Select Page

Location: Devonshire England

1850 Gazetteer of Little Hempston England

LITTLE HEMPSTON, a small scattered village, in a valley opening to the Dart, 2 miles N.E. of Totnes ; has in its parish 268 souls, and 1270A. 3R. 17P. of fertile land. The manor, anciently held by the Arundells, belongs to the Duke of Cleveland and the Countess of Sandwich ; but F. Cornish, Esq., and other freeholders have estates here. Gatcomb, a seat which was rebuilt by the late C. Cornish, Esq., was the birth place of Zachary Bogan, a learned divine, who published treatises on the idioms of Homer and Hesiod. The Church (St. John,) is a small antique fabric, and the living is a small antique fabric, and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £19 15s. 2½d., and in 1831 at £201, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. F. H. Hele, M.A. The glebe is 56A. 2R. 11P., and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for £207 per annum. £138, left to the poor by Cphr. Blackhall, and other donors, was laid out in 1727, in the purchase of Dreadon close, (10A.) now let for about £13 a year. The poor parishioners have also a yearly rent charge of £9. 5s. 6d., out of the great tithes of Berry Pomeroy, left by William Bogan, in 1723. They have likewise the dividends of £111. 2s. 3d. Old South...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Kingswear England

KINGSWEAR is a remarkably small parish, on a point of land projecting into the river Dart, opposite Dartmouth, and contracting the entrance to the harbour. It contains only 270 inhabitants, and 107A. 2R. 10P. of land. J. F. Luttrell, Esq., is chief owner and lord of the manor, which was anciently a royal demense, and had a small castle or fort, the walls of which are still standing, and near them are the ruins of another fort, where tradition says, the chain was fixed to prevent hostile ships from entering the harbour. On the brow of the hill, overlooking the village, are some embankments, which were thrown up during the siege of Dartmouth, in 1646. The Beacon, an elegant mansion, built in 1848, on a delightful eminence, overlooking the Dart, is the seat of A. H. Holdsworth, Esq. The Church (St. Thomas a Beckett,) was rebuilt at the cost of £1600, in 1847, except the tower, which contains a clock and three bells. It is in the decorated style, and is neatly fitted up with open benches, &c. The perpetual curacy, valued in 1831, at £99, is in the patronage of the Vicar of Brixham, and incumbency of the Rev. John Smart. The Church Lands, &c., have been vested in trust from an early period, and comprise four houses, nine gardens, and about half an acre of land, let...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Kingston England

KINGSTON, a small scattered village, 3½ miles S.S.W. of Modbury, has in its parish 529 souls, and 2233 acres of land, extending westward to the Erme estuary and southward to Bigbury Bay. The manor of Kingston belongs to Rd. Julian, Esq., and that of Scobbescombe to T. Bulteel, Esq. The Wise family own Langston and Wonwell, and the Duke of Somerset and a few smaller owners have estates here. The Church is a small ancient structure, and the living is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage of...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Kingsbridge England

KINGSBRIDGE is a small but busy and improving market town, pleasantly situated on rising ground, at the head of the estuary which runs up from the English Channel, between Salcombe and East Portlemouth, about six miles below, and has several creeks projecting from either side. It is distant about 20 miles E.S.E. of Plymouth, 34 miles S.S.W. of Exeter, 12 miles from Totnes and Ivybridge Railway Stations, and 205 miles W.S.W. of London. It is in the two PARISHES of KINGSBRIDGE and DODBROOKE, the former of which comprises only 32 acres, and had 1564 souls in 1841 ; and the latter has 343A. 1R. 39P. of land, and 1229 souls. The town has now upwards of 3000 inhabitants, exclusive of the suburbs in the adjacent parishes of West Alvington and Churchstow, from the latter of which Kingsbridge was separated some centuries ago. Dodbrooke forms the eastern part of the town, and is divided from Kingsbridge only by a small brook, which runs to the estuary under the southern part of the town, where there is a quay at which coasting vessels of 150 to 200 tons burden receive and deliver cargoes of coal, corn, timber, and general merchandise. The town is highly salubrious, and has a clean and respectable appearance. It is supplied with water brought in pipes from the hills near Combe Royal ; and with gas from...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Ivybridge England

