Location: Brooklyn New York

Biographical Sketch of John Suverkrup

John Suverkrup, senior partner of the firm of Suverkrup & Hook, manufacturers of and dealers in lumber at San Bernardino, has been sixteen years on the Pacific coast and twelve years in San Bernardino County. Prior to locating here he was engaged in the grocery business in Sacramento; and after settling in San Bernardino he for a time devoted his attention to farming. In 1887 he and his partner, John Hook, built the mill known as the Saverkrup & Hook Mill, on the mountains north of the city, which has a cutting capacity of 20,000 feet of lumber per day, and giving employment to eighteen or twenty men. The firm owns two sections of choice timber on the mountain, consisting of yellow, black and sugar pine, and cedar, which will require fourteen years to manufacture into lumber at the present rate of cutting, 800,000 to 1,000,000 feet a year. They own and conduct a lumberyard in San Bernardino for the purpose of handling the lumber cut by their mill exclusively, and in which they carry a stock of 500,000 to 600,000 feet of lumber. The product of the mill is transported down the mountain into the valley on heavy wagons drawn by six mule teams, which haul 2,000 to 3,000 feet at a load. This lumber, consisting of everything in the line of building material, finds a market in...

Read More

Hochbrueckner, Thomas Peter “Tom” – Obituary

Baker City, Oregon Thomas Peter “Tom” Hochbrueckner, 79, of Baker City died Wednesday, Sept. 8, 2004, at St. Elizabeth Health Services. His graveside memorial service will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at Mount Hope Cemetery. The Rev. James R. Watt of St. Francis de Sales Cathedral will officiate. Tom was born on Jan. 5, 1925, at Estacada. His father died when he was 5 and the family moved to Brooklyn, N.Y. During the Depression years, he gained experience by working jobs out of the city during the summer. He worked in a crab canning factory in Maryland, on a small truck farm in upstate New York and as a waiter in a vacation boarding home in Pennsylvania. He returned to Oregon and graduated from Estacada High School. After graduation, he entered the U.S. Navy where he served until the end of World War II. He was recalled to service during the Korean conflict. After his discharge from the Navy, he entered the automotive parts distribution industry in the Los Angeles area. In 1968, he took a position as parts distribution manager with Kaiser Jeep Corp. in Portland. He retired from the position in 1985 after several assignments across the nation and back. Tom will always be remembered as “the only native Oregonian with a Brooklyn accent.” He was preceded in death by his mother, father and three wives, Lorraine,...

Read More

Biography of Mrs. Ellen Woods Crafts Meacham

Mrs. Ellen Woods Crafts Meacham. This lady, who, with her husband and family, occupies as a residence one of the old landmarks of the county (the well known Crafton Retreat), is a native of Jackson, Michigan, and daughter of Myron Harwood and Miranda (Capen) Crafts. Her father, who was born in Whately, the family seat, was a man of great force of character. He came to San Bernardino County when the country was new, locating at the place which took his name, and left the impress of his character indelibly upon the community. His unusual business ability, while securing for him ample means and property, could have enabled him to accumulate a much vaster fortune had his inclinations run more to hoarding. He established his home at the place which took the name of “Crafton Retreat,” a spot of great natural beauty, which has been rather enhanced than detracted from by the hand of man. He had a clear foresight of the great future which was in store for the community of his adopted home, and his judgment was verified even before his death, which occurred in this county. He was one of the early members of the Republican Party, and during the war stood manfully by his convictions, though he and a Mr. Robbins at that time cast the only Republican votes in the county. His daughter, Mrs....

