Henry E. Haskins, M. D. Identified with the work of his profession at Kingman over fifteen years, Doctor Haskins had attained the substantial position of the physician and surgeon whose reputation is secure and whose service is looked upon as a valuable part of community life.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Doctor Haskins is a native of Kansas, and is descended from English ancestors who settled in New York in colonial days. His grandfather, Benjamin Franklin Haskins, was born in 1824 and was a minister. He served as a chaplain with a Union regiment during the Civil war. He carried on his work as a pioneer preacher in Illinois and Iowa, and about 1876 took up a claim near Galva, Kansas, where he died in 1884. He married Miss Abraham, of a Southern family, who died at Ardmore, Oklahoma, in 1909.
Dr. Henry E. Haskins was born at the place known as Old Empire in McPherson County, about five miles south of Galva, September 18, 1878. His father is Dr. M. H. Haskins, who was a pioneer physician in McPherson County. Born in Illinois in 1851, he grew up in that and the State of Iowa, and graduated M. D. from Northwestern Medical University at Chicago. In 1876 he came to McPherson County and as a pioneer doctor practiced his profession over a large extent of territory, his home being forty miles from the nearest railroad station at Newton. One winter he spent in New Mexico as physician to a railroad camp. In 1887 he came to Kingman, and his services were given that community for many years. Since 1911 he had lived in Denver, Colorado, where he still carries on his professional labors. He was coroner and health officer of Kingman County at one time. In politics he is a democrat and is a member of the Community Church at Denver and fraternally is a Knight Templar Mason and an Odd Fellow. He married in Illinois Miss Letitia Pierson, who was born in that state in 1856. She died at Kingman, Kansas, in 1907. Dr. H. E. Haskins is the oldest of their four children. Laura married Charles S. Hardy, an oil salesman living at Denver; Maude is the wife of F. T. Malone, a druggist at Kingman; Charles A. lives at Lawrence, Kansas, where he occupies the position of State Sanitary Engineer.
Dr. Henry E. Haskins received his early education in the public schools of Kingman, where he had lived since he was nine years of age. He graduated from the Kingman High School in 1896, and then for the next two years had a valuable experience working in a drug store. He then entered the St. Louis University, from which he was graduated with the degree Doctor of Medicine in 1901. The following year he remained at St. Louis as an interne at St. Mary’s Infirmary, and then returned to Kingman, where he had enjoyed a large general medical and surgical practice. He is a member of the Kingman County, the State and District Medical societies, the Medical Association of the Southwest, including the states of Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas, and a member of the American Medical Association. Doctor Haskins had prospered in a material way, is a stockholder in the Penalosa State Bank and in the Cookson Drug Company at Kingman, owned a good farm of 200 acres at Penalosa and in 1914 bought a modern home at 401 Avenue B, West, in Kingman. His offices are in the Ritchie Building at 138 North Main Street. Doctor Haskins is affiliated with Ninnescah Lodge No. 271, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, at Kingman, and also with Kingman Camp of the Modern Woodmen of America, the Knights of Pythias, the Knights and Ladies of Security, and Kingman Lodge of the Knights of the Maccabees.
In 1903, at Penalosa, Kansas, he married Miss Bertha Knappenberger, daughter of Frank and Belle (Hainline) Knappenberger. Her father, now deceased, was a farmer at Penalosa. Her mother is now living at Kingman. Doctor and Mrs. Haskins have one child, Mary Eleanor, born August 6, 1910.