IVYBRIDGE is a large and respectable village, with many neat houses, picturesquely seated on the banks of the river Erme, where there is an ancient ivy mantled bridge, on the Plymouth and Exeter road, 11 miles E. by N. of the former, and 34 miles S.S.W. of the latter. The South Devon Railway crosses the valley by a bridge and viaduct, a little to the north, and has a station here. More than half of the village is in the Ermington parish, and the rest is in the three parishes of Cornwood, Harford, and Ugborough. It has a post office, several neat villas, and many good lodging houses; three large and commodious inns, two paper mills, a large corn mill, several good shops, an extensive joint-stock tannery and leather manufactory, a district church, and two chapels. About 17 years ago, when the new road was made, a new bridge was erected a little below the old one. The bed of the river shews, by its jagged rocks, the impestuous nature of the stream, which having but just escaped from the high moorlands, rushes down, after heavy rains, like a wild cataract, through the deep and narrow valley, the woody banks of which rise in some places, above the old bridge, so abruptly, that the foliage of the trees on either side meet, and form a sylvan arch over the...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Holne England

HOLNE, a small village, on an eminence, on the south-western side of the Dart valley, 3½ miles W. of Ashburton, has in its parish 394 souls, and about 5000 acres of land, but only about 2300 acres are cultivated, and the rest consists of about 500 acres of wood, and 2200 acres of moorland, in Holne Chase, which extends about two miles into Dartmoor Forest, amidst some of the most magnificent scenery in Devon, where the Dart is seen foaming over its rocky bed, between steep and shelving banks, and lofty woody hills. Sir B.P. Wrey, Bart., is lord of the manor, formerly held by the Audleys and Bourchiers, and has a hunting seat here, called Holne Chase House, in a singularly romantic situation. He owns most of the parish, which includes the hamlets of Michelcoombe and Stoke, and a number of scattered farms; and the Hunting Boxes called Holne Park and Holne Cottage. George Jarvis, Thos. Hamlyn, George Stranger, and a few others, have small freeholds here. The Church was built in the 13th century, and has an embattled tower and five bells. It was renovated and beautified in 1849-50, and has a handsome pulpit and screen. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £8. 5s. 5d., and in 1831 at £195, is in the patronage of the Rev. Saml. Lane, and incumbency of the Rev. John Dolbeare Parham,...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Holbeton England

HOLBETON, a large straggling village, on an eminence, west of the Erme estuary, and four miles S.W. by W. of Modbury, has in its parish 1120 souls, and 4623 acres of land, extending to Bigbury Bay, and including the hamlets of Mothecombe, Creacombe, and Ford, and many scattered farmhouses, &c. Lime is burnt here, and barges of 70 tons come up the estuary. Lady Eliz. Bulteel, (daughter of Earl Grey, and a relict of the late J. C. Bulteel Esq.,) is lady of the manor, and has a large and elegant mansion here, called Flete House, which was long the seat of the ancient family of Hele, one of whom was created a baronet in 1627. This branch of the family became extinct in 1716, when the estate passed to the Bulteels. The mansion was built in the reign of Elizabeth, but its two principal fronts were altered in the castellated style, about 14 years ago, by the late J. C. Bulteel Esq., who made other extensive improvements, one of which is a large and splendid picture gallery, well stored with the works of ancient and modern artrists. Membland Hall, the seat of Robert Robertson, Esq., formerly belonged to the Rev. Sir Pp. Perring, Bart., and was the occasional residence of his family, one of whom, Sir John Perring, was Lord Mayor of London in 1803, and was created...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Harford England

HARFORD is a small scattered village, in the picturesque valley of the river Erme, 2½ miles N. of Ivybridge. Its parish includes part of Ivybridge, and contains 193 souls, and about 3600 acres of land, of which 1571 acres are cultivated, and the rest open moorland, at the southern extremity of Dartmoor Forest, where the hills rise in bold disorder from the rivers and streamlets. H. B. Rivers, Esq., is lord of the manor; but the Hall and other estates belong to Sir F. L. Rogers, Bart., and several smaller owners have estates in the parish, The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells: and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 14s. 4½d., and in 1831 at 3210, in the patronage of T. Sanders, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. W. F. Sanders, B.A., who has a good modern residence, and 50A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1838, for £180 per annum. The Independent Chapel, the London and Bridge Inns, and one of the paper mills, at Ivybridge, are in this...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Halwell England

