Location: Alstead New Hampshire

Biographical Sketch of Russell Tinker

Russell Tinker, born at Lempster, N. H., in June, 1818, located in Marlow when eighteen years of age, where he remained until 1866, then purchased his present farm in this town, on road 14. He has held the office of selectman three years and has also served as supervisor.- He married Mare. daughter of Jonathan Jefts, of Stoddard, November 16, 1841, and has two sons who reside in Alstead. Discover your family's story. Enter a grandparent's name to get started. choose a state: Any AL AK AZ AR CA CO CT DE DC FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NV NH NJ NM NY NC ND OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY INTL Start...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Amos Kidder

Amos Kidder, son of Samuel, who came from Massachusetts at an early day and located upon the farm now occupied by Samuel M., died herein 1873, at the age of ninety-four years and seven months. Three of his six children are living, viz: Amos, in Newport; Mrs. John McNeil, in Westminster, Vt. ; and Samuel M., on the homestead farm. The latter, the youngest son of Capt. Amos, was born in Dalton, N- H., December 17. 1811, He has lived in Alstead since two years of age, and has been identified with the Methodist church over fifty years. He has served his full share in the public affairs of the town, being six years a selectman, and postmaster for a longer term. He married Harriet N. Atwood, of Acworth, May 14, 18;9, and has three daughters, Mrs. Austin E. Smith, Mrs. M. J. Kidder, of Alstead, and Susan E. (Mrs. Charles H. Washburn), of...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Isaac Cady

Isaac Cady, from Pomfret, Conn., came to Alstead about 1763-64, settling with his wife upon a farm at East Alstead, she being the first white woman to locate in the town. Mr. Cady became a Revolutionary soldier, and won a prominent place in the estimation of his townsmen. His son Joseph spent his life here as a farmer and reared a family of six, only two of whom, William and James B., residing on road 39, are living. The latter resides with his son, F. 0., who served the town as selectman in...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of James Kidder

James Kidder settled in Alstead at an early day. His son Ezra carried on a cloth manufactory for a time, and was also engaged in the manufacture of starch. James, Jr., reared a family of seven children, three of whom are now living. One of them, James A., resides on road...

Read More

Military History of Alstead New Hampshire

The first company of militia was formed here in 1973, of which Timothy Dilano was chosen captain, Samuel Chandler, lieutenant, and Jason Wait, ensign. “It is worthy of notice,” says Rev. Seth S. Arnold, in an historical sermon printed in 1826, “that a spirit of independence, and much decision of political character prevailed among the first settlers of this town, when the Revolutionary war commenced. In that time of doubt and peril; when it was so difficult to know what was expedient, and what would be the result of so great an attempt; when the friends of liberty might hesitate through ignorance or prudence, and shrink from the danger, there was only one man in the town who adhered to the cause of Great Britain; and a committee was appointed by the town to deprive him of fire-arms and to confine him to his farm, which duty they faithfully performed. There was, however, an unhappy division in town, before the boundaries between Vermont and New Hampshire were established. After much warmth of feeling, and general agitation the town began to transact business under the State of Vermont, in April,. . 1781, but returned to the authority of New Hampshire in January, 1782. In, 1786 the questions were agitated in town meeting whether the town would give encouragement to the county for becoming a shire town, and whether an agent...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Isaac Fisher

Isaac Fisher, from Framingham, Mass., located as a farmer in Stoddard He married twice, raising three sons and three daughters by his first wife and one son, Benjamin H., by his second. The latter has been a resident of this town for the past forty-nine years. He learned the cabinet maker’s trade in Keene, and, after working here one year for Stephen Kittredge, began business for himself. He married Mahala B. Edson, in 1837, and six of a family of eight children are now living, all of whom except the youngest, Flora E who resides with her parents, have married and left...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Giles Marvin

Giles Marvin, one of the early settlers, located in the eastern part of the town, where he was engaged in farming and worked at his trade as a carpenter and joiner, His son William, born here in 1779, died in x867. Five of his eleven children are living, three in Alstead. Jackson resides on High street, and Fred J. is a prosperous merchant, located on Main...

Read More

Early Settlement of Alstead New Hampshire

The settlement of the town was commenced about the time the charter was granted. Messrs. Simon Baker, Isaac Cady, and William Druse being the first to spend a winter in the town. Among the earlier settlers were the family names of Burroughs, Clark, Warner, Stephens, Chandler, Beckwith, Waldo and Shepard. In 1767 the population had increased to 130 souls. In 1771 there were twenty-five families and ten single men in the town, besides nine others who partially resided here. The first proprietor’s meeting was held at the house of Timothy Dilano, June 4, 1766. when Samuel Chase was chosen moderator, and Timothy Dilano, clerk. The first town-meeting was held March 11, 1766, when Timothy Dilano was chosen moderator, and Jason Wait, clerk. The town was first represented in Provincial congress in 1775, by Nathaniel S. Prentice. The first born in the town was Jacob Cady, and the first birth was that of a child of Simon Baker. The wife of Isaac Cady, who afterwards married a Mr. Clisber, was the first woman who came “into the town.” The first baptism was administered by Rev. Thomas Fessenden, of Walpole, at the house of Capt. Dilano, in September, 1768. The first grist-mill was built by Capt. Timothy Dilano on the outlet of Warren Pond, about 1769. About this time, also, was built the first saw-mill, by Gen. Jonathan Chase, a few...

