Select Page

Location: Boscawen New Hampshire

Narrative of the Captivity of Mrs. Isabella M’coy – Indian Captivities

Narrative of the Captivity of Mrs. Isabella M’coy, who was taken Captive at Epsom, N. H., in the Year 1747. Collected From the Recollections of Aged People who knew her, by the Rev. Jonathan Curtis, a Minister of that Town, about Seventeen Years ago, and by Him Communicated to the Publishers of the New Hampshire Historical Collections. The Indians were first attracted to the new settlements in the town of Epsom, N. H., by discovering M’Coy at Suncook, now Pembroke. This, as nearly as can be ascertained, was in the year 1747. Reports were spread of the depredations of the Indians in various places; and M’Coy had heard that they had been seen lurking about the woods at Penacook, now Concord. He went as far as Pembroke; ascertained that they were in the vicinity; was somewhere discovered by them, and followed home. They told his wife, whom they afterwards made prisoner, that they looked through cracks around the house, and saw what they had for supper that night. They however did not discover themselves till the second day after. They probably wished to take a little time to learn the strength and preparation of the inhabitants. The next day, Mrs. M’Coy, attended by their two dogs, went down to see if any of the other families had returned from the garrison. She found no one. On her return, as...

Read More

Biography of Walter Sargent

Walter Sargent, of Elm Farm, in the town of Warner, N.H., is well known as one of the most skilful, progressive, and successful agriculturists of Merrimack County. He was born December 25, 1837, in Warner Lower Village, a son of Abner and Martha J. (Morrill) Sargent. He is of English antecedents, tracing his lineage back to Richard Sargent, an English naval officer, whose son William, born in England in 1602, was the emigrant ancestor. He came to New England at an early period, taking with him a family of daughters, who had been left motherless by the death of his first wife, Judith Perkins, and was one of the twelve men who began a settlement at Ipswich, Mass., in 1633. He subsequently helped form settlements in Newbury, Mass., and Hampton, N.H.; and in 1640 he removed to Salisbury, Mass., becoming one of the eighteen original proprietors of that part of Essex County now included within the limits of Amesbury. His second wife, Elizabeth, bore him two sons-Thomas and William. He received several grants of land, and in 1667 was one of the Selectmen of the town. He continued his residence in Amesbury until his death in 1675. The line was continued through his son Thomas, who was born June 11, 1643, and married Rachel Barnes. Their son, Thomas, Jr., born November 15, 1676, was the father of Stephen Sargent,...

Read More

Biography of Edmund Silver

Edmund Silver, a thriving farmer of Boscawen, N.H., was born in Bow, this State, September 10, 1834. His parents, Edmund and Sallie (Dow) Silver, who resided in Bow for the greater part of their lives, died when their son Edmund was quite young. They had nine children-Lewis, Laura, Cyrene, Leonard, Gideon, Sullivan, Daniel, Edmund, and George. Lewis died in March, 1897. Daniel is engaged in farming in Salisbury, N.H. George is in Penacook; and the others, except Edmund, the subject of our sketch, are deceased. Edmund Silver received his education in the district schools, remaining at home with his parents until he was seven years of age. He then went to Ware, Mass., where he was employed on a farm; and he was similarly engaged in other towns for a few years, returning subsequently to Bow. At the age of twenty he went to Canterbury, remaining there three and a half years. He then spent three years in Warner, N.H., afterward removing to Webster, in which place he was engaged in farming for about thirty-five years. Subsequently, coming to Boscawen, he purchased his present farm, then known as the Ferrin farm. It contains about sixty-five acres, most of which is under cultivation. Besides general farming he carries on a milk business. He also owns the farm at Webster where he formerly lived, which contains forty-five acres. On November 2,...

Read More

Biography of J. Albert Peaslee

J. Albert Peaslee, an important factor of the agricultural and business community of Bradford, Merrimack County, was born in this town, on the farm that he still owns, December 14, 1845. His father, John Peaslee, a son of Samuel Peaslee, was a lifelong resident of Bradford. He was the Representative of an early settled family in New Hampshire, and one whose descendants are numerous in Hillsborough County, where, in the town of Pelham, they have an annual gathering. John Peaslee settled on the homestead farm now owned by his son, J. Albert, soon after attaining his majority, purchasing at first but ten acres. As time went on he bought other land, made valuable improvements; and at his death, which occurred in March, 1884, at the venerable age of fourscore and four years, he had one of the most valuable and attractive estates in the vicinity. He was twice married. His first wife was Chloe Maxfield, daughter of Richard Maxfield, who once owned the village of Bradford, then called Fishersfield. She died leaving two sons-Oliver, now of Bradford; and William, of Amherst, N.H. -and four daughters, namely: Margaret, wife of Stillman Parkhurst, of Bedford, N.H.; Minda, wife of B. B. Whiting, of Amherst; Hannah, wife of Timothy Morse, of Newbury, this county; and Sally, who died unmarried. He subsequently married Mrs. Betsey Presby Marshall, daughter of James Presby and granddaughter...