HALWILL, or Holwell, a small village, 6 miles S. by W. of Totnes, and 7 miles W. by N. of Dartmouth, has in its parish 445 souls, and 3666A. 2R. 28P. of lands, including Washbourne hamlet (38 souls,) and a number of scattered farm-houses. The soil is various, and on the higher grounds are vestiges of two entrenchments. The manor was anciently held by the Halghwiks, and afterwards by the Verneys and Hales, but was dismembered many years ago. The parish is now mostly freehold, and belongs to J. Cornish, Esq., S. Savory, Esq., Mrs. Bastard, Hele’s Charity, N. Moysey, Esq., and several smaller owners. The Church (St. Leonard,) is an ancient structure, in the perpendicular style, with a fine lofty tower and six bells. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Harbeton, but has recently been endowed by the present vicar as a separate curacy, in his patronage, and is now held by the Rev. Henry Hare, who has a new handsome residence.The tithes were commuted in 1839, the rectorial for £235, and the vicarial for £132. 10s. The former belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, but are held on lease by R. Hellyar, Esq. Here is a National School, built in 1839; and an Independent Chapel, erected in 1831. Five houses and 5½A. of land have been long vested for the...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Haberton England

HARBERTON, a small village of 353 inhabitants, on high ground, in a pleasant valley, 2½ miles S. S. W. of Totnes, has in its parish 1496 souls, and 5755 acres of land, including six hamlets, of which the following are the names and population :- Harbertonford, 468 ; Luscombe, 55 ; East Leigh, 171 ; West Leigh, 45 ; Belsford, 55 ; and Englebourne, 49. The soil is generally light and fertile, and in the parish is a remarkable rock of trap stone, so hard as to resist the mason’s chisel, and surrounded by dunstone and slate. The manor, anciently held by the Valletorts, was dismembered many years ago, and now belongs to many freeholders, some of whom have neat and pleasant seats here, as named below. J. Parott, Richard and John Brown, C. Webber, E. W. W. Pendarves, and John Bidlake, Esqrs., and the Rev. W. B. Bennett, are the principal owners. At Harbertonford, on the banks of the small river Harbourn, is an old wollen factory, now occupied as a corn mill and starch manufactory; and in the same valley is the large shovel and reaping hook manufactory, called Hill Mills. The Church (St. Andrew,) is one of the finest specimens of the decorated style in the county, and has a lofty tower and six bells. The stone pulpit is richly carved, gilt, and coloured, and has...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Dittisham England

DITTISHAM, a pleasant scattered village, on the western bank of the estuary of the Dart, 3 miles N. N. W. of Dartmouth, has in its parish 917 inhabitants, and 3089 acres of land, rising boldly from the valley, and including Capton hamlet. Sir H. P. Seale is lord of the manor of Bosom Zeal; but that of Dittisham Wales belongs to the rectory. H. Studdy, W. Roope, G. Holdsworth, and P. Soper, Esqrs., and several smaller owners, have estates here, mostly freehold. Dittisham manor is dismembered, and was held by Baldwin de Bionüs, under the Bishop of Exeter, at Domesday Survey. The Church (St. George,) is an ancient structure, in the early perpendicular style, with a tower and six bells. It has recently been renovated, and new mullions, &c., inserted. The east window, and those in the north aisle have been enriched with stained glass. The pulpit is of stone, finely carved, gilt, and coloured; and the ancient screen, hagioscope, sedilia, &c., remain. The church was consecrated in 1333, and its restoration has been accomplished by the present rector, with the assistance of several liberal gifts. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £34. 15s., and in 1831 at £540, is in the patronage of the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, and incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. Lord H. F. C. Kerr, M.A., who has a handsome residence, and 87A....

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Dean-Prior England

DEAN-PRIOR parish, from 3 to 5 miles S.S.W. of Ashburton, has 552 souls, and about 4000 acres of land, including nearly 1400 acres of open common, on the eastern side of Dartmoor Forest. Its villages are Dean Town and Dean Church Town, on the Exeter and Plymouth road, where there are several woolcombers, and where the gentlemen and hounds of the celebrated Dean Hunt usually assemble. The manor of Dean Prior was held by the Prior of Plympton, and now belongs, with that of Skerraton, to Sir J. B. Y. Buller, but Sir W. P. Carew, and a few smaller owners have estates here. Dean Court, a large Tudor mansion, formerly a seat of the Giles and Yarde families, is occupied by a farmer. The Church (St. George,) has lately been rebuilt, except the tower, at the cost of about £1500, by Sir J. B. Y. Buller, who is impropriator of the rectory, and patron of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £21, and in 1831 at £309. The Rev. R. C. Kitson, who is the incumbent, has a good residence, and 23A. 1R. 17P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1835, the vicarial for £228, and the rectorial for £153. 13s. 10d. The Church House was built by the parishioners in the 5th of Henry VIII., and is let for £4. 10s. Colly Mead (1A.,) let for...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Cornworthy England

CORNWORTHY, is a small village, in the picturesque and well woody valley, near the confluence of the Harbourn river with the estuary of the Dart, 4 miles S.S.E. of Totnes. Its parish contains 554 inhabitants, and 2575 acres of land, including the small hamlets of Allaleigh, East Cornworthy, Tideford and part of Tuckenhay, where there are quays on the river Harbourn, and paper and corn mills in the adjoining parish of Ashprington. William Newman, Esq., is lord of the manor of Cornworthy, or Concorde; and George Strode, Esq., is lord of the manor of East Cornworthy; but a great part of the parish belongs to Sir J. L. Duntze, the Rev. Jacob Ley, J. F. P. Phillips, M. P. French, Pp. Michelmore, John and Edw. Holditch, and a few smaller freeholders. The surface is rather hilly, and the soil is generally light and fertile, resting on slate and dunstone, and in some places on limestone. The land is mostly in tillage, but has a fair proportion of pasturage, and a number of extensive orchards, producing excellent cider. Cornworthy is spoken of as a borough in ancient records, and Allaleigh is said to have formerly had a large village and tannery. Cornworthy Priory, for nuns of the order of St. Austin, was founded at an early period by one of the lords of Totnes, and was valued at £63 per...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Cornwood England

CORNWOOD, a small village (commonly called Cross,) in the Yealm valley, on the southern borders of Dartmoor Forest, 4½ miles N.E. of Earl’s Plympton, has in its parish 1080 souls, and 10,680 acres of land, including 700A. of woodland, and 7438A. of common, extending six miles northward, among the hills and dells of Dartmoor, to the sources of the rivers Yealm and Erme. This large parish includes many scattered houses, the small hamlets of Cross, Lutton, Torr, Waterleet, Houndle, and Dunaton, and part of the large village of Ivybridge, which has a post office, a district church, and a railway station, as afterwards noticed. (See Ermington.) There are cattle fairs at Cornwood on the first Monday in May, and the last Monday in September. Wm. M. Praed, Esq., is lord of the manor of Cornwood, and has a pleasant seat here, called Delamore, which formerly belonged to the Coles, who built the present mansion, and afterwards to the Belmaine, Maynard, Treby, and Hayes families. Slade is the seat of W. Pode, Esq., and formerly belonged to the Coles, Saverys, and Spurrells. Fardell, an old farm-house, was formerly a seat of the Raleighs, and is said to have been the occasional residence of the great Sir Walter Raleigh. Sir F. Rogers, Bart., is lord of the manor of Blackford, and resides at Blackford House, a large substantial mansion, in a...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Churchstow England

CHURCHSTOW, a small village on an eminence, 2 miles N.W. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 542 souls, and 1877 acres of land, including the small hamlet of Venn and Kingsbridge Union Workhouse, as afterwards noticed. P. S. Lowe, Esq., is lord of the manor, formerly belonging to the Petres, and has a pleasant here called White Hall; but part of the parish belongs to John Savery, Esq., and a few smaller freeholders. Ley or Leigh is an ancient house, formerly belonging to the Hayes, Aldhams, and Bickfords. The Church (St. Mary,) has a lofty tower and four bells, and is an ancient structure, in the perpendicular style. It was restored, cleansed, and beautified in 1849, at the cost of about £900. The east window is enriched with stained glass, and the whole interior has now a handsome appearance, the old pews having given place to open benches, and the new windows, &c., being in unison with the general character of the building. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £16. 16s. 11d., and in 1831 at £126, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Rd. Luney, M.A., who has 7A. 3R. 3P. of glebe, and a good residence at Kingsbridge. The great tithes were commuted in 1839 for £328 per annum. They formerly belonged to Buckfast Abbey, and now to Ackland’s Charity. Two...

Read More

Search

Genealogy Specials and Codes

Access Genealogy is the largest free genealogy website not owned by Ancestry.com. As such, it relies on the revenue from commercial genealogy companies such as Ancestry and Fold3 to pay for the server and other expenses related to producing and warehousing such a large collection of data. If you're considering joining either of these programs, please join from our pages, and help support free genealogy online!


Free Shipping with DNA Kit Purchase! Use Code: FREESHIPDNA


40% Off -
Special Offer for Fold3


It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest