David Holman settled in Chesterfield about 1805, married twice, first, Mehitable Gale, and second, Mrs. Laura (Stone) Henry. He had two children, James, an adopted son, and Ella F. The former married Mary Falkner in 1824, who died August 31, 1841. He died April 28, 1844, aged thirtyfive years. His children were David, Hetta, William, Jason R., Sarah J., Esther M., Cynthia, George and Henry M. David, son of James, was born January 5, 1825, and married Sarah R., daughter of Ara Hamilton, April 27, 1848. He was selectman in 1879 and 1882. His children are Frederick H., Alice M., Evelyn A., and Gertrude,L. William, son of James, was born August 2, 1828, married Mary M., daughter of Josiah Higgins, April 8, 1851, and has children as follows: Mary Rosetta, born May 5, 1853; Frank M., born December 30, 1854; Frederick W., born September 30, 1856; George A., born October 26, 1858; and Helen L., born March 6, 1861, who died August 3,...Read More
Location: Chesterfield New Hampshire
CHESTERFIELD is a delightful little post village located in the central part of the town. It has two churches (Congregational and Methodist Episcopal), one store, one hotel, two blacksmith shops, town-hall, and about thirty dwellings. Here also was located the celebrated Chesterfield Academy. This institution was incorporated under the laws of the state, by an act passed in 1790. The school was soon after opened and was one of the most flourishing institutions of the kind in the county for a period of over a half century. An academy building was erected in 1794, on the southeastern part of the common. It was a two-story structure and did service until April 9, 1859, when it was destroyed by fire. During the same year a new building was erected, by school district No. 5 and the trustees of the academy, and is that now occupied by the graded...Read More
Ezekiel Porter Pierce, fifth son of Captain John Pierce, was born in Chesterfield, April 20, 1785. He lived at home, working on his father’s farm, attending the common schools and Chesterfield academy, until he learned the carpenter and joineis’ trade. At the age of twenty-one he left home, going to Farmington, Me., where he engaged in drafting and architecture. March 1, 1808, he married Susanna, daughter of Colonel Ezekial Porter, of Farmington, Me., who was born May 4, 1785. He moved here from Maine, to live with his mother, on the John Pierce homestead, in October, 1814. Here he attended to farming, trading, and manufacturing, entering largely into the manufacture of “patent acceleratory wheel-heads,”at the Factory Village, and the manufacture of bits and augers at West Chesterfield. About 1821 he purchased the so-called Cook Stand, at the Center Village, and kept a store and tavern there until in 1831, when he built the large stone tavern near the lake. Here he lived the remaining years of his life, keeping the E. P. Pierce Temperance Lake House, and which is still a temperance place. He had born to him ten children, viz.: Susanna P., Theresa J., Ezekiel P., Julia A., Lucius D., Horace T. H., Lafayette W., Andrew Jackson, Augusta E., and Benjamin F. Susanna P. married Colonel Bethuel Farley, of Marlow, November 12, 1840, and had two children, Lucius...Read More
John H. Barrett was born November 8, 1789, and came to Chesterfield in 1851. He married Charlotte Thomas, of Hinsdale, who bore him four children-Shubael, Miranda, Julia and George W. The latter came here in x85 I, and now resides on road...Read More
Reuben B. Foster, Sr., was born September 9, 1812, and married Betsey, H., daughter of Richard Hopkins, June 11, 1832. He is an employee of Currier Brothers, at Chesterfield Factory. He has had born to him seven children, as follows: James M., Helen M., Mary Jane, Mahalia S., Reuben B., Frank H., and William E. Reuben B., Jr., was born March 17, 1844, married Julia A., daughter of Hosea L. Stoddard, February 16, 1869. He is a mechanic for Currier Brothers at Chesterfield...Read More
Jesse Hinds came to Chesterfield about 1805, and settled on a farm in the southeastern part of the town. Corlis, son of Jessie, was born November 12, 1814, and married Harriet M., daughter of Elisha Hill, November 26, 1846. His children are Arthur C., Fernando P., Harriet E., Sarah M., Caroline L., Jesse B., Manly H., Louisa L., Royal T., Flora May, Noble A., Ernest W.,. William W., and Melvin...Read More