Read More

Biography of Sylvester Prentiss Danforth

Sylvester Prentiss Danforth, an enterprising member of the well-known firm of Danforth, Forest & Morgan, contractors, builders, and lumber dealers of Concord, N.H., was born in Boscawen, N.H., August 14, 1838. His parents were Nathan C. and Sophia C. (Brown) Danforth, both residents of Merrimack County for many years. His father and grandfather were engaged in the lumber business for years, while his maternal ancestors were farmers in this county. Sylvester P. Danforth attended the public schools and Boscawen Academy, completing his school education at the age of eighteen years. He then learned the cabinet-maker’s trade with Caldwell & Amsden, for whom he worked eight years as foreman. On September 1, 1867, he came to Concord and served as superintendent for Isaac Elwell & Co., furniture manufacturers, remaining with them three years. His next employer was E. B. Hutchinson, contractor, whom he served as foreman in the moulding and finishing department for twelve years. In 1882 Mr. Danforth bought a half-interest in the Charles Kimball interior and exterior building, finish, and lumber George S. Forest became associated as partner, under the firm name of Kimball, Danforth & Forest, contractors, builders, and lumber dealers. On September 1, 1893, Mr. Kimball retired, and Mr. F. A. Morgan became associated with the firm, which assumed its present style of Danforth, Forest & Morgan. They have an excellent record, and have been employed...

Read More

Biography of Charles H. Courser

Charles H. Courser, a retired business man of Henniker, was born in Boscawen, now Webster, N.H., May 19, 1827, son of John and Keziah (Shepard) Courser. The first ancestors of the family were English. His grandfather, John Courser, was a resident of Merrimack County. The father passed the greater part of his life in Boscawen, and died there at the age of ninety-two years. The mother, who was a daughter of John Shepard, a native of Derry, N.H., lived to be eighty-two. Of her children the only survivor is Charles H. Charles H. Courser passed his boyhood in attending school and assisting upon the farm. When about seventeen years old he was apprenticed to the trade of carpenter and millwright. After serving for three years he was employed as a journeyman carpenter and millwright in Boscawen. In 1853 he came to Henniker, and, securing the site of an old privilege, erected a saw and grist mill, and conducted them for fourteen years. He then sold them, and erected in Newport, N.H., another mill, which he sold before it was completed. Soon after, in Pittsfield, N.H., he bought a mill which he rebuilt and operated for nine years, but still resided in Henniker. When his former mill in this town was subsequently offered for sale, he and his son, Fitz H. Courser, bought the property, built a saw-mill upon the...

Read More

Biography of Major Hiram Fifield Gerrish

Major Hiram Fifield Gerrish, of Concord, N.H., the present Deputy State Treasurer, was born in Boscawen, N.H., September 27, 1839. His parents, Calvin and Ann S. (Fifield) Gerrish, were both lifelong residents of Merrimack County. Major Gerrish is a descendant of Colonel Henry Gerrish, one of the early residents of Boscawen, who was an officer during the war of the Revolution, serving as Lieutenant-Colonel in Colonel Stickny’s regiment, and was present at the battles of Bennington and Saratoga. Colonel Gerrish was one of the leading citizens of his town and State, holding many positions of trust and responsibility, being conspicuously identified with public affairs in the early history of Jacob was for many years a well-known, public-spirited citizen of the town and a large land-owner. Calvin Gerrish, the father of Major Gerrish, was a farmer and mechanic, and was at one time prominently connected with the State militia. He died January 31, 1890. Major Gerrish attended the public schools at Franklin, Penacook, and Concord, but at the age of fifteen entered the employ of the Concord Railroad, continuing thus engaged until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted as a private in Company B of the Second New Hampshire Regiment, then commanded by General Gilman Marston, and was mustered into service in June, 1861. November 3, 1861, he was relieved from duty with his regiment, and placed...

Read More

Biography of Samuel Choate

Samuel Choate, a prominent farmer of Boscawen, was born here, February 24, 1830, son of Royal and Hannah (Sawyer) Choate, who were natives respectively of Boscawen and Salisbury, N.H. His great-grandfather, Thomas Choate, who came from Ipswich, Mass., to Boscawen about 1788, settled on the same farm and occupied the same house where the present Mr. Choate now resides. Samuel, a son of Thomas and grandfather of the present Samuel, born March 18, 1769, in Ipswich, came with his father to this farm; and the two lived King George, dated October 29, 1761, and another signed by John Langdon, bearing the dates, December 15, 1801; June 28, 1808; and September 10, 1810. He was married successively to Betsy Kimball, Nancy Jackman, and Mary Loomis, all now deceased. There was one child by the first marriage, Isaac Chandler, born in 1794, who died in 1860. By the second marriage there were five children: Royal, the father of Samuel, Jr.; Betsey, born December 9, 1797, who died in January, 1826; Anna, born April 13, 1800, who died August 28, 1862; Maria, born August 12, 1802; and Nancy, born October 22, 1804. The children of the third union were: Mary, born in 1810, who died January 7, 1827; Sophia, born in 1818, who died in infancy; and Samuel, born in 1815, who died in the same year. The father died June 12,...

Read More

Biography of William H. Carter

William H. Carter, a thrifty farmer of Canterbury and a son of John and Lydia (Gill) Carter, was born December 20, 1842. His grandfather, Nathan Carter, who was born in Boscawen, N.H., April 6, 1762, lived in this town all his life. Nathan carried on farming, and conducted a tavern, and died September 21, 1841. His wife, Sarah, died May 8, 1845. They had five children, namely: Judith, born December 5, 1787, who married John French, and died December 13, 1871; Moses, born August 6, 1790, who died May 30, 1851; John, born December 10, 1797, the father of the subject of this sketch; Jeremiah, born February 20, 1803, who died in 1871; and Nathan, born February 4, 1807, who died February 16, 1875. John Carter in his younger days was employed in rafting lumber down the river, although his main business was farming. He resided at different times in Boscawen, East Concord, and Canterbury, and died August 12, 1871. His wife’s death occurred February 4, 1890. They had six children: Bradbury G., born February 3, 1827, who married Asenath Spiller, and is now a widower living in Concord; Luther, born August 24, 1829, who married Mary Ann Coffin, and is engaged in the shoe business in Newburyport, Mass.; John, born March 25, 1832, who died in 1833; John (second), born March 15, 1834, who married Julia Bryant, and...

Read More

Biography of Jonathan Arey

Jonathan Arey, a well-known resident and a retired blacksmith of Salisbury, was born January 28, 1816, on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, in the town of Wellfleet, son of Solomon and Patty (Hopkins) Arey. The father, also a native of Wellfleet, born March 12, 1787, lived there until 1830, working at his trade, that of carpenter and joiner. In 1830 he moved to Boscawen, N.H., and there settled on a farm, which he conducted until his death in 1846. His wife, who was born in Eastham, Mass., February 20, 1789, died April 14, 1863. They had twelve children, of whom the subject of this sketch is the only survivor. They were: Priscilla B., Sarah, Nathaniel H., Jonathan, Solomon, Nancy W., Elisha H., Catherine W., Isaiah H., Mary Ann, Happa W., and Martha J. Jonathan Arey received his education in the common schools of Wellfleet, Mass., and Boscawen, and at Pembroke Academy. He remained at home until seventeen years old, when he began to work at the blacksmith’s trade with William Temple, of Boscawen, in whose employment he remained for three years. After this he worked at his trade for six months in Franklin, and then came to Salisbury. On September 4, 1839, Mr. Arey married Miss Charlotte H. Smith, of Salisbury, daughter of Caleb and Mehitable (Eaton) Smith. She died March 9, 1865; and in the following year Mr. Arey was...

Read More

Biography of William W. Austin

William W. Austin, a farmer and drover of Webster, N.H., the son of Eldad and Naomi Austin, was born in Webster, then a part of Boscawen, July 1, 1829. His grandfather, Paul Austin, of Georgetown, Mass., was one of the first settlers of the town. Taking up land when the country around it was a wilderness, he cleared and brought under cultivation the large farm where the subject of this sketch now lives. He died in 1852; and his wife, Mehitable Lowell, of Georgetown, died in 1829. They had eight children-John, Sallie, Dorothy, Eldad, Eunice, Mary Ann, William, and Samuel. Eldad, the second son, and the father of Mr. William W. Austin, adopted farming as his occupation, and remained at home with his parents until his marriage, when he bought a farm near by, where he spent the rest of his life. He was a Deacon of the Congregational church at Webster for forty years. He died April 15, 1883, at the age of eighty-three. His wife, Naomi, a native of Webster, died August 15, 1891, aged eighty-nine. They are survived by two of their children, namely: Mary Ann, whose husband, Sherman Little, died September 20, 1895; and William W., of whom we shall now speak. William W. Austin received his advanced education at Kimball Union Academy, Meriden, N.H. He lived at home until he was twenty-eight years of...

Read More

Search


It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest