Location: Acworth New Hampshire

Biographical Sketch of Rev. N. R. Nichols

Rev. N. R. Nichols was pastor of the Congregational church at Norwich village from February, 1880, to May, 1904, after completing a seven years’ pastorate at Barnet, Vermont, which was preceded by brief pastorates at Westfield, Massachusetts, and Acworth, New Hampshire. During his term of nearly a quarter of a century here in Norwich, Mr. Nichols faithfully cared for the interests committed to his charge, as the one hundred and ninety-five accessions to his church during his pastorate amply indicate. Discover your family's story. Enter a grandparent's name to get started. choose a state: Any AL AK AZ AR...

Read More

Biography of John P. Rounsevel

John P. Rounsevel, formerly a well-known wool buyer of Claremont, was born in Unity, N.H., January 2, 1815, son of Royal and Betsey (Sweat) Rounsevel. Rounseville, the original spelling of the name, was changed to the present form by Joseph Rounsevel about the year 1768. In 1749 Thomas Rounseville wrote from Ottery St. Mary to Philip Rounseville, of England, who afterward came to this country. He settled in Freetown, Mass., and was called by the townspeople King Philip. His son Joseph, who, born January 3, 1737, died in 1827, went to Washington, N.H., between 1768 and 1772, from Middleboro, Mass., having previously resided in East Freetown. Joseph was a good farmer, a well-read man, and a Justice of the Peace. He executed the legal business of the town, and represented Washington with other towns in the General Court. His children were: Alden, Charity, Phebe, John, Rosamond, and Royal. Alden married Hannah Wells. Charity married Manasseh Farnsworth in 1784. Phebe never married. John married Rebecca Chamberlain in 1768. Rosamond married Thomas Putnam in 1787. Royal’s children were: Joseph, Minerva, Elle I., Lyman, and John P. Of them Joseph, who was born in 1796, and died December 24, 1858, married Betsey Laughton, who had by him five children-Sarah, Harriet, Holmes, Lyman, and Marinda. Minerva, born in 1799, who married John Stowell, had no children, and died in July, 1848. Elle I.,...

Read More

Biography of Captain Eleazar L. Sarsons

Captain Eleazar L. Sarsons, a well-known resident of Acworth and a veteran of the Civil War, was born in Lyme, N.H., August 9, 1836, son of Leon and Flora Ella (Prue) Sarsons. His father, who was born in France in the year 1800, emigrated to Canada in 1828, and in 1834 moved to Sheffield, Vt. He was a shoemaker by trade, and followed this handicraft in connection with farming for some time. He later plied his calling in Lyme, N.H., and other places; and in 1871 he came to Acworth, where he spent the rest of his life. He married Flora Ella Prue, who was born in Canada in 1815. They became the parents of ten children, as follows: Mary; Elinore; Eleazar L., the subject of this sketch; Flora, who was born in 1834, and died in Wheelock, Vt., in 1841; Adeline; Marguerite; William H.; George W., who died in Pennsylvania, December 6, 1880; Ella, born in Barre, Vt., in April, 1852; and Charles, who was born in Orange, Vt., in 1860, and died in 1868. Mary Sarsons became the wife of Henry Townes, of Lake Village, N.H. Her husband died July 1, 1896; and she is now residing in Nashua, N.H. Elinore married George W. Newell, of Nashua, and died May 3, 1889. Adeline married John Williams. Marguerite, who married John Clark, died June 28, 1880. William H.,...

Read More

Biography of Hon. George Ashby Cummings

Hon. George Ashby Cummings, ex-Mayor of Concord and formerly a member of the State Senate, was born in Acworth, June 13, 1833, son of Alvah and Polly (Grout) Cummings. His father was a native of Sullivan, and his mother was born in Acworth. He was educated in the public schools of South Acworth. At the age of twenty years he engaged in the marble business in Franklin, N.H., where he remained until 1861. He then moved to Concord, where he has prosperously carried on the same business. His reputation is that of an able, energetic business man. He was a Representative to the New Hampshire legislature during the years 1870 and 1871, a member of the Board of Aldermen of Concord in 1873 and 1874, Mayor of Concord in 1880 and 1881; and he was in the State Senate in 1890 and 1891, being elected president of the New Hampshire Senate Association in the same year. Since its formation he has been a director of the Concord Street Railway Company. He is the president and a director of the Concord Shoe Manufactory, a trustee of the Merrimack County Savings Bank and the New Hampshire Orphans’ Home in Franklin, a trustee and the vice-president of the Odd Fellows Home; and he has been the president of the Concord Odd Fellows Hall Association since its organization. On February 24, 1854, Mr....

Read More

Biography of George E. Davis

George E. Davis, a prominent farmer of Northfield and a native of Acworth, N.H., was born April 30, 1839, son of Oliver and Harriett Elizabeth (Moore) Davis. The father, a native of Acworth, removed to Surry, and later to Lempster, which was the home of his wife. In Lempster he was engaged in farming until his death in 1881. His wife, Elizabeth, died at Manchester in 1885. Henry J. Davis, the first-born of their nine children, was a surgeon in the army, and died at Baltimore. George E., the subject of this sketch, was their second son. His brother, Jefferson, was a clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal church, and preached in Franklin, where he died in July of 1896. Charles B., the fourth son, who served in the Civil War, and received injuries while so doing, now resides in Franklin, and is married to Katie Blackburne. Lucy, the first daughter, died when young. William is now deceased. Frank Barnard, who is a farmer and lives in Lempster, successively married Rose Libby and her sister, Mrs. Hattie (Libby) Page. Abbie also died when young. Lizzie Davis, the youngest child, was Charles Tandy, and had one child, Guy. After Mr. Tandy’s death she married Benjamin Kimball, and now lives near Franklin. At the age of nine years George E. Davis went to the home of an uncle in Acworth, N.H., where...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Hiram C. Ellenwood

Hiram C. Ellenwood, a carpenter and undertaker of Charlestown, N.H., was born in Woodward, Vt., November 26, 1826, son of Cyrus and Sally (Draper) Ellenwood. His grandfather, Joseph Ellenwood, was a native of Greenfield, N.H., where he also resided during the greater part of his life, engaged in general farming. He married Mary Punchard, who became the mother of nine children. Their son, Cyrus, father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Greenfield, N.H., in 1782. He was a shoemaker by trade, and removed to Charlestown at the age of fifty years. In 1811 he married Sally Draper, and they had seven children-Sally, Harvey, Simeon, Frances, Hiram (the subject of this sketch), Warren F., and Sarah. Hiram C. Ellenwood spent his school days in Acworth, N.H., where he stayed until he was twelve years of age. He then went to Charlestown, and worked on different farms outside the village. When he was twenty years old, he began to learn the carpenter’s trade, serving as an apprentice for three years. He afterward went to Boston, where he worked at his trade for two years. On his return he continued as a carpenter; but, becoming sexton for the Unitarian church, he entered also into the business of undertaking, which he has continued for thirty-five years. He is one of the prominent Democrats of Charlestown, and has served on public...

Read More

Biography of Hiram N. Hayward

Hiram N. Hayward, Librarian of the Silsby Free Public Library at Acworth, N.H., was born in this town, April 6, 1837. His parents, Joseph and Patty G. (Slader) Hayward, were also natives of Acworth. His paternal grandfather, Jacob Hayward, was born in Bridgewater, Mass. From Mitchell’s history of that early settled town in Plymouth County we learn that he was the third in direct line to bear the name of the Hebrew patriarch, and that he was the sixth in descent from Thomas Hayward, the immigrant progenitor, who was one of the original proprietors of Bridgewater. Nathaniel Hayward, son of Thomas, was the father of Benjamin, whose son, Deacon Jacob, born in 1712, had a son Jacob, born in 1738. This second Jacob Hayward married Joanna Snell, and, as the old record has it, “removed from town.” The Acworth historian notes his coming to Acworth about 1788. Jacob Hayward, third, who was by occupation a farmer, probably came here with his parents when a young man. He died July 5, 1836, Esther Finlay, of Londonderry, N.H., who died January 25, 1862. This couple had thirteen children: Betsey, Laura, Sally, Patty, Hiram, Polly, Harvey, Susan, Emeline, Joseph, Louisa, Nancy, and Fanny. Joseph Hayward, Hiram N. Hayward’s father, was born March 16, 1810. A lifelong resident of Acworth, he followed the pursuit of agriculture up to the time of his death,...

Read More

Biography of George S. Bond

George S. Bond, a manufacturer of Charlestown, was born in that town, March 2, 1837, son of Silas and Alice (Abbot) Bond. His grandfather, William Bond, who was born in Watertown, Mass., at the age of twenty years came to Charlestown, and thereafter carried on general farming during the remainder of his active life. One of his six children was Silas Bond, who married Alice Abbot, and also was the father of six children, including the subject of this sketch. George S. Bond was educated in the district schools of the town. At the age of seven years his father died. When about nine years old he went to Fall River, where he worked for two years. After his return to Charlestown he worked on various farms in Charlestown and Acworth for about five years. He subsequently went to Brockton, Mass., learned the shoe finishing business, and remained there until he was eighteen years of age. He then went to Syracuse, N.Y., where he worked at bis trade for two years. In 1856 he returned to Charlestown and took up the tinsmith trade. He then went to Putney, Vt., where he worked for four years. In 1865 he bought out the tin store of W. B. Downer, and afterward carried it on for fifteen years. On retiring from that business, he bought out the violin case manufactory that had...

Read More

Biography of William O. C. Woodbury

William O. C. Woodbury, long a prominent business man of Claremont, N.H., and one of the leading Odd Fellows in Sullivan County, was born in Acworth, N.H., February 26, 1818, son of Amos Woodbury. His father, who was born August 5, 1795, was twice married, first to Mary Farnam Carleton, born October 19, 1795, by whom he had: William Oliver Carleton, Mary Lawrence, Hannah Kelly, Eliza Crombee, Amos Omera, Amelia Jane, Judith Annette, Harriot Angeline, and Sarah Maria; and second to Louisa Chandler, born August 18, 1807, who gave him James Vilas Chandler and Samuel Ira Lawrence. Of these children by both marriages the living are: Mary L., Hannah K., Amelia J., and Harriot A. Amos Woodbury was a clock repairer by trade. William learned the trade of his father. In his youth he entered the store of Eben and Samuel Bailey, makers of spoons, silverware, and small wares; and for his services in retailing to customers he was allowed the privilege of repairing watches. He soon established a good trade; and, acquiring capital by economy and hard work, he eventually succeeded his employers in business, remaining for twenty-seven years at the old stand in Bailey Block. Having accumulated a snug fortune for those days, he sold his business interests, but afterward he bought back his old store and continued for some eighteen months longer in business. He died...

Read More

History of Acworth New Hampshire

The town of Acworth lies in the southern part of the county, and is bounded as follows: North, by Unity; east, by Lempster ; south, by Cheshire County; and west, by Charlestown and Langdon. History of Acworth, Sullivan County, New Hampshire Church History of Acworth, Sullivan County, New...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Frederick Locke

(V) Frederick, son of Lieutenant Joshua Locke, was born at Westboro, June 6. 1757, and married (first) in 1793, at Charlestown, New Hampshire, Anna Farwell, who died in 1804. He married (second), July 15, 1805, Lucy Graves, of Washington, New Hampshire. He prepared for college at Leicester Academy, but instead of going to college enlisted in the American army shortly after the revolution began, anti remained in the army during most of the war. After the war was ended he is said to have often remarked that “he did not regret the decision he made, though he lost his pay and his health.” He was a civil engineer and a surveyor by occupation, and lived at Acworth and Charlestown, New Hampshire. He died January 17, 1834. Children of first wife, born at Acworth: Henry, September 24, 1799; Melinda, March 9, 1804. Children of second wife, born at Charlestown: Frederick, May 9, 1807; William G., mentioned elsewhere; Catherine J., February 28, 1810; Lucy G., May 2, 1811; Ann F., March 30, 1813; Sarah F., April 6, 1815; John H., March 31, 1817; Rachel W., April 24, 1819; Mary J., June 7, 1821; Benjamin F., November 13,...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of McKeen, D. W.

McKeen, D. W. physician and surgeon, located in Russell, Kan., in December, 1878, where he engaged in the practice of his profession. He was born in Ackworth, N. H., in 1852; began the study of medicine at the age of twenty-one; he was educated at the Kimbal. Union Academy of Meridan, N. H., graduating in June, 1875; began reading medicine the latter year; attended lectures at Long Island College, and at the hospital, Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1878. He graduated from the college of physicians and surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa; began the practice of medicine in Russell; he has been county physician two years. Is a member of the A. O. U. W., and the examining physician for that order. Was married in May, 1882, to Miss Ella B. Loring, a native of Missouri, recently of Wichita,...

Read More

Biography of Andrew J. Mitchell

Andrew J. Mitchell, one of Lempster’s well-to-do farmers and an ex-member of the New Hampshire legislature, was born in Acworth, N.H., August 3, 1828, son of William L. and Elmira (Moore) Mitchell. He is a descendant of Thomas and Mary (Mitchell) Mitchell, who emigrated from Ireland, and located in Londonderry, N.H. William and Martha (Wallace) Mitchell, Andrew J., settled upon a farm in Acworth in 1777. Jonathan Mitchell, grandfather of Andrew J., and a native of Acworth, spent the active period of his life engaged in agriculture. He married Nancy Mitchell, of Francestown, N.H., and his children were: William L.; James L.; Nancy, who died in Acworth; and Jonathan T. William L. Mitchell, whose birth occurred in Acworth in 1804, was a lifelong resident of that town. He prosperously conducted a good farm, and was highly respected as an upright man and a worthy citizen. He lived to be seventy-six years old. His wife, Elmira Moore, who was born in Lempster in 1807, became the mother of ten children, as follows: Andrew J., the subject of this sketch; William L., who died in infancy; Elmira A., who died young; William L. (second), who married Jane Elliott, and is a farmer and milk dealer in Littleton, Mass.; Levi W., who married Harriet W. Brown, and is engaged in agriculture in Mason, N.H.; Alma A., who married Herbert L. Piper, of...

Read More

History of Acworth, Sullivan County, New Hampshire

The town of Acworth lies in the southern part of the county, and is bounded as follows: North, by Unity; east, by Lempster ; south, by Cheshire County; and west, by Charlestown and Langdon. This town was first granted by Governor Bentin, Wentworth, December 28, 1752, to Colonel Sampson Stoddard, of Chelmsford, Mass., and sixty-nine others, by the name of Burnet, probably in honor of Governor William Burnet. At this time white people could. not live safely in this vicinity at any great distance from the fort at No. 4, (now Charlestown), on account of the Indians; and the town, with others, was probably granted by Governor Wentworth with a view of asserting New Hampshire’s claim to the territory, which was also claimed by Massachusetts, and at that time in dispute. No attempt was made to settle under this grant, and it was re-granted, September 19, 1766, to Colonel Stoddard and sixty-four others, by the name of Acworth, probably in honor of the Governor’s friend, Lord Acworth, of England. In 1767. three young men from Connecticut William Keyes, Joseph Chatterton and Samuel Smith-located here and commenced clearing farms. The grant of 1766, being forfeited by the non-fulfillment of some of its provisions, was extended by Governor John Wentworth, May 30, 1773, and was bounded as follows “Beginning at a stake and stones & runs North two degrees West six...

Read More

Church History of Acworth NH

The Congregational Church in Acworth was organized March 12, 1773, with eight members, as follows: Henry Silsby, Betbiah Silsby, Thomas Putnam, Rachel Putnam, Samuel Silsby, Elizabeth Silsby, Dean Carlton, Anna Cross. During the first fifteen years the church was supplied by George Gilmore, David Goodale, Isaiah Kilburn and others. The first pastor was settled on the second Tuesday of November, 1789. The first meeting-house, erected in 1784, in front of the present house, was not ready for use till 1789. The present edifice was built in 1821. The Confession of Faith and Covenant were revised by direction of the church, and adopted in their present form by vote of the church, on the 13th of April, 1884. The following is a list of the pastors and ministers Rev. Thomas Archibald, ordained November 1789, dismissed June 13, 1794 Rev. John Kimball, ordained June 14, 1797, dismissed May 4, 1813 Rev. Phineas Cooke, ordained September 7, 1814, dismissed February 18, 1829, died April 28, 1853, buried in Acworth Rev. Moses Grosvenor, installed October 14, 1829, dismissed April 25, 1832 Rev. Joseph Merrill, installed October 16, 1833, dismissed July 11, 1838 Rev. Thomas Edwards, installed August 19, 1841, dismissed February 16, 1843 Rev. R. W. Fuller, acting pastor, 1843-1845 Rev. Edwin S. Wright, ordained January 7, 1846, dismissed March 10, 1856 Rev. Amos Foster, installed February 18, 1857, dismissed June 13, 1866...

Read More


Subscribe to AccessGenealogy

Enter your email address to subscribe to AccessGenealogy and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 3,838 other subscribers

It takes a Village to grow a Family Tree!

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Recent Comments

Pin It on Pinterest