Ebenezer Safford came to Chesterfield about 1780, and settled upon what is now known as the “Dudley farm.” His children were Luke, Roswell, and Ebenezer. Roswell, born November 18, 1784, married Fanny, daughter of Jonathan Farr, in 1809, and had born to him five children, namely: Electa C., Philip, Ebial, Jonathan, and Eliza C. Ebenezer, Jr., born October 2, 1787, married Dolly, daughter of William Farr, in 1809, who bore him six children, as follows: Mary T., Norman E., Lydia P., Watson, Oliver H., and Otis. Watson, born February 24, 1818, married Catharine, daughter of Elijah Hildreth, September 27, 1843, who bore him five children, as follows: Leavitt W., born November;o, 1844; Ellon A., born March 19, 1849, married Mary R., daughter of William Holman, February 14, 1871; Charles H., born June 25, 1854; Frank L., born July 27, 1857; and Eddie A., born December 28,...Read More
Moses Dudley, son of Nahum, was born October 18, 1794, and married Persis, daughter of Rev. Allen Pratt, of Westmoreland. From 1817 till 1851 he was engaged in tanning at the Center village, and afterwards in farming, having purchased a farm in the western part of the town, where he died, April 16, 1874. He was selectman in 1832, 1833, 1835, 1847, and delegate to the constitutional convention in 1850. His children were Allen Pratt, Hannah C., Charles P., William L., and Persis M. William L., born December 20, 1824, married Mary Caroline, daughter of Thomas B. and Betsey R. (Mead) Doak, November 11, 1858. He was admitted to the bar, at Newport, in 1846, and commenced the practice of law in Chesterfield the same year. In 1849, he went to California, and resides at present in Stockton, engaged in the practice of his profession. His children are Elizabeth Mead, born at Mokelumne Hill, Cal., August 16, 1860; Elinor Gertrude, born there January 4, 1862; William Little, born at Stockton, June 13, 1869; and Mary Frances, born at Stockton, November 26,...Read More
Sergeant Thomas Pierce, the emigrant ancestor of the Pierce family, came to this country, from England, with his wife, Elizabeth Pierce, and settled in Charlestown, Mass., in 1634-35. From him was descended, in the sixth generation, Captain John Pierce, born in Groton, Mass., January 26, 1743. . He married Tabitha Porter, of Groton, and came to Chesterfield about 1770, and located at the Center Village, where he kept a store near where the stone store now stands. He served under General Ruggles, in the French and Indian war. When the Revolutionary war broke out, be owned a large quantity of land, including five nice farms, much of which, it is said, he sacrificed to the cause of liberty. Under the order from General Stark, he promptly volunteered and went to Bennington, taking part in the battle. Tradition states that he and his two lieutenants started ahead of the company, and as they neared the British forces at Bennington, they found themselves between a company of Hessians, who were bathing in a stream, and the main body of the British. Carefully crawling upon the bathers, who had their arms stacked, they separated, and representing themselves as three companies, called upon them to surrender, which they did, and they marched them as prisoners into the American lines. In 1782 he purchased the western half of lot twelve, in range ten, of...Read More
Chesterfield lies in the western part of the county, in lat. 42° 54′ and long. 4° 40′, bounded north by Westmoreland and Keene, east by Keene and Swanzey, south by Winchester and Hinsdale, and west by the west bank of Connecticut river, and has an area, exclusive of the Connecticut, of about forty-four square miles, or 28,160 acres. In tracing the sketch of the grant of Chesterfield, etc., it is necessary to glance at the trouble attending the settlement of the boundary line between New Hampshire and Massachusetts, which are written up in the sketch of Hinsdale and in the county chapter, on page 64, and hence are omitted here. In 1733 Massachusetts granted a township to Josiah Willard and others lying to the northward and eastward of Northfield, which they named Arlington. It embraced a portion of the territory now belonging to Hinsdale and Winchester. Subsequently, pending the King’s decision respecting the dividing line between the two Provinces, the general court of Massachusetts granted upwards of thirty townships lying between the Merrimac and Connecticut. Of these, townships named 1, 2, 3 and 4, lay along the Connecticut, just north of Arlington, and were nearly identical, in numerical order, with Chesterfield, Westmoreland, Walpole and Charlestown. These four townships were accepted by the general court November 3, 1736. The following year, December 13, 1737, Samuel Chamberlain, of Westford. Mass., was...Read More
William Randall came to Chesterfield from Cranston, R. I., about 1780. His children were Eleazer, Anthony, Benajah, and Esther. Eleazer married Martha Staples, and settled in Chesterfield on land given him by his father. His children were Roxana, Prusha, Diana, Nathan, and Eleazer. The latter, born August 4, 1796, married Clarissa, daughter of Benjamin Wheeler, in 1815. He resided marfy years in this town, on the farm on which his fatherin-law had settled, now owned by William L. Clegg. He died in Westmoreland, June 17, 1860. He had born to him eight children, namely: Diana, Roxana, Eleazer, Sarah Harris, Shubel Hastings, Martha Staples. Abigail Rockwood, and George. Eleazer, son of Eleazer, and grandson of Eleazer, Sr., was born February 27, 1820, and married Elvira, daughter of William and Sally (Little) Rnmrill, of Hillsboro, October 18, 1846. Having learned the carpenter trade when a young man, he afterwards engaged pretty extensively in the construction of railway and other buildings in Canada and in the United States. He had born to him two children, Oran Edmund and Frederick RumrilL The former, born in Manchester, December, 28, 1847, married Maria N., daughter of Moses N. Smith, April 13, 1871. She is the author of the admirable “History of Chesterfield,” published in 1882. Frederick R., born in Chesterfield, January 29, 1854, married Alice C., daughter of John A. and Fannie E. (Barrows) Kathan,...Read More
John Darling came to Chesterfield, from Winchendon, Mass., February 17, 1778, and settled upon a part of what is now known as Barrett hill. He was one of the party that made the famous march to Quebec, in 1775, under command of Benedict Arnold, through the wilderness of Maine. At an early period he built the large two-story house, situated on the road from the Center village to Winchester, long known as the “yellow house,” and at one time owned an extensive tract of timber land in the Winchester woods, from which he cut large quantities of lumber, sawing it in a mill erected for that purpose, then drawing it to the Connecticut and rafting it down to Hartford. He married three times, first Sarah Blood, of Groton, Mass., who died June 6, 1804; second, Mrs. Lydia Baker, of Westmoreland, who died September 9, 1815; and third, Mrs. Mary Taylor, daughter of Rev. Abraham Wood. Mr. Darling died March 28, 1824, in his seventy-third year. His children were as follows: John, born December 17, 1778, Nahum, born August 22, 1781; Montgomery, born April 8, 1785; Darius, born June 26, 1787; Boynton, born January 23, 1790; Sarah, born September 23, 1791; Mary Ann. born April 31, 1794; Louis, born January 2, 1796; and by his second marriage, he had born to him Miranda, and by his third marriage, Heliann and...Read More
Eli Pattridge moved here from Mendon, Mass., about 1776, and remain in this town until 1800, when he moved to the northern part of the state. He had born to him nine children, namely: Eli, Joseph, Amos, M Rachel,, Charles. Nathaniel, Abel and Adam. Joseph, born in 1753, married Sarah Warren, of Mendon, Mass. He was selectman in 1801, ’03, ’16, ’17 and died in 1817. His children were Caroline, Prussia, John W., Mehitable; Joseph, Simon, Winslow, Sally, Abel, Ora and Samuel J. The last mentioned born November 22, 1800, was the youngest of Joseph and Sarah (Warren Pattridge’s eleven children; while Lucretia, born November 9, 1801, who he married October 25, 1827, was the oldest of Ziba and Nancy (Babbit} Albee’s fourteen children). He settled on the paternal homestead, about two miles east of Factory Village; and was a successful farmer. His father died in 1817, at the age of sixty-four. His mother, and also the mother of Mrs. Pattridge, received their personal care in their last years, the former attaining to the ripe age of eighty-nine, and the latter eighty-two. She was known to say that during the years she had lived in the home of Samuel Partridge, she had no knowledge of an unpleasant word between him and her daughter. He served the town as selectman in 1868, was elected representative to the general court in...Read More
Joseph Atherton, son of Oliver, of Howard, Mass., came to this town about 1794, and located upon what is now known as “Atherton hill.” He held many of the town offices and was highly respected. He died April 4, 1839. He married Hannah Farnsworth, in 1771, who bore him eight children: Nathaniel, Oliver, Arathusa, Sally, Humphrey, Fanny, Rachel and Lucy. William, son of Nathaniel, born December 18. 1826, married Hannah M. Pierce, and resides on road 13. Maria, daughter of Oliver, resides on road...Read More
Benjamin Wild came here from Norton, Mass., in the autumn of 1801, and settled in the eastern part of the town. His wife was Sarah Babbitt, who died in Chesterfield in 1826, in her seventy-fourth year, he dying soon after in his seventy-ninth year, His children were Sally, John, Nancy, David, Nathan, Abigail and Elsie. Nathan. born June 14, 1787, married Rachel Newcombe, Augu 18. 1814. In his youth he had a fondness for mathematical studies, which he pursued at home, with the assistance of his brother David. He applied himself assiduously to the study of surveying and astronomy, and soon became one of the most skillful surveyors in the state, and an astronomer of considerable proficiency. After his marriage he settled on a farm near the present stage-road leading from Factory Village to Keene, about one mile from the former place. He is now engaged not only in practical farming and surveying, but in the publication of an almanac, known for a while as “The Improved New England Almanack and Ephemeris,” and afterwards the “Farmer’s, Mechanic’s and Gentleman’s Almanack.” He appears to have begun the publication of his almanac about 1819, and they were generally, though not always, printed by John Prentiss, at Keene. Mr. Wild was selectman from 1820 to 1825, and representative to the general court in 1831 and ’32. In 1833 and ’34, he was...Read More
- Alabama Genealogy
- Alaska Genealogy
- Arizona Genealogy
- Arkansas Genealogy
- California Genealogy
- Colorado Genealogy
- Connecticut Genealogy
- Delaware Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy
- Hawaii Genealogy
- Idaho Genealogy
- Illinois Genealogy
- Indiana Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy
- Kansas Genealogy
- Kentucky Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy
- Maine Genealogy
- Maryland Genealogy
- Massachusetts Genealogy
- Michigan Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy
- Missouri Genealogy
- Montana Genealogy
- Nebraska Genealogy
- Nevada Genealogy
- New Hampshire Genealogy
- New Jersey Genealogy
- New Mexico Genealogy
- New York Genealogy
- North Carolina Genealogy
- North Dakota Genealogy
- Ohio Genealogy
- Oklahoma Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy
- Pennsylvania Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy
- South Carolina Genealogy
- South Dakota Genealogy
- Tennessee Genealogy
- Texas Genealogy
- Utah Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy
- Virginia Genealogy
- Washington Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy
- Wyoming Genealogy
Free Genealogy Archives
- History and Genealogy of Blue Hill, MaineAugust 29, 2016From the record of the town’s annual meeting held “March 6, 1769”, we learn that it was “Voted that Joseph Wood, Jonathan ...
- 1776-1805 Dutchess County, New York Marriage RecordsAugust 11, 2016These marriage records were transcribed by Lester Card and compiled in 1949. Mr. Card’s introduction to this transcription reads: “These ...
- The Stillwater Messenger, 1861-1874April 27, 2016In the valedictory of A. J. Van Vorhes, written when he sold the Stillwater Messenger plant to Willard S. Whitmore, I find it stated that the first ...
- Yearbooks of the Bayport-Blue Point High School, 1945-2011April 20, 2016The Bayport-Blue Point Public Library has digitized 65 years of yearbooks from the Bayport-Blue Point High School. The books have been scanned and ...
- Monroe County, New York Cemetery RecordsApril 8, 2016The extensive online listings for Monroe County, New York cemetery records should provide researchers with a clear picture of what is still ...
- Calloway County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- Boone County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- A Genealogy of Isaac Elbert BrushSeptember 22, 2015Two publications of, one typescript, and one handwritten manuscript for the Brush genealogy entitled, A Concise Genealogy of Isaac Elbert Brush and ...
- Progressive Men of Western ColoradoJune 10, 2015This manuscript in it’s basic form is a volume of 948 biographies of prominent men and women, all leading citizens of Western Colorado. Western ...
- Fort Smith (Westark) Junior College Yearbooks 1929-2003March 27, 2015The Boreham Library at the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith, enabled 72 copies of the university yearbooks to be digitized and made freely ...