Wilfrid Cavaness, who had been a Kansas newspaper man for over twenty years, was born at Chetopa November 24, 1875. He attended the public schools there, graduating from high school in 1892, and for two years was a student in Baker University. In 1895 he became connected with the Chetopa Advance under his father, and remained there until 1899. For the following two years he was with the Columbus Courier, and in 1901 came to Chanute and is now treasurer and manager of the Chanute Tribune.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The Chanute Tribune was established April 8, 1892, by George M. Dewey. It had always been published as a republican paper, and is now both a daily and weekly and had a large circulation and influence over Neosho and surrounding counties. The officers of the Tribune Company are: Herbert Cavaness, president; Wilfrid Cavaness, treasurer and manager; George L. Barcus, vice president; and Fletcher Maclary secretary. The Tribune plant is thoroughly equipped with all the modern machinery for printing and typesetting, and it is a very successful newspaper. The plant and offices are located at 14 North Lincoln Avenue, and Cavaness Brothers own the building.
Wilfrid Cavaness is a republican, is affiliated with Cedar Lodge No. 103, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, Cedar Chapter No. 21, Royal Arch Masons, Cedar Commandery No. 44, Knights Templar, Mirza Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Pittsburg, Fort Scott Consistory No. 4 of the Scottish Rite, Chanute Lodge No. 806, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and also the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Commercial Club. Mr. Cavaness is vice president of the People’s Amusement Company of Chanute and had some interests in the oil fields in Kansas and Oklahoma.
In 1908 at St. Joseph, Missouri, he married Miss Wynona L. Stewart, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Stewart, who now resided at Chanute, where Mr. Stewart is locomotive engineer on the Santa Fe Road.