Biography of Samuel C. Evans

Samuel C. Evans, one of the most prominent men of Riverside, and who has spent over fifteen years of an active business life in conducting some of the largest business enterprises in the colony, one of which is the Riverside Land and Irrigation Company, came to Riverside in 1874 and purchased a half interest in nearly 10,000 acres of land, known as the Hartshorn tract; the land is now known as the Arlington part of Riverside and Arlington Heights. Captain W. T. Sayward, of San Francisco, was the owner of the other half. These gentlemen in the same year commenced the construction of what is known as the lower canal, for the irrigation of their lands lying in the valley, and also the Temescal or Tin Company’s tract, which they had purchased, after spending large sums of money and meeting a strong opposition from the Southern California Colony Association, whose lands occupied the valley north of theirs. In April 1875, the Riverside Land and Irrigation Company was organized. Mr. Evans was the prime mover in this enterprise, and in July 1876, was elected president of the company, a position he has retained since that date. The company under his management purchased the lands and water right of the Southern California Colony Association, including the water right of Warm creek and the entire canal system. This gave Mr. Evans the...

Read More