Lewis R. Jewell, a son of Colonel Jewell, was born August 13, 1846, in Gallipolis, Ohio, and was thirteen years of age when he came to Kansas with his father. Reared on his father’s farm, he completed his education in Baker University at Baldwin. In 1864 he enlisted in Company L of the Sixth Kansas Cavalry, his father’s old regiment, and was made clerk. In June, 1865, after being mustered out, he engaged in the mercantile business at Old Arcadia and was one of the early postmasters of that place.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
He founded the new city of Arcadia, and was the pioneer real estate dealer of all that section of Kansas. It was due to his influence and his prestige as a citizen and business man that many families located in the Arcadia community and other sections of Crawford County from the East. He was the second postmaster of New Arcadia, having been appointed in 1882. In 1882 he also established the first newspaper in Lincoln Township of Crawford County, the Arcadia Reporter. His enterprise touched nearly every affair of that community for over thirty years. He represented the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Gulf Railroad Company in the sale of its lands, was appointed United States pension attorney, and conducted a general land, loan and insurance business.
He had completed all the arrangements for the building of a railroad from Nevada, Missouri, to Parsons, Kansas, the route passing through Arcadia, when the panic of 1893 supervened to prevent the accomplishment of this cherished plan. Mr. Jewell had nearly completed arrangements for the Kansas City Southern Railroad to pass through Arcadia, but that project miscarried because his fellow citizens failed properly to support him in the undertaking. His public spirit was unequalled, and everywhere and at all times he was ready to sacrifice his personal welfare for the upbuilding of his home community. He offered land and other inducements to bring business organizations to Arcadia. He was also a man of wide acquaintance and influence in politics and possessed those genial traits and the integrity of character which like his father made him a man of positive influence in every relationship of life.
Lewis R. Jewell died February 12, 1899. He was a York Rite Mason, and was laid to rest in the family lot in the Arcadia Cemetery under Masonic auspices. He was also actively identified with the Grand Army Post, and the Loyal Legion of Honor, and was a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Fraternal Aid Association.
On March 25, 1866, Lewis R. Jewell married Sophia N. Hathaway, daughter of Philip Wing and Elizabeth (Gregg) Hathaway. Mrs. Jewell, who died August 12, 1914, was the mother of ten children: Franklin A., Frederick L., Susan E., Lewis R., William W., Jessie M., Lena M., Joseph C., Maude S., and Harriet E. Of these Fred L., the second in age, died when twenty-three years old at Anaheim, California, where he had gone for his health. Susan E., is the wife of Ernest M. Sprecher, a coal and grain broker at Moulton, Iowa. Lewis R. is in the flour brokerage business at Kansas City, Missouri, and actively and financially interested in oil development in Louisiana, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas. William W. is one of the leading singing evangelists of the state, owned and operates a mill and conducts a general flour and feed business at Arcadia, Kansas. Jessie M. married Dr. W. S. Fleming, a physician and surgeon at Ness City, Kansas. Lena M. is the wife of Thaddeus Hoffman, a bookkeeper at Claflin, Kansas. Joseph C. is a farmer at Coweta, Oklahoma. Maude Sophia married Otto Schmale, a merchant at Arcadia. Harriet is the wife of William Stout, and they reside on their farm near Claflin.