Location: Cambridge Vermont

Biographical Sketch of Joel Brown

Joel Brown came from New Hampshire about the year ,808, and located in Underhill, where he remained about fourteen years, then removed to Cambridge, where he died in 1858. Samuel H., the second of his eight children, born in 1815, has been a resident of Waterville since...

Read More

History of Cambridge, Lamoille County, Vermont

CAMBRIDGE, located in the the extreme western part of the county, in latitude 44° 38′, and longitude 4° 7′, bounded north by Fletcher, in Franklin county, and Waterville, east by Johnson, Morristown and Stowe, south by Underhill, and west by Underhill and Fletcher, was granted Nov. 7, 1780, and chartered August 13, 178r, to Samuel Robinson, John Fassett, Jr., Jonathan Fassett, and sixty-four others. The town originally contained 23,533 acres, but two miles from the western part of Sterling were annexed to its area, Oct. 30, 1828, and again, November 1, 1841, all that portion of Fletcher which lay upon the south side of the Lamoille river was annexed, making in all, 9,184 acres, so that Cambridge now has an area of 32,717 acres. In surface, the township is rough and uneven, having several prominent elevations, and lies at the base of Mt. Mansfield, which towers above it to an altitude of 4,389 feet. Owing to this roughness of surface, it is much better suited to grazing than grain raising, and, although grain of all kinds is grown to a fair percentage in certain localities, dairy farming is the principal occupation of the inhabitants. The soil varies from a fine intervale to clay bottoms, and is said to be much better on the uplands than on the intervales. The timber is that indiginous to the Green Mountain towns of...

Read More

Biography of Zina Goldthwait Chase

Zina Goldthwait Chase late of Cambridge, son of Alden and Abigail (Chase) Chase, was born in Cambridge, August 9, 1830. His educational advantages were derived from the common schools and he steadily followed farming as an occupation, at the same time dealing largely in cattle. Mr. Chase twice enlisted in the ranks of his country’s defenders and in his first attempt was advanced to the grade of orderly sergeant [p.71] of Co. H, 2d Regt. Vt. Vols., but unfortunately he was mustered out for disability. After holding many minor positions of trust in the town, he was elected by a strong Republican majority to the state Legislature in the fall of 1886, which position he filled with credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents. He was a member of the Masonic order, and was united in marriage, August 2, 1856, to Jane H., daughter of Samuel and Hannah Montague. One child, Hollis M. Chase, has blessed their...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Frederick H. Fullington

Frederick H. Fullington of East Cambridge, son of John T. and Sylvia (Carpenter) Fullington, was born in Cambridge, Dec. 9, 1851. Ephraim Fullington came from Raymond, N. H., nearly a hundred years ago, and settled on the farm which has continued the property and residence of the family for four generations. The present possessor of the estate received his early education in the district schools of Cambridge, and afterward pursued a course of study at the Johnson Normal School. The second of a family of four sons, he early displayed such energy and industry that he was the chief reliance of his father. When he became of age he rented the property, and has conducted it ever since, at the same time giving his father the shelter of a home. Dairying and the manufacture of maple sugar and syrup are his principal resources. His sugar orchard, numbering over two thousand trees, is one of the finest in the state, and has averaged four pounds to the tree in annual production. Mr. Fullington was chosen to the Legislature of 1888 by the largest Republican majority given in the town of Cambridge. He has been selectman and road commissioner, and is now school director and school superintendent. He is a modest man, the possessor of good common sense, and of undoubted integrity. He married, March 16, 1875, Emma, daughter of James...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of John Wires

John Wires came to this town, from Leicester, Mass., about the year 1790. In 1797, he married Miss Anna Walbridge, and shortly after purchased a farm on road 32, now owned by his son, Harlow, and where he spent the remainder of his life. He was for many years known as Gen. John Wires, having served at the battle of Plattsburgh, and also held offices in the home militia. He was high sheriff of Franklin county for twenty years, and also held other positions of trust. Of fourteen children seven are now living. Harlow, the youngest, born in 1830, and who occupies the homestead, was married in 1861, to Miss Sarah A....

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Samuel Wheelock

Samuel Wheelock, an early settler in Eden, came to Cambridge a number of years ago, and died here in 1878. Edwin, his second son, has been located in the town as a Congregational clergyman for the last twenty-seven years. Edwin was born in 1822, graduated from the University of Vermont, was a member of the legislature in 1866 and 1867, has been superintendent of schools fifteen years, and held various other positions of...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Walter and Amasa Cady

Walter and Amasa Cady, from Connecticut came to Cambridge among the early settlers, and made choice of farms in the western part of the town. Walter’s family consisted of one son and four daughters. Alpheus, the youngest of the children, born in 1800, married Samantha Stevens in 1830, and reared a family of four sons and one daughter. The only one of the family now residing here is Harrison F., on road 42. He was born in 1836, married Sophronia M. Parker, in 1863, and has had five children, two of whom...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Robert Cochran

Robert Cochran, from Bennington, an early settler in the eastern part, died in old age. He reared a family of ten children, all but one of whom located in the town. Robert, his second son, born in 1790, served in the war of 1812, resided here until 1840, then removed to the West, where he died in 1850. Samantha, one of thirteen children, born in 1808, still resides...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of William Campbell

William Campbell was an early settler from Massachusetts. He located in the northern part of Cambridge, where he resided until his death, which was occasioned by the falling of a tree. Of his family of six children, three settled in Cambridge. Jeanette, the eldest child, became the wife of John Wilson, and reared a family of seven children, of whom John M., the fifth, born in 1818, now resides...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Truman Powell

Truman Powell, from Manchester, Vt., came to Cambridge among the early settlers, in 1787, and located upon the old Powell homestead, on road 34. The farm was given to him by his father, Martin Powell. The deed for the same was drawn up by Gideon Ormsby, justice of the peace, in 1787, and reads as follows: “For and in consideration of the natural love and goodwill I have and bear unto my son, Truman Powell, I deed, etc.” Truman was a pensioner of the Revolution, and his son, Egbert, who now resides on the homestead, was present at the battle of Plattsburgh. Truman had a family of nine children, two of whom, Egbert, and Mrs. Patty Bently, of Chicago, are living. Egbert was born in Manchester, Vt., in 1786, and came to Cambridge with his father, so that he now, at the age of ninety-six years, is the oldest resident of the town. He has had a family of eight children, six of whom are living. Truman D., his seventh child, occupies the old farm-house, built in 1812, and has two...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Willard Griswold

Willard Griswold, from Springfield, Vt., came here previous to 1820, and commenced work as a carpenter. In 1825, he built the house now occupied by his son, Alonzo C. During his long life here, he held the office of town clerk from 1839 to 1848, and served as representative two terms. Of his family of eight children, four now reside in town. Alonzo C., the youngest child, born in 1841, occupies the old homestead on road 26. Willard H., the fourth child, born in 1831, was engaged in mercantile pursuits from 1856 until 1875, and has held the office of town clerk since...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Patrick Duffy

Patrick Duffy, from Ireland, came to Cambridge about 1820, and located on road 49, where he resided until his death in 1865, aged sixty-four. He had a family of eight children. Margaret E., the eldest, became the wife of Edward Henley, in 1850. Mr. Henley died in 1875, leaving four...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Ira Morgan

Ira Morgan, of Pownal, Vt., born in 1773, came to Cambridge about 1800. In 1803, he married Mary Barber, by whom he had four children, and, in 1817, he married his second wife, Mary Phillips, this union being blessed with four children, two of whom now reside here. He died in 1848, aged seventy-five. William-S., his fifth child, born in 1817, occupies the old homestead, and has never been absent from town six consecutive...

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest