Location: Chesterfield New Hampshire

Military History of Chesterfield NH

In the troubled times of the Revolution the little town performed her part bravely and well. In September, 1775, the selectman made an enumeration of the inhabitants of the town, and in their report to the provincial authorities stated that thirty-six persons were absent in the army; that there were eighty-three guns in the town fit for use, ninety-nine more being needed; that there was no powder, and no slaves; and that the total number of inhabitants of the town, exclusive of those in the army, was 838. It will thus be seen that the town at a very early date showed her activity. Space, however, will not admit of a detailed account of her part in the great war. The following is a list, so far as known, of the Chesterfield men who served in that war: Joseph Smith Elijah Watson [Walton ?] Eleazer Jordan Gustavus Bingham Jonathan Farr Amasa Colburn Joshua Farr John Peacock Eleazer Stoddard Ebenezer Porter Joseph Metcalf William Day Charles Johnson Nathaniel Sanger Elijah Walton John Bishop Josiah Hastings James Robinson [Robertson?] Elisha Walton Josiah Hastings Eleazer Cobleigh Jonathan Fan Ephraim Farr Ezekiel Powers Asa Gale Jonathan Cressey John Merrill Jonathan Farwell Benjamin Wheeler Isaac Farr Capt. Jacob Hinds Nathan Thomas Ezekiel Davis Jonathan Farr 3d David Stoddard Zenas Fairbanks William Farwell Aaron Farr Jacob Davis Levi Fairbanks David Robbins Daniel Davis Richard Coughlan...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Samuel Hamilton

Samuel Hamilton, born in Ireland, in 1752, was the son of a linen merchant, or weaver, came to Boston about 1772, and settled in Chesterfield sometime between 1780 and 1785. He married Mary, sister of Dr. Joshua Tyler, May 9, 1775. He was engaged after coming to Chesterfield in the weaving of linen cloth. He died February 12, 1810. His children were John, Hannah, Hance, Loammi, James, Samuel, Ara, Fanny, Uri, and Amadella. Ara, born May 22, 1789, married twice, first, Sally, daughter of James Roberston, in 1815, who died December 11, 1823; and second.Almira, daughter of Phineas Fullam, in 1824. He was lieutenant in Capt. Reuben Marsh’s company, which was stationed at Portsmouth in the autumn of 1814. He was selectman in 1839, ’41, ’43 and ’45. He died July 24, 1865. He had born to him two children, Sarah R. and George L. The latter was born December 14, 1828, married Hannah E., daughter of Elias Brown, January 1, 1849, and has had born to him five children, as follows: Frank, Luella A., Frederick M., Frank C., and Vanetta M. George L. is a manufacturer of sash, doors and blinds, at Chesterfield Factory. His son Frederick M. was born April 29, 1854, and married Addie M., daughter of James C. Farwell, November 4, 1880. Frank C. was born November 23,...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Ithamer Chamberlain

Ithamer Chamberlain was born at Oxford, Mass., in 1745, married Hephzibah Farr, in 1770, and settled in Chesterfield during that year. He built the grist-mill on the place where the upper one now stands, at the West Village, about 1810. He was killed by a runaway horse, September 19, 1825, at the age of eighty years. His children were Rebecca, Samuel, Anna, Benjamin, Polly, Ithamer and Hephzibah. Joshua Wilder, Jr., grandson of Samuel, now resides at Factory Village. His son David W. is in the employ of Currier...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Benjamin F. Pierce

Benjamin F. Pierce, youngest son of Ezekial P. Pierce, was born in Chesterfield, August 1, 1833. He attended the district school and the academy in his native town, fitted for college under Professor Lafayette W. Ward, of Westminster, Vt., and afterwards attended Corner’s Commercial college at Boston. In 1859, he was employed in the counting-room of Gilson’s last factory, in Boston, was in trade in Winchendon, Mass., during the following year, and has since resided in Chesterfield. He owns about 170 acres of land, a large share being timber land, and a saw-mill. The making of cider vinegar is a specialty with him, a fact which is widely known. He manufactures cider jelly, and cultivates choice grafted fruit for market. He was the first successful navigator of Spafford’s Lake, having sailed it about ten years, no noteworthy accident having occurred during thee...

Read More

Early Settlers of Chesterfield NH

Early settlers on or near the shores of Spafford lake were one Ladd, near the northwest shore, hence the name of Lard’s meadow, one by the name of Jewels, on the “Charlier place, “giving the name Jewell’s point, a Mr. Reed, who settled near the east shore, in the vicinity of Reed’s cove, Capt. John Pierce, who settled on the southwest side, purchasing section No. 12, which lot included Pierce’s Island, hence Pierce’s Island and Picnic Point. The first of the pretty private cottages which now peep out from among the trees on its pleasant shores was built by Azor Marshall, of Brattleboro, about 1877, on the northeast shore. About two years later he built another, on the east side, south of the channel on the Cliff rock. The other cottages are those built by Col. L. K. Fuller, A. Clinton Brooks, Davenport and Eddy, Romazo Crissey, Sanford Smith (on the Island), J. W. White (also on the Island). Soon after building his cottage, Col. Fuller placed upon the lake the little steam yacht “Rocket,” for the use of his family and friends, and Sanford Smith has now a fine little steamer. That Spafford lake is one of the smiles upon the rugged face or nature, must be admitted by all who have had the pleasure of spending a day upon its shimmering surface and gravelly beach, while to...

Read More

Biography of Joseph Titus

Joseph Titus came to Chesterfield in 1777, from Douglas, Mass., soon after his marriage there to Mary Bigelow, and cleared and put in thorough cultivation one of its most rocky, hill-side farms. He was fourth in descent from Robert Titus, who came from near Stanstead Abbey, Hartfordshire, England, in 1635, and finally settled on Long Island. The immigrant was of a family of some note; a brother was the Colonel Titus, of Cromwell’s army, who afterwards espoused the cause of King Charles II., and on the occasion of an attempt upon the life of the Lord Protector, wrote anonymously the famous tract entitled “Killing no Murder,” which created ouch a sensation at the time, and is characterized in the State Trials as “that most able, logical, artificially constructed, and occasionally eloquent treatise,”The children of Joseph were Lucy, Lydia, Joseph, Martin, Mary, Demmis, Isaac, Samuel, Anna and Ezra, but two of whom settled in this town or state. Ezra, born January 15, 1789, married Electa, daughter of John Kneeland. A quiet, methodical man, of few words, carefully considered, apt in illustration, and of great firmness of character, as a teacher he left his impress upon a generation few of whom now remain. From rural homes, in those days of large families, from seventy-five to a hundred, where now perhaps scarce a tenth of that number is to be found, they...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of John Kneeland

John Kneeland, son of Timothy, was born in Gardner, Mass., in 1766 or 1767. He married Polly Johnson in 1791. He came to Chesterfield about 1797 and resided many years on the farm now owned by Charles C. P. Goodrich, Esq., and which has long been known as the “Squire Kneeland farm.”He was justice of the peace for many years, and held the office of selectman sixteen years in all, longer than it has ever been held by any other person since the town was incorporated. He was also representative in 1818,’20, ’22 and ’25. He died February 9, 185o, aged eighty-three years. His children were Polly, Cynthia, Electa, Lucy, Arza, Abial, Eliza and John W. Abner Kneeland, the celebrated author and preacher, was a brother of John, and often visited this...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Barton Skinner

Barton Skinner, son of Timothy Skinner, of Westmoreland, was born December 19, 1801, and resided in Chesterfield from 1853 till April, 1863. He was a manufacturer at Factory Village, and was town representative in 185758. He removed to Keene, where he died February 11,...

Read More

Biography of Eleazer Jackson

Eleazer Jackson was born May 12, 1736, married Rachel Pond in 1761, and came to Chesterfield about 1778. He settled upon the land which is now a part of the farm on which his grandson, Jay Jackson, resides, and which has always been, since 1778, owned by members of the Jackson family. He was selectman in 1782, ’83, ’87, ’88, ’93, ’96 and 1800, and representative in 1792, ’93 and ’97- In 1791 he was the delegate from Chesterfield for revising the constitution of the state. He died November 11, 1814. His children were Prudence, Jacob, Jarib, Lydia, Enoch, Elijah, Levi, Wilkes, James, and David. Enoch, born October 20, 1769, married Martha, daughter of Andrew Phillips, in 1799. Jay Jackson, son of Enoch, was born May 15, 1816, the youngest of eight children, and also the youngest of thirty grandchildren of Eleazor Jackson. He was born at the “Jackson Home”in Chesterfield, and of which for the last forty-eight years he has been proprietorHis early educational advantages were meagre, but with a brain and desire for knowledge, he has improved his opportunities, until he is surpassed by few in general literature and science. Having been early in life educated to farm work, and the care and growing of cattle, and the traffic therein, his attention has been largely directed to the fattening of cattle, and he has sold an average...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of David W. Goodrich