Read More

Biography of Josiah Cooke

Josiah Cooke, from Coventry, Conn., came to Alstead in 1774. He married Huldah Bassett for his first wife, Lucy Desmond for his second, and reared one son and two daughters. The son, Capt. Josiah, married Sarah Emerson, who bore him three sons and two daughters-John, Arva. Beniah, Polly and Sarah. John married Eunice Parker, rearing one son and one daughter, the latter of whom, Philetta, resides in town. Arva married Rhoda Willard, who bore him five children, three of whom are living. lie was a farmer, served the town as selectman, and died in 1844, aged forty-nine years. His eldest son, Josiah W., resides in Chesterfield. Charles E. has always resided in town, spent his early life on the Cooke homestead, owned and operated a saw and grist-mill (with Wilson D. Holt) eleven years, and in 1869 bought the foundry business of Robb & Kidder, which he still continues. He represented the town in 1863-64, has been selectman six years and has also served as town treasurer. He married for his first wife Luthera Holt, and for his second Maria H., widow of Nelson E. Beckwith, and has three children-Charles H., Oliver A., and Hattie A. (Mrs. S. S. Wilder). Beniah, the youngest son of Capt. Josiah, pursued a collegiate course at Schenectady, N. Y., became a teacher in Fitchburg, Mass., edited a newspaper there a short time, then...

Read More

East Alstead, Cheshire County NH

EAST ALSTEAD (p. o.) is a hamlet located about 1 mile from the east line of the town, near Warren pond, and consists of one street running north and south, bordered by a Congregational church, one store, and about a dozen dwellings. Just west of this, however, upon the outlet of the pond, is a hamlet containing three mills, a grocery and ten or twelve dwellings, where quite an extensive lumber business is carried...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Nathaniel D. Messer

Nathaniel D. Messer was an early settler in the town, and resided here until his death, having raised a large family. One son, William H., died here in 1881. He was engaged in the manufacture of wooden-ware, rakes, etc., where his son, Frank D., now carries on the same...

Read More

Early Manufacturing, Alstead New Hampshire

Messer Bros.’ turning and planing mill, located in East Alstead, was built for a grist and carding mill, about 100 years ago. About 1862 it came into the possession of William H. Messer, and of the present owners in 1881. They employ six hands in the manufacture of baby-carriage spokes, sapspouts, pails, knife handles, etc. E. P Kidder’s saw-mill and rake factory, located it East Alstead, was originally built for a starch factory, by a Mr. Kidder about fifty years ago, and came into the present proprietor’s hands in 1858. He employs six men and manufactures about 100,000 feet of lumber, 5,000 rakes, and 1,600 spokes per annum. John D. Holmes’s grist-mill, operated by F. W. Nourse, it located at Alstead village. It was built by Cragin & Morrison, about 1840, and was purchased by Mr. Holmes in 1867. It has three runs of stones and grinds about 20,000 bushels of custom grain and about 20,000 bushels of western corn per year. Mr. Holmes also has a saw-mill, which cuts 500,000 feet of lumber and 500,000 shingles per year. C. S. Angier’s carriage shop, located at Alstead, was purchased by him of S. K. Elwell, in 1867, and about 1879 he added the undertaking business. He makes a specialty of team wagons and sleds, making about twenty each season. He also does a jobbing business and sawing and planing....

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Timothy Tufts

Timothy Tufts was born in Charleston May 29, 1824. He obtained a common school and academic education and followed teaching successfully for several years, or until 1844, when he embarked in mercantile pursuits, as a clerk in Alstead village. In 1848 he formed a co-partnership with Oliver B. Campbell, and from 1851 has conducted the business alone, doing a very successful trade, and has also a fine farm on road 28. He is a member of the Congregational church and has been town treasurer more than ten years. He married H. Sophia P., daughter of Joseph Kingsbury, and has one son, James A. The latter is now a professor in Phillips Exeter academy, where he fitted for college, graduating from Harvard in 1878. He married, the same year, Effie Locke, of Arlington, Mass., and has one son and one daughter. The late Hon. James Tufts, of Nebraska, was his brother, and a former resident of this town. He was born in Charlestown in 1829, and graduated at Middlebury college in 1855. He held the office of judge of probate in Nebraska, was speaker of the first legislature of Idaho, acting governor of Montana, wrote the laws of Dakota, and held other positions of trust and...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Azel Hatch

Asa, Reuben, and Jude Hatch, brothers, all of whom had served in the Revolution, came to Alstead, from Tolland, Conn., at an early day. Azel, son of Reuben, was seven years of age when his parents came here, and subsequently located on road z5, upon the farm now occupied by his grandson, also named Azel. He held a captain’s commission during the war of 1812. His wife, Rhoda Williams, bore him twelve children, ten of whom attained a mature age, and six of whom are now living. He bore an active part in town affairs, was selectman twenty-seven years, representative five years, a justice of the peace, etc. He died at the age of ninety-two years. Azel, Jr., born on the old homestead in 1817, has been superintendent of school committee, justice 0f the peace, moderator forty years, clerk of the Congregational society twenty years, secretary of the Sabbath school forty-two years, and superintendent of the same twenty-seven years. When Reuben came here from Tolland, he brought a colony of bees, descendants of which are still on the farm in possession of Azel,...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of John Turner

John Turner, from Mansfield, located in Walpole at an early day and died in this town in 1860. His son John G., born in Walpole in 1810, came to Alstead in 1844, and for about ten years drove a stage between Charlestown and Marlow. Since 1847 he has been actively engaged in farming. His son E. A. is the present chairman of the board of selectmen and has served the town as...

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest