Larnard Powers, for many years one of the leading farmers and most influential citizens of Cornish, was born at Croydon, N.H., April 20, 1808. His grandparents were Lemuel and Thankful (Leland) Powers, and his parents were Colonel Samuel and Chloe (Cooper) Powers. Colonel Powers was born at Northbridge in 1763, and was a soldier and officer of the Revolution. His family consisted of the following named children: Olive, Obed, Judith, Nancy, Chloe, Samuel, Ara, Lemuel, Solomon, Ithamar, Larnard, and Randilla. Olive, born in 1786, died in 1841, unmarried; Obed, born in 1788, married Cynthia Cummings, and had a family of five children; Judith, born in 1790, became Mrs. Barton, and was the mother of seven children; Nancy, born in 1792, died in 1829, was the wife of David Kenney, and had three children; Chloe, born in 1795, married Lemuel Martindale, and bore him eight children; Samuel, born in 1795, died unmarried in 1828; Ara, born in 1797, married Mary Seaver, of Charlestown, and they were the parents of three children; Lemuel, born in 1801, died in infancy; Solomon was born in 1804; Ithamar, born in 1805, died in 1834; Randilla, born in 1811, married Alfred Ward, and was the mother of two children. Discover your family's story. Enter a grandparent's name to get started. choose a state: Any AL AK AZ AR CA CO CT DE DC FL GA...Read More
Location: Croydon New Hampshire
Hubbard Alonzo Barton, of Newport, a member of the present firm of editors and publishers of the New Hampshire Argus and Spectator, was born in Croydon, N.H., May 12, 1842, son of Caleb L. and Bethiah (Tuck) Barton. The Bartons are descended from English emigrants who came to the country previous to 1640. They have embraced many who have become distinguished in the learned professions and in other vocations in life. The great-great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch was killed at the battle of Bunker Hill, and he was a near relative of General Barton of Revolutionary fame. The great-grandfather, Benjamin Barton, Jr., who was born in Sutton, Mass., in 1755, also fought for American independence at Bunker Hill, Bennington, West Point, and New York City. He married Mehitable Frye in 1779, removed to Croydon in March, 1784, and there in turn served in all the offices within the gift of his adopted town. His son John, an extensive landholder and a successful farmer, was distinguished for his common sense. Caleb L. Barton, a native of Croydon, N.H., born February 5, 1815, was one of the most successful and substantial farmers of that town. He has now retired from active business, and lives at East Village, Croydon. In religion he is a Universalist. A Democrat in politics, he has been Selectman and has served in minor offices. His...Read More
Ruel Whitcomb, a resident of New London, Merrimack County, for nearly fifty years, was born December 20, 1822, in Newport, N.H., which was also the birthplace of his parents, Parmenas and Rua (Hurd) Whitcomb. His mother was a daughter of Samuel Hurd, a pioneer settler of Newport. His father’s father, Benjamin Whitcomb, removed from Henniker, this county, to Newport at an early period of its settlement. Parmenas Whitcomb was a farmer and lumberman, and helped build a saw mill in his native town, living in Newport until his death, at the age of eighty-five years. His first wife died at the age of sixty-seven years, leaving four children, namely: Ruel; Sarah Ann, who was the wife of the late James Emerson; Lydia, who married Willard Morse, of Minneapolis, Minn.; and Parmenas, of Hanover, N.H., a printer at Dartmouth College. The father subsequently married Mrs. Orpha Metcalf, who died a few years later, leaving no children. Ruel Whitcomb remained with his parents until seventeen years old, when he went to Croydon to learn the blacksmith’s trade. He served an apprenticeship of three years with Dennison Humphrey, his father taking his wages. Having mastered the trade, he followed it for two years as a journeyman, and then entered a scythe shop in Newport, working there for Larned & Sibley two years. In 1849 Mr. Whitcomb came to New London, obtaining a...Read More
