeyed to Minnesota, and was employed for a time in building and operating a large saw mill at St. Anthony, which was the first mill to be built on Rum River. In those days, wooden pins were used to hold the frame of buildings together. Each man on the job was requested to make a pin. As Mr. Todd’s was the best specimen offered, he was given the task of making enough for the mill then in process of construction. In the spring of 1855, Mr. Todd returned to Minnesota, this time making the journey on horseback. Passing through Rochester, where the settlers were just...

Read More

Augustus Varnum Todd of Charlemont MA

Augustus Varnum Todd7, (Eli6, Solomon5, James4, James3, Samuel2, Christopher1) born Sept. 22, 1826, in Charlemont, Mass., died April 7, 1882, married Mercy Hawkes, who was born Oct. 4, 1831, died Sept. 14, 1889. Children: *1602. Flora Annette, b. April 5, 1854. 1603. Mary Adeline, b. Dec. 8, 1855, d. infant. *1604. Lizzie Jane, b. Aug. 6, 1858. *1605. Mary Adeline, b. Sept. 4, 1860. *1606. Ellen Direxia, b. Sept. 4, 1862. *1607. Eunice Arabelle, b. Aug. 4, 1869. 1608. Evelyn Augustus, b. April 18, 1870, m. Helen Gates. No children. They live in Jamestown, N....

Read More

Mabel Juliana Todd Allen of Greenfield MA

ALLEN, Mabel Juliana Todd9, (John R.8, Iru S.7, Justus6, Asa5, Gershom4, Gershom3, Michael2, Christopher1) born Oct. 12, 1878, at the old farm in Northampton, Mass., married July 6, 1905, Amos Mason Allen, who was born in April 1865, in Shelburne, Mass. He is a carriage and automobile painter. In 1920 he was master painter for the Boston and Maine R. R. Co., at their shop in East Deerfield, Mass. They lived in Greenfield, Mass. Children: I. Howard Amos, b. Sept. 19, 1906. II. Agnes Elizabeth, b. May 5, 1908. III. Ethel Irene, b. Aug. 7, 1909. IV. Ruth Evelyn, b. July 7, 1911, d. July 9, 1911. V. Mabel Arlene, b. Sept. 9, 1912. VI. Merrill Francis, b. Dec. 9, 1914. VII. Wayne Root, b. March 8,...

Read More

Leslie Root Todd McCarthy of Greenfield MA

MCCARTHY, Leslie Root Todd9, (John R.8, Iru S.7, Justus6, Asa5, Gershom4, Gershom3, Michael2, Christopher1) born Sept. 11, 1891, in Northampton, Mass., married in Oct. 1911, Frank McCarthy, of Amherst, Mass. In 1920 they were living in Greenfield, Mass., where they were employed at the Wiley and Russell tap and dye plant. Children: I. Shirley Elizabeth, b. Feb. 11, 1912. II. Thelma Olive, b. Feb. 17, 1913, d. Jan. 26, 1919 of Pneumonia which followed an attack of the influenza during the prevailing epidemic that...

Read More

Jennie Estella Todd Cook of North Heath MA

COOK, Jennie Estella Todd8, (Horace L.7, Lyman6, Asa5, Gershom4, Gershom3, Michael2, Christopher1), born Oct. 12, 1856, married Oct. 3, 1877, Murray Cook. They lived in North Heath, Mass. Children: I. Mary Blendenah, b. Aug. 11, 1879. II. William Shirley, b. July 15, 1882, m. June 26, 1908, Olive Bolton, of Heath, Mass. III. Eva Melinda, b. Sept. 23, 1886, m. Sept. 10, 1905, Cyrus Merrifield, of Guilford, Vt. IV. Arthur Lovell, b. Sept. 28, 1888. V. Carlton Francis, b. June 9, 1890. VI. Alice Maude, b. April 22, 1894. VII. Catherine Jennie, b. June 20, 1897, d. March 8,...

Read More

Elmina Ellen Todd Gray of Ashfield MA

GRAY, Elmina Ellen Todd8, (Horace L.7, Lyman6, Asa5, Gershom4, Gershom3, Michael2, Christopher1) born March 4, 1864, married Nov. 28, 1888, William Gray, who is a descendant of John and Priscilla Alden both having come to this country in the “Mayflower”. He is a farmer and lived in Ashfield, Mass. Children: I. Lucy Alden, b. Oct. 4, 1889. II. Frank Lyman, b. Jan. 12, 1892. III. Charles Cross, b. July 16,...

