Martin S. McCreight, M. D. A resident of Kansas since early boyhood, Doctor McCreight is one of the oldest business men and professional men of the City of Oskaloosa, where he began the practice of medicine and surgery over twenty years ago, and during the greater part of the time had also conducted a drug business and is vice president of the Jefferson County Bank. Doctor McCreight was born in Indiana County, Pennsylvania. February 19, 1870, and is of Scotch ancestry. His grandfather McCreight was a native Scotchman and on coming to America located in Pennsylvania. Johnston McCreight, father of Doctor McCreight, was born in Indiana County, Pennsylvania, in 1842, grew up and married there, and in 1879 came West to Kansas and located on a farm adjoining his present homestead, a mile north of Oskaloosa. He is still living in that community and had had a long and active career as a farmer. His farming interests include 300 acres. He is a democrat in politics and a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Johnston McCreight married Martha J. Lowman, who was born in Indiana County, Pennsylvania. in 1844. They had just two children, Doctor McCreight being the older. Thomas L., the other son. was born in 1873 and died at Oskaloosa in 1889, while attending the public schools.
Doctor McCreight was also educated in the public schools of Oskaloosa, graduating from high school in the spring of 1889. He had already made proper consideration as to his future, and entering the pharmacy department of the University of Kansas he took the three years’ course and was graduated with the degree Ph. G. in 1892. His work in pharmacy had broadened his outlook until he had resolved to become a physician. Entering Rush Medical College at Chicago, he completed his course in one summer term and two full winter terms, and was graduated M. D. in May, 1894. Since then Doctor McCreight had attended the Department of Medicine in the University of the City of New York for post-graduate work, spending three months there in 1899.
He first opened his office at Oskaloosa October 1, 1894, and had steadily been identified with the medical fraternity in that city and had almost from the start enjoyed a large general medical and surgical practice. He also owned one of the best drug stores in Jefferson County, and built his present store building in 1898, at the corner of Jefferson and Liberty streets. He is the pioneer druggist of Oskaloosa, and only one or two other merchants have been in business as long as he continuously. Doctor McCreight had both his office building and home on South Liberty Street. His office had been there about fifteen years, and in 1911 he built a modern residence.
Doctor McCreight had found many interests to take his time and attention. He owned a farm of 110 acres north of Oskaloosa and 220 acres adjoining the City of McClouth, besides 160 acres in Ozark County; Missouri. The doctor is one of the largest stockholders and is director as well as vice president of the Jefferson County Bank.
For seven years he served as county coroner and for a number of years was county health officer, and in the line of his profession is affiliated with the County and State Medical societies and the American Medical Association. Doctor McCreight is a republican, is a member and deacon of the Presbyterian Church, had twiee filled the chair of worshipful master in Oskaloosa Lodge No. 14, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, is past high priest of Oskaloosa Chapter No. 9, Royal Arch Masons, and other affiliations are with Topeka Commandery No. 5, Knights Templar, Topeka Consistory No. 1 of the Scottish Rite, Abdallah Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Leavenworth, Oskaloosa Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star, and he was formerly a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He belongs to Oskaloosa Camp of the Modern Woodmen of America.
Doctor McCreight married at Lawrence, Kansas, in 1894, Miss Ida M. Engle, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sylvester Engle, who still live at Lawrence, where her father is a retired merchant.