Read More

Biography of Jabez Bunting Watkins

Jabez Bunting Watkins of Lawrence is one of the most successful lawyers and bankers of the state. His business affairs have not been confined to Kansas but have extended all over the southwestern country. His reputation as a financial authority is likewise wide extended. A son of James and Barbara (Sprankle) Watkins, he was born near Punxsutawney in Indiana County, Pennsylvania, June 25, 1845. His father was a native of Wales, came to America at the age of twenty-five and died in Pennsylvania when his son, Jabez, was eight years old. The mother was a native of Pennsylvania of German parentage. Mr. Watkins was named in honor of Jabez Bunting, a noted Methodist minister who was buried in the Wesley churchyard in London, England. Across the road from that grave lie the bodies of John Bunyan, Daniel DeFoe and Isaac Watts, authors respectively of Pilgrim’s Progress, Robinson Crusoe and many of the best loved Gospel hymns. At the age of fifteen Mr. Watkins accompanied his mother and other members of the family from Pennsylvania to Fairfax County, Virginia. He lived in that county during the stressful days of the Civil war. His home was a cabin of two rooms and an attic. The home was in the country which was so desperately fought for by the armies of the North and the South. The Watkins house was near enough...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Harvey Hewitt

Harvey Hewitt, residing three miles northwest of Redlands, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1859. His father, Isaac L. Hewitt, was a native of New York, and for fifteen years was senior member of the firm of Hewitt & Schofield, petroleum commission. At one time he owned a line of steamers on Lake Erie. He is now retired from active life. He had five children, the subject of our sketch being the fourth. He was educated at the Polytechnic Institute at Brooklyn, New York. He was connected with the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, on the engineer corps, for two years. He came to Lugonia in 1881 and purchased 240 acres of land, 100 of which he now has under cultivation. At present he is deputy surveyor of San Bernardino...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of H. H. Sinclair

H. H. Sinclair, Redlands, was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1858. He attended the public schools of that city, and afterward went to Cornell University, and was a member of the class of 1880. Subsequent to this he practiced law in New York City for two years. Then he engaged in the shipping business for a while. His health failing he came to California, and has since given his attention to his fine orange orchard in Lugonia. He is a member of the city council of Redlands, and was a member of the first board. He is also a member of the executive committee of the Board of Trade. He is secretary of the Lugonia Water Company, also of the Sunnyside Ditch Company. He is secretary and director of the Redlands Fruit Growers’ Association. In his early life he followed the sea for three years, from the age of fifteen to eighteen years, and was made second mate. In 1882 he was married to Agnes Rowley, of New York City. Mr. Sinclair has the largest and oldest orange orchard in the valley, and is still enlarging its...

Read More

Biography of Colonel Henry W. Robinson

Colonel Henry W. Robinson, for nearly a quarter of a century, has been identified with Southern California, and for the past seventeen years has been a resident of Riverside, and associated with its growth and progress. He was born in Chelsea, England, in 1840. In 1850 his parents immigrated to the United States and located in Brooklyn, New York, where he attended the public schools until thirteen years of age and then engaged as clerk in a drag store in New York City. He was attentive to his duties and acquired a practical knowledge of the business, but his naturally roving disposition prompted him to seek a different life, and in 1859 he enlisted in the Third Regiment of United States Artillery. The breaking out of the civil war in 1861 found Mr. Robinson well trained in the practical duties of a soldier’s life, and he was honorably discharged from the regular army, to enable him to accept a Lieutenant’s commission in the New York Volunteers. His military knowledge made him a valuable acquisition to the State troops, and he was appointed Aid-de-Camp on the Staff of General Seymour. He served in the Army of the Potomac, Department of the South, and in Florida, until 1864, and was then appointed and commissioned Lieutenant-Colonel in the Fourth Regiment United States Veteran Volunteers, and he also received the rank of Colonel...

Read More

Biography of Louis J. Licht

Louis J. Licht, secretary and treasurer of a large stock company for the preparation of cereals, in Geneva, Ontario county, New York, is of German descent. His father Frederick Licht was born in Germany, 1825, and died in this country, 1905. He came to America in 1832, and was the inventor of the process which has since been improved upon by his sons and in which the family has been successful in accumulating a fortune. He married Elizabeth Klinck, born in this country, 1832, died, 1882. They had five children, three of whom are now (1910) living and engaged together in business. Louis J. Licht was born in East Williamsburg, Long Island, September 2, 1862. He was educated in the public schools of his native city and was graduated from the Brooklyn high school. At the age of eighteen years he entered upon his business career, accepting a position in the office of the Brooklyn Sugar Refining Company, and remained with this concern for five years, (luring which time he had risen to the position of statement clerk. He then engaged in the manufacture of cereals in Brooklyn, under the firm name of Licht & Company, and in 1888 removed to Geneva, New York. There he organized the present stock company for the manufacture of cereals. The enterprise was started on a small scale, rather in the nature of...

Read More

Early Settlement of the Hudson River

In 1610 a Dutch ship visited Manhattan to trade with the Indians and was soon followed by others on like enterprise. In 1613 Adrian Block came with a few comrades and remained the winter. In 1614 the merchants of North Holland organized a company and obtained from the States General a charter to trade in the New Netherlands, and soon after a colony built a few houses and a fort near the Battery. The entire island was purchased from the Indians in 1624 for the sum of sixty guilders or about twenty-four dollars. A fort was built at Albany in 1623 and known as Fort Aurania or Fort Orange. From Wassenaer’s “Historie van Europa,” 1621-1632, as translated in the 3d volume of the Documentary History of New York, a castle—Fort Nassau—was built in 1624, on an island on the north side of the River Montagne, now called Mauritius. “But as the natives there were somewhat discontented, and not easily managed, the projectors abandoned it, intending now to plant a colony among the Maikans (Mahicans), a nation lying twenty-five miles (American measure seventy-five miles) on both sides of the river, upwards.” In another document we learn that “The West India Company being chartered, a vessel of 130 lasts, called the ‘New Netherland’ (whereof Cornelius Jacobs, of Hoorn, was skipper), with thirty families, mostly Walloons, was equipped in the spring of...

Read More

Biography of Hugh Beverly Roney

HUGH BEVERLY RONEY, M. D., a progressive and successful physician of Pittsfield, whose preparations for his profession were made in leading educational institutions and whose success well appraises his ability, is interested in local and general progress, and in his profession he has attained an enviable position. He is a son of Gifford and Victoria (Lott) Roney, the father now deceased, the mother a resident of Pittsfield. Hugh Beverly Roney was born at Colborne, Canada, January 20, 1886. He received his early education in the public schools of his birthplace and spent two years in the high schools of Newburgh, Canada, after which he entered upon a preparatory course in the Centenary Seminary at Hackettstown, Canada. His choice of a profession made, he entered Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia where he graduated in the class of 1909 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He gained his institutional experience in the Cumberland Street Hospital, of Brooklyn, New York, where he was house physician for eighteen months, Dr. Roney coming to Pittsfield directly from that institution, and in November of 1910, he established himself in the general practice of his profession. In this line Dr. Roney has achieved a noteworthy position in professional circles in Western Massachusetts and in his present prominence he bears a definite influence for general as well as local progress. During the World War he served...

Read More

Biography of Samuel Partridge Billings

SAMUEL PARTRIDGE BILLINGS, as deputy collector of internal revenue for Franklin and Hampshire counties, is rendering efficient service in local public office. Mr. Billings traces his descent from Richard Billings, who was in Hartford, Connecticut, with his wife, Margery, in 1640. He removed to Hatfield, Massachusetts, in 1661, and died there March 3, 1679. The line descends through their son, Samuel Billings, who married Sarah Fellows, daughter of Richard and Ursula Fellows. Their son, Samuel Billings, who married Hannah Church. Their son, Fellows Billings, born February 15, 1704, died June 29, 1784; removed to Conway during the Revolutionary War, in which conflict he served with the rank of lieutenant; was representative in 1757, and for ten years following. He married, November 27, 1735, Mary Eastman, daughter of Joseph and Mercy Smith Eastman. Their son, William Billings, of whom further, great-grandfather of Samuel Partridge Billings. William Billings, son of Fellows and Mary (Eastman) Billings, was born July 20, 1744, and died November 8, 1812. He chose the legal profession, and after graduation from Yale College, in 1765, was admitted to the Massachusetts bar. He took an active interest in public offices, serving as justice of the peace and as representative in 1769-70-72. He married Jerusha Williams, daughter of Colonel Israel Williams, of Hatfield, and they had a son Israel, of whom further. Hon. Israel Billings, son of William and Jerusha...

Read More

Lindley, Susan Clair Monaghan Mrs. – Obituary

Baker City, Baker County, Oregon Susan Clair Lindley, 58, of Baker City, died May 14, 2006, at St. Luke’s Medical Center in Boise. After a courageous struggle, she died from complications after surgery. She also had a longtime battle with breast cancer. In celebration of Sue’s life, recitation of the rosary will be at 7:30 p.m. Monday at St. Francis de Sales Cathedral, First and Church streets. The Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 2 p.m. on Tuesday at the cathedral. Susan was born on Dec. 31, 1947, at Brooklyn, N.Y., to Daniel Richard Monaghan, insurance executive, and Clair Santer Monaghan. Her father moved the family, including older sister, Patricia, to Seattle, Wash., in May 1949 and then later to Kansas City. In 1954, the family then moved back west to Tacoma, Wash., where Susan attended all-girl Catholic schools. As a young girl growing up, she loved ice skating, horseback riding and water skiing. She had a horse named April, which she enjoyed riding for many years. She attended Mount Angel College, where she met her husband, David F. Lindley. She later graduated with a degree in education from Marylhurst College. Dave and Sue were married on June 20, 1970. They moved to Portland where Dave worked as an accountant. After Sue’s initial student teaching experience, in an inner-city Portland school, she was uncertain if she wanted...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Martin W. Annin

Martin W. Annin, carpenter and builder, Oakland; the subject of this sketch is the son of J. V. D. Annin, whose biography appears in this work, and whose genealogy is given for four generations past; he was born in Somerset Co., N. J., Jan. 5, 1831, where he engaged in farming until 15 years of age, when he went to Brooklyn, N. Y., and learned and worked at the carpenter trade until 20 years of age, when he emigrated; with his parents, and located in Lee Co., Ill., in 1850, remaining here a short time, when he went to Peoria Co., and worked at his trade until January, 1852, when he removed to Oakland, Coles Co., Ill., and engaged in contracting and building, which business he has since successfully followed; he owns his residence in Oakland, which he erected in 1877; also his shop, located at Lauson’s lumberyard, East Oakland Depot; his business card will be found in the business directory of Oakland, in another part of this work. He married Jan. 10, 1861, to Angeline T. Payne; she was born in Hamilton Co., Ohio, July 27, 1833, and emigrated with her parents to this county in 1835; they have one child by this union-011ie, born June 15,...

Read More

Biography of R. A. Traver

R. A. Traver, of the firm of Traver & Nixon, manufacturers of and dealers in brooms, brushes, etc., Charleston; was born in Schenectady Co., N. Y., Aug. 19, 1837; he was raised on a farm; in 1856, he removed with his parents to Brooklyn, N. Y., where, for two years, he was employed as a book-keeper for A. W. Hendrickson & Co., coal-dealers; in 1858, he went to Harrison Co., W. Va., where he was engaged in farming and carpentering till 1867; he then came to Clark Co., Ill., and engaged in the broom business, but soon afterward removed to Charleston, where he established the Charleston Broom-Factory, and has been an enterprising citizen of the city ever since; he is at present a member of the Board of Aldermen. His partner in the business, M. C. Nixon, is a native of Harrison Co., W. Va., his father being one of the most prominent farmers in that part of the State; at the age of 18, he went to Pittsburgh, Penn., where he received a thorough business education in the Iron City Business College; he then spent a few years in traveling in the West, and, in 1874, came to Charleston and entered into partnership with Mr. Traver. When Mr. Traver came to Charleston, there were but about fifteen acres of broomcorn cultivated in Coles Co.; its culture is now...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of McKeen, D. W.

McKeen, D. W. physician and surgeon, located in Russell, Kan., in December, 1878, where he engaged in the practice of his profession. He was born in Ackworth, N. H., in 1852; began the study of medicine at the age of twenty-one; he was educated at the Kimbal. Union Academy of Meridan, N. H., graduating in June, 1875; began reading medicine the latter year; attended lectures at Long Island College, and at the hospital, Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1878. He graduated from the college of physicians and surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa; began the practice of medicine in Russell; he has been county physician two years. Is a member of the A. O. U. W., and the examining physician for that order. Was married in May, 1882, to Miss Ella B. Loring, a native of Missouri, recently of Wichita,...

Read More


Subscribe to Website via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 3,642 other subscribers

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Recent Comments

Pin It on Pinterest