Read More

Biography of Raymond P. Moreau

RAYMOND P. MOREAU – Among the eminently progressive and outstanding young men of Western Massachusetts is Raymond P. Moreau, whose business activities in Turners Falls have demonstrated his ability and carried him to a successful position. Mr. Moreau is a progressive and forward looking business executive, and is a son of George and Marcelline (Devino) Moreau, his father active in the paper industry until his retirement. Raymond P. Moreau was born in Turners Falls, Massachusetts, June 22, 1896. His education was received in the local schools, and as a young man he entered the Montague City Machine Shop, where he was active until 1916. Then determined upon striking out for himself in a practical realm of advance, Mr. Moreau purchased a desirable property at No. 83 Fifth Avenue and there established a trucking business. At the beginning his equipment comprised one two-horse team and a Ford truck. Although his progress was interrupted by his service in the World War, he went forward with energy and faith in the future, and his endeavors have been rewarded with large success. With the growth of the interest he found it necessary to seek larger quarters, and purchased the modem brick building on Avenue A, where his business interests now center. From a small beginning the enterprise has extended to a point where Mr. Moreau now keeps busy at all times four large...

Read More

Biography of Robert James Decker

ROBERT JAMES DECKER – When we think of tobacco in its various forms, as cigars, cigarettes or “the pipe that sootheth,” we are apt to think of the Orient, of far and distant lands like Egypt, Greece, Bosnia, or on our Western Hemisphere of Havana, Porto Rico, or of our own product of Virginia, famous the world over. That there is a considerable amount of the fragrant weed grown in our Northern States and distributed by a large industry is a fact known not so widely as it deserves. Among the packers and growers of tobacco in Massachusetts, an important place, both as to bulk of trade and quality of product, is taken by John C. Decker, a native of Hatfield, Massachusetts. John C. Decker, son of Gottlieb Decker, was born in South Deerfield, Massachusetts, May 3, 1855. He received his preliminary education in the public schools of Hatfield and Deerfield, Massachusetts. Until seventeen years of age he worked on his father’s farm and later, as is the custom in his locality, accepted work on other farms by the month. Later he became interested in tobacco raising and when he thought himself justified to translate his knowledge into practice he bought a farm, in 1887, in the village of South Deerfield, where he has raised tobacco ever since. From the year 1880 he has been a packer and grower...

Read More

Biography of J. Herbert L. Smead

J. HERBERT L. SMEAD – A well known figure in business circles in Erving, and in social and civic interests in Orange, is J. Herbert L. Smead, whose lifelong activities have been of a practical nature and whose present success as the manager of the Heywood-Wakefield Company in Erving, places him among the thoroughly outstanding men of the day. Mr. Smead is a son of J. Henry Smead, who died, March 17, 1924, at the age of eighty-five years and who throughout the greater part of his lifetime was an employee of the New Bedford Post Office. The mother, Sarah Adell Smead is also now deceased and both these families are prominent ones in this State. J. Herbert L. Smead was born in Greenfield, November 8, 1870. Receiving his education in the local public schools, he removed to New Bedford, Massachusetts, with the family as a lad and there learned the printer’s trade. In 1886, he became a resident of Gardner where for twenty-eight years he was associated with the chair industry. He started as a bookkeeper with the old Heywood plant and remained with the Heywood interests permanently. When he was detailed to his present responsibilities a few years ago, he was serving as treasurer of the Washburn & Heywood Chair Co., and assistant secretary of the parent plant in Gardner. When the Heywood-Wakefield Company established their new...

Read More

Biography of Horace A. Smead

HORACE A. SMEAD – The name of Smead is one of more than passing importance in the western part of Massachusetts, and indeed in this general part of the State it has long been prominent. Mr. Smead has been active in farming interests throughout his entire lifetime and now in the sunset of life he is enjoying well earned leisure. Jonathan Smead, great-great-grandfather of Mr. Smead, was born in 1735 and was a pioneer of Greenfield, locating in that community when the Indians were still frequent visitors to the white settlements. He was active in agricultural pursuits in the vicinity of Greenfield until his death, which occurred in 1814. Jonathan (2) Smead, son of Jonathan Smead, was born in 1773 and reared on the home farm, where he spent his lifetime; he passed away August 25, 1850. He was considered one of the important farmers in this section, owning a three hundred acre farm of rich fertile soil, of which he tilled a very considerable portion. Both he and his wife were members of the Congregational church and were universally esteemed in the community. Jonathan (3) Smead, son of Jonathan (2) Smead, was born on the home farm April 8, 1812, and in 1838 built the present house. He married and settled on the home farm, remaining with his father, and in 1846 the homestead was divided between he...

Read More

Search


It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest