John W. Stanford. One of the strongest banks of southern Kansas is the First National Bank of Independence, of which John W. Stanford is cashier. The Stanford family have been prominently identified with Independence for thirty years, since early days in that city, and Mr. Stanford has practically spent his life there and has made himself an important factor in local affairs. The First National Bank was established in 1883 with William E. Otis as president. In 1904 the late R. S. Litchfield became president of the bank. Since Mr. Litchfield’s death on March 21, 1916, his successor has not been elected up to the present writing. The active officers of the bank are: E. W. Sinclair of Tulsa, Oklahoma, vice president; John W. Stanford, cashier; and R. W. Cates, assistant cashier. The record of this bank is one of steady and consistent growth and its resources make it one of the financial powers of the state. It has a capital of $100,000, and surplus and profits of $150,000. The bank building, which was thoroughly remodeled in 1908, is located at the corner of North Penn and West Main streets.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
John W. Stanford, who was brought to Independence in infancy, was born at Monticello, Indiana, August 27, 1884, a son of T. H. and Elizabeth (Duffy) Stanford. The paternal grandfather, William Stanford, was born and reared at London, England, came to this country as a young man, and after his marriage located in southern Indiana. Early in the Civil war he enlisted in the Union army and never returned and was never heard from. The maternal grandfather, Patrick Duffy, was born and reared at Dublin, Ireland, was married there, and some years later came to America and followed farming in southern Indiana until his death.
T. H. Stanford has long been one of the prominent business and professional men of Independence. He was born at Independence, Indiana, in 1850, studied law and was admitted to the bar in his native state and in 1885 moved to Independence, Kansas, where for thirty years he has been one of the leading members of the bar. He is a democrat, a member of the Catholic Church, and is affiliated with Council No. 19 of the Knights of Columbus, and Lodge No. 780, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks at Independence. He is a director in the Commercial National Bank of that city. His wife, Elizabeth Duffy, was born in New Albany, Indiana, in 1854. Their children are: G. T. Stanford, who graduated from Notre Dame University in Indiana and took his law degree from Harvard Law School, and is now associated with his father in the firm of Stanford & Stanford; John W.; L. V. Stanford, in the automobile business at Independence; and F. C. Stanford, who is a graduate of Columbia University and a business man in New York City.
Completing his education in 1900 at graduation from the Independence High School, John W. Stanford took up banking as commercial clerk in the First National Bank. His success is due to the fact that he has applied all his energies since early manhood to one line. In 1911 he was promoted cashier, and has since borne the heavier burdens of the bank’s management. He is also a stockholder in the Independence Building and Loan Association, and for the past two years has been treasurer of the Independence School Board. He is independent in politics, is a member of the Catholic Church, belongs to the Commercial and Country clubs, and is affiliated with Council No. 918, Knights of Columbus, Lodge No. 17, Ancient Order United Workmen, and Lodge No. 780, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks at Independence.
Mr. Standford was married at Bradford, Pennsylvania, to Miss Helen M. Mack, daughter of Patrick H. and Mary Mack, who still reside at Bradford. Her father has been connected with the Bradford Oil Well Supply Company for the past thirty years. Mr. and Mrs. Stanford have two children: Jack, born October 16, 1911; and Mary Jane, born September 1, 1914.