Location: Blue Mound Illinois

History of Farming in Blue Mound, Illinois

For some years, the people of all this prairie country suffered great inconvenience in consequence of the expensive fencing necessary to protect their crops from the great herds of cattle which were allowed to roam at will over the prairie. In 1872, the township provided by ordinance against cattle running at large, at their regular town meeting. The ordinance followed the one of the town of Cropsey, which had been sustained and proved successful in its operation. Since the first experience in wheat, corn has been, and probably will continue to be, the great staple crop. The adoption of the law preventing cattle from running at large, made it possible for men to crop their land without fencing, and hedges were started, although there are many pieces of land in the township which are still open. There is no railroad, marketing of the crops being done at Lexington on the north, and Ellsworth and Holder on the south. Old settlers tell of a terrible tornado which swept over the town in the summer, which did much damage and caused more fright. The wind had blown from the east all day, and at night came back from the west in a terrible gale. For years, the people at the East had heard heart-rending stories of the awful winds on these treeless prairies. This was the first experience these settlers had...

Read More

Town Officers of Blue Mound, Illinois

Below is given in table the names of those who have served the town in an official capacity during its history: Error Provided file /var/www/html/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/6-Blue-Mound-Illinois-Town-Officers-2016-10-06.csv does not exist! The following persons have served as Justices of the Peace : J. M. Rayborn, Isaac Smith, P. Barnhouse, G. L. Libbey, J. Van Bushkirk, D. Wheeler, E. Easley, J. B. Bender, L. C. Blake, Thomas Arnold. The following have had charge of highways: J. Lupton, J. S. Stagner, H. Horney, H. Coal, W. Newton, William McHugh, Isaac Smith, J. W. Abbott, W. H. Hayes, William Benjamin, James Smith, Wesley Lewis, W. I. Arnold, D. Wheeler, W. H. Murphy, J. Arnold, W. L. Sapp, M. S. Sill, L. Bender, E. H. Burbank, E. B. Johnson. D. Wheeler served as Township School Treasurer three years, Isaac Smith ten years, until his tragic death. After him, William McHugh for some time, then Benjamin McCoy, the present very efficient officer. On the death of Mr. Isaac Smith, a deficit was discovered in his affairs ; demand was made upon the signers of his bond; they resisted payment for several reasons which seemed sufficient to them, the principal one being that the School Trustees, whose officer the Treasurer is, had been derelict in duty, in not sufficiently examining his affairs, and in permitting him at the time of his last election to serve six months without...

Read More

History of Schools and Churches in Blue Mound, Illinois

The town is now provided with suitable schoolhouses, and good schools are maintained. From the report of 1877, the following figures are taken : _N-umber of districts. 9 ; whole number of children under 21 years, 621 ; number between 6 and 21 years, 429; number enrolled in schools, 384 ; value of school property, $6,000 ; amount of town fund, $6,823; amount paid teachers, 82,523. Total expenses, 83,626. The citizens of Blue Mound very early took the matter of religious service and religious instruction in hand. Mr. John Speed Stagner, who, in many respects, is a pioneer in every good work, had, by a recent consecration of his life to religious work, and ordination to the work, according to the custom and rule of the ” Christian ” Church, come into his new home determined to build up religious institutions. Meetings were at first held in his house. Elders David Sharpless, Anderson and Knight were the first to hold religious services in this neighborhood. After the schoolhouse was built, meetings were held with considerable regularity there by the same preachers, followed by Elder U. H. Watson, Father Johnson and others. In 1865, the present ” Blue Mound Christian Church ” was built under the direction of Messrs. Stagner, Arnold, Doyle and Willhoite. The building is about 26×40, plain, without spire or decoration, and cost about $1,200. A Sabbath...

Read More

Search

Subscribe to AccessGenealogy

Enter your email address to subscribe to AccessGenealogy and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 5,296 other subscribers

It takes a Village to grow a Family Tree!


It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Recent Comments

Subscribe to AccessGenealogy

Enter your email address to subscribe to AccessGenealogy and receive notifications of new posts and databases by email.

Join 5,296 other subscribers

Pin It on Pinterest