Gaede, Baker & Co., dealers in a general line of fancy dry goods, clothing and gents furnishing goods and livestock. They opened trade January 1, 1882, and carry a stock of $6,000 and employ one clerk in the business. The individual names of the firm are Richard Gaede, H. C. Baker and S. H. Fields. H. C. Baker first came to Dodge City January 1, 1882. He was born at Logansport, Cass Co., Ind., September 16, 1849. The family moved to Nemaha County, Neb., in 1856, where he was raised in a small village. He first began business in life as a clerk in a store at Brownville, Neb., and has always followed mercantile pursuits. He went to Atchison County, Mo., in 1874, and clerked in a dry goods store for some time, when he purchased a third interest in the same and continued for three years. He then became a member of the firm of Gaede, Baker & Co., until he came to Dodge City. He was married in May 1877, to Miss Bertha Renner, of Rockport, Mo. They have two children – Nellie and Zora.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.