The 1850 census of Croydon, Sullivan County, NH was extracted by Dennis Partridge from 7 Jan 2010 through 14 March 2010. The extraction provides basic information such as the names, ages, sex, and occupation of each resident of Croydon. For space purposes and speed, I have chosen not to do a complete extraction, but may choose at a later date to add the full transcription. Every person enumerated in Croydon, however, is listed. For further verification of this census, researchers should view the original census records.Read More
Casualties in Croydon New Hampshire In 1770 Caleb, son of Seth Chase, the first settler in town, wandered into the forest, and was lost, and public opinion was divided as to the probable fate of the child; some believed that he was captured and carried away by some straggling band of Indians, while others thought that he met his death at the hands of a villainous white man. Isaac Sanger, another early settler, perished in attempting to cross Croydon Mountain. Alexander Metcalf, Jr., was killed by the falling of a tree. Abijah Hall was drowned at Glidden Bridge in 1812. Two boys, sons of Thomas Whipple and Giles Stockwell, Sr., were drowned in Spectace Pond. On the 19th of April, 1828, the dwelling-house of Mr. Charles Carroll was burned, and two children perished in the flames. Dr. Reuben Carroll was thrown from a carriage in 1840, while going down the hill near where Caleb K. Loverin now lives, and was killed. A son of Nathaniel W. Brown was killed near the bridge at the East village, by the horse stumbling and falling upon him. In 1846 the wife of the Hon. Paul J. Wheeler was burned to death, by her clothes taking fire while warming herself by the stove. Mr. Cummings, an old gentleman, was found dead between the Flat and Coit Mountain. A son of Simeon Ames fell...Read More
Young, Everend J. b. in Croyden, 1850; son of Caleb J. and Eliza (Heath) Young; m (1.) Nora A. Butterfield; m. (2), Nov. 4, 1914, in Keene, by Rev. E. F. Miller, to Mrs. Eunice I. (Rumrill) Howard, b. in Weathersfield, Vt., 1868; dau. of Horace and Lucinda (Randall) Rumrill. Ch.: Harold L.2, b. Washington, N. H.; m. Feb. 28, 1903, in Marlow by Rev. F. O. Tyler of Marlow, to Grace A. Knight, b. in Marlow, Mar., 1883; d. there, Sept. 19, 1914; dau. of Milan A. and Vesta E. (Shelley) Knight. Ch.: Emory E.3, b. June 23, 1903. Bernice Mae3, b. Feb. 17, 1905. Eva Louise3, b. Sept. 19, 1914 (stillborn). a twin3, b. Sept. 19, 1914, (stillborn). Stella2, now Mrs. Emory Knight. Bessie2, now Mrs. Webster. Frank2, birth date...Read More
Croydon, in Sullivan County, N.H., is situated on the highland between the Connecticut and Merrimack rivers, is bounded on the north by Grantham, east by Springfield and Sunapee, south by Newport, and west by Cornish. Area, twenty-six thousand acres; distance from Concord, the Capital of the State, forty-five miles; from Lebanon, seventeen miles, and from Newport, nearest railroad station, seven miles. Much of its scenery is wild and picturesque. The soil is diversified. That bordering on Sugar River is rich and productive; as we rise gradually back upon the hills it yields excellent grass, wheat and potatoes, while, as we ascend still higher up the mountain sides, we find only pasturage and forests, and these are overtopped with lofty piles of granite. Mountains – Croydon Mountain, which extends across the western part of the town, is the highest elevation in the county, being nearly three thousand feet above the level of the sea. It commands an extensive and one of the most beautiful prospects in the State, and its charm are attested by its many and enthusiastic visitors. The other elevations are the Pinnacle and Sugar Hill in the central, Baptist Hill in the southern, Pine Hill in the northern, and Baltimore and Camel’s Hump on the southeastern part of the town. On the southern slope of the latter is a magnificent portrait of a human face, known as...Read More
Town Clerks – The following is a list of town clerks from 1768-1885 inclusive. Moses Whipple, from 1768 to 1772. John Cooper, from 1772 to 1775. Moses Whipple, from 1775 to 1781. From 1781 to 1783, no records. Stephen Powers, from 1783 to 1789. Jesse Green, from 1789 to 1795. Jacob Haven, from 1795 to 1798. Reuben Carroll, from 1798 to 1805. Benjamin Barton, from 1805 to 1806. Reuben Carroll, from 1806 to 1807. Jacob Haven, from 1807 to 1815. Stephen Eastman, from 1815 to 1816. Jacob Haven, from 1816 to 1837. Benjamin Skinner, from 1837 to 1841. Daniel R. Hall, from 1841 to 1850. Nathan Hall, from 1850 to 1861. Daniel R. Hall, from 1861 to 1862. Dellavan D. Marsh, from 1862 to 1864. Nathan Hall, from 1864 to 1865. Dellavan D. Marsh, from 1865 to 1866. Alonzo Allen, from 1866 to 1885. Representatives – The following is a list of the Representatives of Croydon, from 1800 to 1885 inclusive. 1800 Benjamin Barton 1838 Joseph Eastman 1801 Samuel Powers 1839 Joseph Eastman 1802 Samuel Powers 1840 John Putnam 1803 Benjamin Barton 1841 Calvin Hall 1804 Samuel Powers 1842 (none) 1805 Samuel Powers 1843 Alexander Barton 1806 Samuel Powers 1844 Lemuel B. Cooper 1807 Samuel Powers 1845 Lemuel B. Cooper 1808 Samuel Powers 1846 Ruel Durkee 1809 Peter Snow 1847 Ruel Durkee 1810 James Breck 1848 Lester Blanchard 1811...Read More
Congregationalists – The first church was organized September 9, 1778, and was of the Presbyterian order. The following are the names of its members: Moses Whipple, Stephen Powers, Isaac Sanger, John Cooper, Joseph Hall, Jacob Leland, John Sanger, Catherine Whipple, Rachel Powers, Mary Cooper, Anna Leland, Lydia Hall, Hannah Giles and Lucy Whipple. The first meeting-house was built in 1794, and in 1828 it was taken down and converted into a town hall. The first minister, Rev. Jacob Haven, was settled June 18, 1787, and he continued pastor until 1834, after which he remained senior pastor until the time of his death, which occurred March 17, 1845, at the advanced age of eighty-two years. A new and commodious church edifice was built in 1826, which was regularly occupied by the society until 1874 when it was closed. Rev. Eli W. Taylor, a native of Hinesburg, VT., was installed pastor June 10, 1834 and was dismissed December 27, 1837. Aurelius S. Swift, of Fairlee, Vt., was ordained May 16, 1838, and was dismissed in 1841. After his removal the desk was supplied by Rev. Joel Davis, a native of Massachusetts, for several years, after which it was supplied by various clergymen until 1881. At the latter date the Methodists at East Village united with them and settled Rev. D. W. Clark, who remained until 1883. He was succeeded by Rev....Read More
Revolutionary War The sympathies of the first settlers of Croydon were early enlisted in the Revolutionary struggle. Soon after the Battle of Lexington, they sent Eleazer Leland and Abner Brigham to join the Provincial army; enrolled a company of twelve minute-men; raised eight pounds to purchase a town supply of ammunition, and chose Moses Whipple, Stephen Powers, Phineas Sanger, Abner Brigham and Joseph Hall a "committee of safety." In 1777 nine men from Croydon joined a company of militia, commanded by Captain Solomon Chase, of Cornish, and marched to Ticonderoga. Eight men joined the company of Captain Hardy, of Hanover, and united with the forces of General Stark, at Charlestown. Captain Moses Whipple, with a company composed partly of men from Cornish, "turned out" to stop the progress of Burgoyne. Croydon maintained its interest and contributed its full share of men and means until the close of the war. The following is an imperfect list of those citizens who served in the Revolutionary War: Bazaleel Barton Stephen Powers Benjamin Barton Urias Powers Abner Brigham David Powers Cornel Chase Samuel Powers John Cooper, Jr. David Putnam Joel Cooper Caleb Putnam Sherman Cooper Jacob Hall Ezra Cooper Benjamin Sherman Benjamin Cutting Ezekiel Rooks John Druce Daniel Rooks Amos Dwinnell David Stockwell Enoch Emerson Phineas Sanger Timothy Fisher John Sanger Ezra Hall Isaac Sanger Daniel Emerson Robert Spencer Edward Hall,...Read More
The first known ancestor of the Dunbar family in America was Robert Dunbar, a Scotchman who, circumstances indicate, was one of the Scotch prisoners sent over to the Massachusetts Colony in 1652, by Cromwell after the battles of Dunbar and Worcester. It is certain that this Robert Dunbar was the ancestor of the Dunbars of Abington and Bridgewater, if not of all bearing that name in New England. The family has always shown the characteristics which have so favorably distinguished the Scotch people. They are good, law-abiding citizens, with a frugal thrift and industry, a careful economy, and cautious and discriminating judgment in all the affairs of life. Samuel Dunbar was a native of Bridgewater, MA, a farmer, prosperous and respected, and reared a family there, among whom was Elijah Dunbar, born in Bridgewater April 23, 1759, graduated at Dartmouth College, studied for the profession of law, and began practice at Keene, NH, 1790. He was at Claremont from 1797 to 1804, then reopened his office in Keene, was a magistrate, and represented Keene in the Legisla ture in 1806-08 and ’10. He was an officer for many years of the old Cheshire Bank at Keene, and one of the leading members of the Keene bar. He married Mary, daughter of Alexander Ralston, of Keene. His son, George Frederick Dunbar, was born at Claremont, NH, September 9, 1793. He...Read More
HOTELS – Benjamin Barton and Reuben Carroll at Four Corners, and Nathan Hall, William Allen and David A. Sargent, at the East village, have been hotel-keepers. STORES – The following are among those who have been engaged in trade: William Cheney, Solomon Clement, Henry Breck, Peter Barton, Hiram Smart, at Four Corners; Putnam & Cooper, Edward Hall, Ruel Durkee, Joel Ferry, George Dunbar and Rufus Hall, at East village, and James Breck, Simeon Edson, Stephen Eastman, Henry Hurd, James and Lyman Hall, Paul J. Wheeler, M. L. Barton, D. N. Adams, Daniel R. Hall, and Harriet Pillsbury at the Flat; Edward Hall, on the hill between Four Corners and East village. A store was run for awhile at the Flat by an association of individuals. FACTORIES – Woolen–Nathan Clark, Jr., and Samuel Morse at East village. Knife-Joel Ferry, East village. Starch-Paul Jacobs at the Flat. Kit Factory–Moses Humphrey at Flat. Excelsior–Pillsbury Brothers at the Flat. There was a distillery at the Flat, where cider brandy in quantities was made for a number of years by James Hall. TANNERIES – Rufus and Ruel Durkee at East Village, and Silas Kempton at Flat. The former was continued for many years. BLACKSMITHS – Levi Dodge, Four Corners; Jasper Back, John Spiller, Harry Leeds, East village; Jacob Dwinnells, Leavit Humphrey, Obid Kempton, Gardner Woodbury, Dennison Humphry at the Flat; David Fletcher, in Brighton...Read More
Croydon New Hampshire Genealogy contains the 1850 census of Croydon New Hampshire as well as the general, church, civil, industrial and military histories of the town, including 261 brief sketches of it’s early residents. This is an eclectic collection of material, some of it is original, while others was extracted from a variety of sources.Read More
Baruch Darling was born in Croydon, N. H., January 10, 1799, and came to this town in 1835, and settled upon the farm he now occupies. He married Martha Shaw and reared a family of six children, five of whom are now living, four in this town. Mrs. Darling died September 27, 1882, aged eighty-four years and six months. Of their children, Chester, Alden, Plumy and Sarah, wife of Solomon Goodale, reside in this...Read More
Horace Powers, from Croydon, N. H., came to this town in 1832. He first located at the Four Corners, where he remained until 1856, then removed to Morrisville, where he died, in December, 1867. He was a physician and surgeon by profession, and practiced until his death. In 1833, he married Love E. Gillman, who still survives him, and who bore to him three children two sons and a daughter. The daughter died when only three years of age. George E. was a sergeant in Co. E, 3d Vt. Vols., and died of diphtheria, February 6, 1862, while home on a furlough. H. Henry was born here May 29, 1835, began his education at Morrisville, and graduated at Burlington in 1855. In 1866, he commenced reading law with Thomas Gleed, and. was admitted to the bar in May, 1858, since which time he has practiced his profession in this town and in Hyde Park. He represented the town of Hyde Park in 1858, Morristown in 1874, was State senator in 1872, and State’s attorney for the county in 1861-’62, speaker of the house in 1874, and was elected judge of the supreme court in the autumn of that year, a position he still...Read More
- Alabama Genealogy
- Alaska Genealogy
- Arizona Genealogy
- Arkansas Genealogy
- California Genealogy
- Colorado Genealogy
- Connecticut Genealogy
- Delaware Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy
- Hawaii Genealogy
- Idaho Genealogy
- Illinois Genealogy
- Indiana Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy
- Kansas Genealogy
- Kentucky Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy
- Maine Genealogy
- Maryland Genealogy
- Massachusetts Genealogy
- Michigan Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy
- Missouri Genealogy
- Montana Genealogy
- Nebraska Genealogy
- Nevada Genealogy
- New Hampshire Genealogy
- New Jersey Genealogy
- New Mexico Genealogy
- New York Genealogy
- North Carolina Genealogy
- North Dakota Genealogy
- Ohio Genealogy
- Oklahoma Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy
- Pennsylvania Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy
- South Carolina Genealogy
- South Dakota Genealogy
- Tennessee Genealogy
- Texas Genealogy
- Utah Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy
- Virginia Genealogy
- Washington Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy
- Wyoming Genealogy
Free Genealogy Archives
- Virginia High School YearbooksFebruary 22, 2017The following collection of free high school yearbooks and annuals from the state of Virginia comes from the collection of the Library of Virginia. ...
- History and Genealogy of Blue Hill, MaineAugust 29, 2016From the record of the town’s annual meeting held “March 6, 1769”, we learn that it was “Voted that Joseph Wood, Jonathan ...
- 1776-1805 Dutchess County, New York Marriage RecordsAugust 11, 2016These marriage records were transcribed by Lester Card and compiled in 1949. Mr. Card’s introduction to this transcription reads: “These ...
- The Stillwater Messenger, 1861-1874April 27, 2016In the valedictory of A. J. Van Vorhes, written when he sold the Stillwater Messenger plant to Willard S. Whitmore, I find it stated that the first ...
- Yearbooks of the Bayport-Blue Point High School, 1945-2011April 20, 2016The Bayport-Blue Point Public Library has digitized 65 years of yearbooks from the Bayport-Blue Point High School. The books have been scanned and ...
- Monroe County, New York Cemetery RecordsApril 8, 2016The extensive online listings for Monroe County, New York cemetery records should provide researchers with a clear picture of what is still ...
- Calloway County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- Boone County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- A Genealogy of Isaac Elbert BrushSeptember 22, 2015Two publications of, one typescript, and one handwritten manuscript for the Brush genealogy entitled, A Concise Genealogy of Isaac Elbert Brush and ...
- Progressive Men of Western ColoradoJune 10, 2015This manuscript in it’s basic form is a volume of 948 biographies of prominent men and women, all leading citizens of Western Colorado. Western ...