Location: Devonshire England

1850 Gazetteer of Blackauton England

BLACKAUTON, a straggling village of indifferently built houses, on high ground, 5 miles W. of Dartmouth, has in its parish 1449 souls, and 5589 acres of land, including many scattered houses, and the village and chapelry of STREET, on the coast of Start Bay, more than 4 miles S.S.E. of the church, and S.W. of Dartmouth. Here are also small hamlets or assemblages of houses, called Bow, Dryton, East Down, Borlestone, Millcombe, and Woodford. A large fishing village, called Undercliff, near Street, is said to have been destroyed by the encroachments of the sea, many years ago. H. L. Toll, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the parish, and the rest belongs to W. Dimes, Esq., J. Netherton, Esq., C.Barter, Esq., Mrs. Hayne, and many small freeholders. The barton of Cotterbury has an independent royalty, and was purchased in 1806, by L. Newman, Esq., of Dartmouth. Fuge, now a farm house, was built in 1725, by the late C. Hayne, Esq. Oldstone, the seat of W. Dimes, Esq., is a large mansion, which was for more than wo centuries the seat of the Colwich family. The Parish Church (St. Michael,) is a large antique structure, with a tower and six bells. It is in the early perpendicular style, but most of the windows are modern insertions, and the chancel walls have recently...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Dartmouth England

DARTMOUTH is an ancient borough, market town, and sea-port, picturesquely seated on the western side of the estuary of the Dart, opposite Kingswear, which projects nearly midway into the river, about a mile from its confluence with the English Channel; thus narrowing the entrance, and protecting the spacious harbour above, where there is room for an immense concourse of shipping in the broad waters of the Dart and its creeks. A steam packet plies daily up the Dart to Totnes, about ten miles above, where the valley is crossed by the South Devon Railway. The town has now about 5000 inhabitants, and is distant five miles S.W. by S. of Brixham, 28 miles E. of Plymouth, 30 miles S. by W. of Exeter, and 202 miles W.S.W. of London. The stranger accustomed to the straight, monotonous fronts of modern streets, will be much struck with the projecting fronts, carved brackets, and antique gables of Dartmouth, where many of the houses are of the Elizabethan and earlier ages. The town is built close along the edge of the large basin formed by the estuary, and up the sides of the steep hill rising directly from it. So abrupt is the acclivity of the hill, that from the level of the houses in the upper street, people may almost look down the chimneys of those in the lower street. The two...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of East Allington England

ALLINGTON, (EAST) a pleasant scattered village, four miles N.E. by E. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 729 souls, and 3500 acres of land, generally having a light fertile soil, and including Combe, Harleston, Yetson, and other scattered farms. W. B. Fortescue, Esq., owns nearly half the parish, and is lord of the manor, and has a handsome seat here, called FALLAPIT HOUSE, where his family has been seated for many generations. The present house is a large and handsome mansion, in the Elizabethan style, erected about 35 years ago, near the old one, an ivy mantled portion of which still remains. The house was enlarged in 1849, and is pleasantly situated in the midst of extensive and tasteful pleasure grounds. Fallapit was anciently the seat of a family of its own name. whose heiress married Sir Henry Fortescue, Lord Chief Justice of the Common Pleas in Ireland. She was his second wife, and their descendants in the male line resided here above 300 years. Sir Edmund Fortescue was created a baronet in 1644, but the title became extinct on the death of his son, in 1683. The estate then passed to a younger branch, which became extinct in 1734, by the death of Edmund Fortescue, Esq., whose daughter married Thomas Bury, Esq., whose heiress carried the estate in marriage to the Rev. Nathl. Wells, whose eldest son took...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Brixton England

BRIXTON, a pleasant village, 4½ miles E. of Plymouth, has in its parish 822 souls, and 2865 acres of fertile land, bounded on the south-east by the Yealm estuary, and including the small hamlets of Spriddleston, Hareston, Winston, and Coombe. The manor of Brixton, anciently called Briticheston, was long held by a family of its own name, but after passing to various other families, it was dismembered many years ago. T. W. Parrott, Esq., is lord of the manor of Hareston, which he derived from the Winters. This manor was successively held by the Reynald, Hareston, Silverlock, and Wood families; the latter of whom resided for many generations in the old mansion, which was built in the reign of Henry VII., and was partly destroyed by fire in the last century. The remains of this ancient building are still preserved. Mr. Elliott is lord of the manor of Spriddleston, which has been held succesively by the Spriddle, Fortescue, Lane, and other families. E. R. P. Bastard and Sir T. T. F. E. Drake own a great part of the parish, the former having Wollaton, and the latter the Sherford estate. The Church has a lofty tower and five bells, and is an ancient structure in the decorated style. It was appropriated to Plympton Priory. The perpetual curacy, valued at £107, is in the patronage of the Dean and Canons...

Read More

Biography of Edward Morrish, M.D.

Dr. Edward Morrish, a physician and surgeon of St. Louis, was born in Devonshire, England, September 2, 1872. His father, the late William Morrish, was also a native of England, where he followed agricultural pursuits. He married Elizabeth Cudmore, who was likewise born in Devonshire, and there both passed away, the father at the age of sixty-seven years and the mother in 1916, when seventy-three years of age. They had a family of twin sons and a daughter, the latter being Lucy, now the wife of J. Pennington, while Edmond, the twin of Edward, is now residing in England. Dr. Morrish was educated in the schools of Devonshire and in 1892, when twenty years of age, sought the opportunities of the new world, crossing the Atlantic to America. He made his way at once to St. Louis, where he was employed in clerical lines, but at length he determined to engage in the practice of medicine and with this end in view entered the Beaumont Medical College in 1897, being there graduated with the M. D. degree in 1900. After completing his course he served for a year as interne in the St. Louis Protestant Hospital and then entered upon private practice, in which he has continued successfully to the present time. He does not specialize along a particular line but gives his attention to general practice with excellent...

Read More

Biography of John Squire

JOHN SQUIRE. This gentleman is a successful merchant of Squire’s Post office, Douglas County, Missouri, and is one of the leading business men of the county. He was born in Devonshire, England, April 1, 1854, to John and Mary A. (Gorman) Squire, the former of whom died in the old country. The mother came, with her family, to the United States and settled in Logan County, Illinois The father of the subject of this sketch was a sturdy British yeoman and was engaged in tilling the soil until his death, which occurred at the age of seventy-six years. To himself and wife seven children were born: Daniel, who died in Illinois, a farmer; Jennie became the wife of Peter Erickson, of Vermillion County, Illinois; Gad died in Logan County, at the age of twenty-five years; Anna is the wife of Levi Gentry, of Illinois; Henry is a farmer of Vermillion County, Illinois, living with his mother; Josie is the wife of Charles Chance, of Mason County, Illinois, and John. In 1882 the latter came to Douglas County, Missouri, and started a cattle ranch for himself. He secured a good practical education in the common schools of Illinois, and was there brought up to a thorough knowledge of farming and cattle raising. He came to this section with the purpose of settling here if he liked the country, and became...

Read More

Ayre, William, Col. – Obituary

Col. William Passes This Life End Comes At Hot Springs On Wednesday Of This Week Was a Resident of Baker County for Forty Years , Services at Cambridge, N.Y. Masonic Lodge and Episcopal Church to Have Charge of Last Rites Col. William G. Ayre, prominent Baker resident, local sheepman and globe trotter, died at Hot Springs, Arkansas, Wednesday of this week. He was 71 years old. Colonel Ayre had been in failing health for more than a year and a half. He left his home here with Mrs. Ayre in June, 1926, for a visit to his old home in England. In Canada he became seriously ill but improved and went on for England. While in England he became so ill that they hired a man attendant to accompany them home. The Ayres left here a year ago for California. After a stay of some time, they went to Tuscon, Arizona and later to Hot Springs, where they have been several months. Colonel Ayre was born in Devonshire, England, April 29, 1856, according to his Masonic lodge records. Col. Ayre engaged in the sheep business in the Durkee country about 40 years ago. He retired several years ago and since that time in company with Mrs. Ayre, has spent most of the time in traveling. The body will be taken to Cambridge N.Y. where services will be under the...

Read More

Biography of Joseph Holman

JOSEPH HOLMAN. – This pioneer of the North Pacific was born in Devonshire, England, in 1817, and came to the United States when nineteen years of age. Three years later he was at Peoria, Illinois, at which place he listened to a lecture on Oregon by Reverend Jason Lee, and was one of the party organized to cross the plains which left early in the spring of 1839, reaching the Willamette after fourteen months of travel, toil, hardships and privation. Many of the incidents of his trip are mentioned in the biographical sketch of Francis Fletcher in this book, he being one of the party of four that remained together during the entire trip to Oregon Territory. The party that left Peoria consisted of sixteen, all of whom but four became dissatisfied upon reaching the junction of the Fort Bent and Santa Fé roads, and turned off upon the later. Holman’s party of four was determined to come on to Oregon, and adopted a motto, “Oregon or the Grave;” and Oregon it was. The three companions of Holman were Francis Fletcher, Amos Cook and R. Kilborne. They reached Brown’s Hole on Green river, where they wintered with Doctor Newell, chief trader of the Hudson’s Bay Company, and the Indians, leaving early in February for Fort Hall, where they arrived after two months of desperate traveling over a route that...

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest