Alden, Edmund Kimball, son of Dr. Ebenezer and Anne (Kimball) Alden, was born in Randolph, Norfolk County, April 11, 1825. He is a lineal descendant in the eighth generation, by two family lines. Of “John” and “Priscilla” of Mayflower fame. After attending the Randolph Academy, he entered Amherst College, where he graduated in 1844; was then a teacher in the Williston Seminary, at Easthampton, for a year, and graduated from the Andover Theological Seminary in 1848, continuing his studies there for a few months as Abbott resident. From 1850 to 1854 Mr. Alden was pastor of the First Church of Yarmouth, Maine; was pastor of the Congregational church at Lenox, from 1854 to 1859; and then became pastor of Phillips Church, Boston, so continuing till 1876. He received from his alma mater, in 1866, the honorary degree of D. D. Mr. Alden was married April 25, 1850, to Maria, daughter of Deacon Gershom and Sarah (Hyde) Hyde, of Bath, Me. He was a trustee for fourteen years of Phillips Academy and the Andover Theological Seminary, resigning this trust in 1881; he has also been a trustee of Amherst College since 1873; he is at present corresponding secretary, home department, of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, having held the office for thirteen...Read More
Location: East Hampton Massachusetts
Day, William Louis; judge, born, Canton, O., Aug. 13, 1876; son of William Rufus (q. v.) and Mary Elizabeth (Schaefer) Day; graduate Williston Seminary, Easthampton, Mass., 1896; LL. B., University of Michigan, 1900; married Elizabeth E. McKay, of Caro, Mich., Sept. 10, 1902; admitted to bar, 1900, and practiced at Canton; city solicitor, 1906-1908; U. S. atty., Northern Dist. Ohio, 1908-1911; U. S. dist. judge, May 13, 1911-; Republican, Lutheran. Clubs : Hermit, Cleveland Athletic, Nisi...Read More
Van De Boe, Joseph Sherman; real estate; born, Jan. 20, 1859, Cooperstown, N. Y.; son of John Leeland Van De Boe; common school education; married in December, 1881, Miss Mary A. Wood, of Lebanon; issue, one son, Hugh Robert, born Oct. 14, 1885; Mrs. Van De Boe died in December, 1909, while visiting her son, in Hong Kong, China; business career, began to work when 12 years of age; worked on a farm; mgr. Drug Co. in Andover, N. Y.; realizing the need of further education, worked in country store in Ulysses, Pa., and attended Academy there; then went to Eastman Business College, in Poughkeepsie, N. Y.; worked in store in country, and later taught school; studied more, and graduated from Williston Seminary, Easthampton, Mass.; lived in Sanford, Fla., for four years; bookkeeper and gen. mgr. of dry goods and grocery store; went into business for himself, continuing until 1887, when store was destroyed by fire; went to Chicago, and did a brokerage business; then with Boston real estate firm; began on small salary, but in ten months made gen. mgr., with salary of $100 per week and expenses; in 1893, located in Buffalo, N. Y.; in 1895, formed partnership with W. M. Hagar; came to Cleveland, and started present business; pres. of the company; has laid out thirteen subdivisions in Cleveland; has a branch office in Columbus, O.;...Read More
HAROLD BUTLER EWING, proprietor of a successful automobile repair business and sub-agent for the Hudson, Essex, and Dodge automobiles in Easthampton, Massachusetts, is well known and liked in Easthampton. His family is of Scotch-Irish extraction, the Ewings having come originally from Scotland into Northern Ireland in the time of Cromwell. (I) John Ewing, the great-grandfather of Harold Butler Ewing, lived and died in Northern Ireland. (II) Alexander Ewing, son of John Ewing, was born in Northern Ireland, April 23, 1822, and died in Easthampton, June 23, 1910, at the age of eighty-nine. He was a well educated man and a civil engineer in his native land. In 1848 he came to the United States and settled immediately in Easthampton, where he lived to the time of his death. For many years he worked at the Williston Mills in Easthampton, first as teamster and later as watchman, holding this last position over a long period. He bought a farm in the township of Northampton before the Civil War, and lived there, taking an active part in local affairs, particularly in the Methodist Church, where he was a member of the board of trustees and superintendent of the Sunday School. He married, in Ireland, Mary Ann Butler, born August 14, 1807, died September 4, 1885, and they had three children: John B., born in Ireland; Thomas; Alexander Mathew, of whom further....Read More
WILLIAM C. SIMONS, pioneer investment broker of Springfield, Massachusetts, and for the past forty or fifty years intimately associated with the business life of the city, is well known in Springfield, where his reputation both as a man of business integrity and a public-spirited, progressive citizen is of the highest order. He is the son of Cicero Simons, of Springfield. William C. Simons was born at Springfield on September 5, 1849 He received his education in the public schools and Williston Academy, Easthampton. His first position was with the Dean Steam Pump Company, of Holyoke, Massachusetts, but after a few years spent in the employ of this concern, he launched out in business for himself as the first broker in Springfield. Since then he has had a long and honorable business career in this field, in which he is still engaged, the firm now being conducted under the name of William C. Simons, Inc., of which Mr. Simons is president, and his son, John W. Simons, treasurer. Mr. Simons served for a number of years as a member of the Springfield School Board, and has otherwise been active in local affairs. He is a member of the Nayasset Club, the Colony Club, and the Springfield Country Club. By religious conviction he is an Episcopalian, and serves as senior warden in the Springfield Episcopal Church. Mr. Simons married Mary E....Read More
John Pepin was born in St. Jean Baptiste, Rueville County, Quebec, Canada, in 1845, and died in Easthampton, Massachusetts, July 8, 1905. He was well educated in the Canadian schools, and came with his parents to Easthampton at the age of eighteen. Employed in the Williston Mills for a time, he then learned the cabinetmakers’ trade, which, together with carpentry, became his life work. For some years he was journeyman carpenter in the employ of Bartlett Brothers, being foreman of the carpenters who built the Easthampton Library. John Pepin engaged in business for himself in 1896 as contractor and builder, operating with considerable success until his death. He was a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and a highly respected citizen of the town. He married Melvina Tetrault, of Swanton, Vermont, born August 7, 1847. Children: Eugene, deceased; Delos Thomas, of further mention; Helen, who married Fred Sinkel; Josephine, deceased; Agnes, who married Joseph...Read More
For thirty years the Pepin family has maintained in Easthampton, Massachusetts, one of the largest and most energetic lumber businesses in that section of the State, a business now incorporated and under the able management of Delos Thomas Pepin, president, treasurer and general manager of the D. T. Pepin Lumber Company, Inc. The company has done much to build up the town of Easthampton, inspired always by the ideal of service and beauty. Some of the largest and most attractive public and private buildings in town were erected by Mr. Pepin and his associates. The father and grandfather of Delos T. Pepin were born in Canada, his great-grandfather in France, where the family line is traced to Charlemagne, an early ancestor known as “Pepin the Short.” The great-grandfather left an honorable position and comfortable home in his native country td migrate to Canada, then a territory belonging to France. He settled in the Province of Quebec, where his son, Dominique Pepin, was born, and where he resided until 1863, when he came to the United States and located in Easthampton. Dominique Pepin was a farm worker. He married, in 1840, Chepheld Wassur Deiltelete, and their children were : John, father of the subject of this record, of whom further; Rose, who married Anthony Cummings; Joseph; Louis, deceased; and Mary, who married Dr. Peter Ayers. John Pepin was born in...Read More
An able and efficient public official, faithful and devoted to the interests of the Easthampton Board of Health, and to those of the constabulary with which he is associated, Clemence Charles Buckner has resided in this township nearly all his life, and is known both to industrial and civic affairs as a man of representative citizenship. He is a son of Clemence Buckner, who was born in Coburg, Germany, in 18m, and died April 27, 1871, in Northampton, and whose father was a manufacturer in Germany. Clemence Buckner attended the public schools and college in his native town, and he then went to work in his father’s mill. Coming to America in the fifties, he at first work in the Lancaster Mills at Clinton, Massachusetts, and he was later employed in South Hadley Falls mills as a designer. Removing to Easthampton about 1863, he became an American citizen, and he was employed in the mills of the Glendale Elastic Fabric Company to the time of his death. Clemence Buckner married, in Clinton, Christina Hannah, who was born in Scotland, and died August 22, 1909, at the age of seventy-seven years, daughter of John and Mary (Kennedy) Hannah. Their children: 1. George Stephen, died February 12, 1916; had served as tax collector in Easthampton, was engaged in the real estate and insurance business, and from 1891 to the time of...Read More
SAMUEL LYMAN MUNSON IT IS both interesting and profitable to trace the prosperous career of men of enterprise in our midst, whose highest aim is to keep abreast with the progressive commercial spirit of the day and to develop or carry on some important branch of industry. Of this class we have a notable example in the following portraiture of Samuel L. Munson, the well-known manufacturer in Hudson Avenue – a man of uncommon pluck, courage, executive ability and untiring perseverance in his business undertakings. He was born on the 14th of June, 1844, in the town that is now known as Huntington, Mass. He belongs to the old Puritan race that did so much toward the establishment, civilization and growth of New England as well as other portions of this broad land of free institutions. His father, Garry Munson, was a man of noble impulses and remarkable industry – a descendant in the eighth generation in America from old Thomas Munson, who came to this country in 1621, a year after the landing of the Pilgrim fathers at Plymouth Rock, and who was one of the founders of New Haven, Conn., just two hundred and fifty-one years ago. Garry Munson married Harriet Lyman, a descendant of Richard Lyman, another dauntless Puritan who crossed the Atlantic in a frail vessel, and who, as early as the year 1635, was...Read More
Few men engaged in the electrical construction and contracting business in this part of the State have been trained in so practical and, indeed, in so high grade a school of experience in electrical work as Harry Joseph Jeffway, who not only has an established repute for unrivalled excellence in his Easthampton business, but who throughout the World War was on duty at submarine bases of the greatest responsibility as an electrician, afterwards also continuing in related lines for the United States Government in the shipyards. Mr. Jeffway is an expert in all matters electrical; he has built up an extensive business in company with his brother, William Edward Jeffway, a sketch of whom precedes this, and his popularity combines with his professional ability to secure his success. His ancestors came from France to America during the Colonial era; and the family name is an irreproachable one in matters of good citizenship and industry. Adolphus Jeffway, a sketch of whose life appears in the biography of William Edward Jeffway, was the father of Harry Joseph Jeffway, the subject of this review. Harry Joseph Jeffway was born August 19, 1895, in Chateaugay, New York, where he attended the public schools, and he afterwards attended school in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, and at Easthampton. After a short season of employment in the mills at Easthampton, he began to engage in electrical work,...Read More
WILLIAM EDWARD JEFFWAY. To the prosperous activities of the electrical business at Easthampton, in which William Edward Jeffway is engaged in company with his brother, Harry Joseph Jeffway, he has brought the results of a varied and practical experience in the employ of a number of concerns engaged both in general manufacturing and in horticulture and orcharding, as well as in electrical matters. A veteran of the World War, he served in the Ordnance Department overseas, and shared with his comrades in a number of important engagements on battlefields in France. He is prominent in the community and social life of Easthampton, and is highly regarded by his associates and patrons in his business life. Mr. Jeffway is a descendant of early French settlers in Canada, his name having been spelled Geoffroy, according to the genealogical dictionary of L’Abbe-Tanguay. Nicholas Geoffroy came to Canada from France before 1679; he married Ursule Pepin, and is thought to be the progenitor of families bearing that name in Canada. Jeremiah Geoffroy (as he spelled the name), grandfather of Mr. Jeffway, was born March 30, 1803, in Canada, and he died at Chateaugay, New York. February 7, 1876, his father having died at St. Martin’s, Canada, when he was fifty-two years old. There were two other sons, namely, Vincent and Francis. Jeremiah lived at St. Martin’s and at Black River, Canada, afterwards removing...Read More
HENRY EDGAR MAYNARD – The Maynards of this country can point with pride to a name of great antiquity. The name Manard or Maynard, appears in the Rolls of Battle Abbey, as among the Normans who came to England with William the Conqueror. John Maynard was appointed Governor of Breast Castle, in Brittany, July 28, 1352, by Edward, Prince of Wales. Sir Henry Maynard, the sixth in descent from John Maynard, mentioned above, was sheriff of Essex County, and was knighted by Queen Elizabeth. His son William, was created “Lord of Wicklow” in Ireland, May 30, 1520, by King James I. Lord William was made Baron of the Realm in 1620, by King Charles I. Whether any of these were ancestors of the Maynards in America is not known, but it shows the Maynard family as one of great prominence and antiquity in England. John Maynard, immigrant ancestor of the Maynards in this country, was born in England about 1610. He was a farmer for most of his life, but had the trade of a malster. He was a proprietor first of Cambridge, Massachusetts, May 29, 1644. He removed to Sudbury, and was one of the proprietors of that town. He was a selectman there in 1646. The name was spelled in the records Maynard, Mynard, and Minor. He was one of the forty-seven petitioners who divided the Sudbury...Read More
JAMES ANDREW MAHONEY, treasurer of the Eastern States Warehouse and Cold Storage Company of Springfield, is one of its well-known business men. He is the son of the late James Mahoney, who was born in Tipperary, Ireland, in 1840, was there reared and educated, and upon attaining his majority emigrated to the United States, locating in Loudville, town of Northampton, Massachusetts, where he secured employment in the lead mines. He also resided in Glendale, Easthampton, Massachusetts, for a number of years, and was honored and esteemed by his associates for his excellent characteristics. He was quiet and retiring in disposition, spending his leisure time in home pursuits. He married Mary Ryan, also a native of Tipperary, Ireland, born in 1844, who bore him eight children, as follows: James Andrew, of whom further. Cornelius V. John. Michael, superintendent of water works in Easthampton, Massachusetts.. Thomas, deceased. Nellie, who became the wife of E. J. Sheehan, of Westfield, Massachusetts. Margaret, who became the wife of Thomas Lynn. Mary, deceased. The father of these children died at his home in Easthampton, Massachusetts, September is, 1920, aged seventy years, his wife surviving him for several years, her death occurring in February, 1914, at the age of seventy years. James Andrew Mahoney was born in Loudville, Northampton, Massachusetts, August 57, 1877. He attended the public schools of Easthampton, Massachusetts, whither his parents removed during...Read More
ARTHUR BERKMERE RICHARDS, inheritor of a vast meat trade, and in later years a dairy farmer at Amherst, Massachusetts, was born in Cummington, Connecticut, May 23, 1864. The name he bears is one of the names of Welsh origin widely known and prominent in the United States, which originated in making a surname from the possessive form of the father’s name. It signifies Richard’s son. At least seventeen different coats-of-arms belong to the different branches of the family. A manor at Caernwyck, Marioneth County, Wales, was inherited by Sir Richard Richards, president of the House of Lords, and Lord Chief Baron of the Court of Exchequer. His ancestors possessed the estate in 1550. They claim the privilege of bearing the identical arms of Richard of East Bagborough, County Somerset. This was depicted on the tablet of the Hon. James Richards, of Hartford, who died in 1680, and may be seen in an ancient manuscript in the New England Historic Genealogical Society Library, halved with the arms of Governor Winthrop, whose daughter married a Richards in 1692. William Richards, immigrant ancestor of this branch of the family in America, appears to have crossed the ocean in company with his brother, John, and sister, Sarah, who married George Pidcocke. He was taxed at Plymouth in 1632-1633. He removed to Scituate, January 6, 1636-1637, and forfeited his land at Plymouth. It was...Read More
PROF. HORACE LYMAN, – Few among those who came as missionaries to our state have held a more honored position, or have accomplished more genuine good, than professor Lyman. He was a new Englander of an old family, whose first American members crossed the ocean from England to Connecticut as early as 1639.His parents were plain farmer folks living at East Hampton, Massachusetts and in that town he was born in 1815. Of his five brothers, two went to college and prepared for the ministry. As a boy and young man, he was ever thoughtful and extra-ordinarily energetic, with a taste for mercantile life; but upon attaining his majority he turned his attention to collegiate study, and upon graduation took up a course in theology. After finishing, he began preaching in Connecticut; but being sought by Rev. G.H. Atkinson, then under appointment as home missionary to Oregon, he consented to become his associate, and in 1849 made the voyage around Cape Horn. He had further prepared himself for this work by a course of medical study at Castleton, Vermont. He was married at that place to Miss Mary Denison, whose father, William Denison, was a man of large influence. The time of leaving New York was November, 1848; and it was not until the following April that they made port at San Francisco. The old bark Whitton, Captain Ghelston,...Read More
- Alabama Genealogy
- Alaska Genealogy
- Arizona Genealogy
- Arkansas Genealogy
- California Genealogy
- Colorado Genealogy
- Connecticut Genealogy
- Delaware Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy
- Hawaii Genealogy
- Idaho Genealogy
- Illinois Genealogy
- Indiana Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy
- Kansas Genealogy
- Kentucky Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy
- Maine Genealogy
- Maryland Genealogy
- Massachusetts Genealogy
- Michigan Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy
- Missouri Genealogy
- Montana Genealogy
- Nebraska Genealogy
- Nevada Genealogy
- New Hampshire Genealogy
- New Jersey Genealogy
- New Mexico Genealogy
- New York Genealogy
- North Carolina Genealogy
- North Dakota Genealogy
- Ohio Genealogy
- Oklahoma Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy
- Pennsylvania Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy
- South Carolina Genealogy
- South Dakota Genealogy
- Tennessee Genealogy
- Texas Genealogy
- Utah Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy
- Virginia Genealogy
- Washington Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy
- Wyoming Genealogy
Free Genealogy Archives
- History and Genealogy of Blue Hill, MaineAugust 29, 2016From the record of the town’s annual meeting held “March 6, 1769”, we learn that it was “Voted that Joseph Wood, Jonathan ...
- 1776-1805 Dutchess County, New York Marriage RecordsAugust 11, 2016These marriage records were transcribed by Lester Card and compiled in 1949. Mr. Card’s introduction to this transcription reads: “These ...
- The Stillwater Messenger, 1861-1874April 27, 2016In the valedictory of A. J. Van Vorhes, written when he sold the Stillwater Messenger plant to Willard S. Whitmore, I find it stated that the first ...
- Yearbooks of the Bayport-Blue Point High School, 1945-2011April 20, 2016The Bayport-Blue Point Public Library has digitized 65 years of yearbooks from the Bayport-Blue Point High School. The books have been scanned and ...
- Monroe County, New York Cemetery RecordsApril 8, 2016The extensive online listings for Monroe County, New York cemetery records should provide researchers with a clear picture of what is still ...
- Calloway County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- Boone County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- A Genealogy of Isaac Elbert BrushSeptember 22, 2015Two publications of, one typescript, and one handwritten manuscript for the Brush genealogy entitled, A Concise Genealogy of Isaac Elbert Brush and ...
- Progressive Men of Western ColoradoJune 10, 2015This manuscript in it’s basic form is a volume of 948 biographies of prominent men and women, all leading citizens of Western Colorado. Western ...
- Fort Smith (Westark) Junior College Yearbooks 1929-2003March 27, 2015The Boreham Library at the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith, enabled 72 copies of the university yearbooks to be digitized and made freely ...