David W. Goodrich, son of George and Lucinda (Wells) Goodrich, and a descendant of William Goodrich, of the ancient line of that name in England, who emigrated to Watertown, Mass., about 1636, came to Chesterfield from Gill, Mass., about 1810. He was a cloth dresser by trade, but after some years’ residence here he engaged in farming. In 1813 he married Salome, daughter of Benjamin Wheeler. He died March 22, 1857. His children were Honor, George W., Lucinda, Mary E., Charles C. P., Sarah, David W., William, and Ellen. The family have quite widely separated, but nearly all are prominent and influential citizens of their respective localities. Lucinda W., born April 13, 1818, married first, in 1838, Noyes, son, of John Harris, and second, in 1858, William S. Newton, Esq., of Brattleboro, Vt. George W. is a manufacturer of flour, in Minneapolis,...

Read More

Early Manufacturing of Chesterfield NH

Spafford brook is an outlet from the easterly shore of Spafford lake. The waters from the channel, “which flow easterly, take a southeasterly course, crossing the main road near George Hamilton’s sash and blind shop. Passing Currier Bros. bit manufactory, it takes an abrupt turn northward, again crossing the main road near Fred Pierce’s brush handle shop, descending and curving around the southeastern portion of Mt. Pistareen, through a deep glen. Holt’s brook unites with this stream from the south, into the “Bitshop “pond; Gilson brook comes down a deep gorge and is bridged over in the eastern part of the village, entering Spafford brook near Bradford Farr’s grist-mill; Wild brook, running through Mr. Fowler’s farm, is also a tributary of this stream, and the whole finds admission into the Connecticut, near the county farm, in Westmoreland. Upon these waters the industries of Factory Village, mainly depend, and, if they were fully utilized, would form a large, manufacturing field. In this connection, indeed, it is a truism that a majority of the manufactories of the past, here have prospered. The first right’ upon the stream was a saw and grist-mill, built about the year 1800, near the. present residence of George Fletcher. The purchase of this privilege secures to the sash and blind shop of George Hamilton (formerly a cotton factory), the first right upon the stream. The different...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Waitstill Scott

Waitstill Scott was in Westmoreland at the time of the Revolution, and commanded the company that marched from that town on the occasion of the alarm at Ticonderoga. He probably came to Chesterfield between 1815 and 1818. His children were Eunice, Lydia, Waitstill, Rufus, Rhodolphus, Lucy, Lyman, Chester, and Justus. Rhodolphus, born January 7, 1780, married twice, first, Lydia Haven, and second, Mrs. Diantha Hopkins. He had born to him eight children, as follows: Noyes, born October 7, 1803; Horace; Alonzo, born in 1807; Cordelia, born August 9, 1; Rhodolphus, died in infancy; Otis H., born May 14, 1826; Romanzo J., born July 9, 1841, married Sarah M., daughter of Benjamin B. Faulkner, May 15, 1870, and is a mechanic in Chesterfield; and George D., born August 20, 1842. Horace, son of Rhodolphus, married twice, first, Miranda Herrick, and second, Jane Marmeir, of Westmoreland, and had born to him eight children, Persis M., who married Alonzo Wilson, Horace P., James W., Cordelia L., Sarah A., Elizabeth A., Marcia A. and George F. Horace P., born January 18, 1830, married Syrena, daughter of Ebenezer Perry, of Keene, July 4, 1852. James W., son of Horace, and brother of Horace P., was born September 18, 1834, and married Mrs. Lydia (Perry) Field. Otis H., son of Rhodolphus, married Maria N., daughter of Jonathan Hill, of Swanzey, November 13. 1848. He has...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Frank A. Pierce

Frank A. Pierce, son of Alson and Susanna (Wheeler) Pierce, was born in Chesterfield, April 20, 1854, and married October 25, 1870, Persis M., daughter of Snow Printice. Previous to her marriage she taught several terms of school with good success. She died June 12, 1883. Mr. Pierceis a farmer, residing on the Ebenezer Pierce homestead, and has had four children, as follows: Earl, born January 8, 1872; Anna L., born October 26, 1874; Guy L., born January 14, 1878; and Ida M., born January as, 1880, died March 6,...

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest