Harry G. Lambert has been a resident of Pottawatomie County since 1879, and for many years had been a successful farmer and business man in and around Belvue. He still owned and looks after a farm and is manager of J. Thomas & Son Lumber Yard.
Mr. Lambert is of an old Ohio family. He was born in Morgan County at what was then called Seeleyville, now Woodville, October 10, 1868, son of George W. and Elizabeth (Maxwell) Lambert. The Lamberts were of German stock and were pioneers in Pennsylvania. The Maxwells were English people and were Colonial settlers in Pennsylvania. The grandfather was John Lambert, who died in Ohio before his grandson Harry was born. The maternal grandfather, John Maxwell, was born in Ohio in 1796, spent his life as a farmer and died in Morgan County of that state in 1878.
George W. Lambert was born in Ohio in 1830, grew up and married there, and in 1852 crossed the plains to California. He spent three years in the far West, part of the time as a miner and part of the time as a school teacher. On returning to Ohio he engaged in merchandising at Seeleyville and was also a farmer. In 1879 he brought his family to Louisville in Pottawatomie County and the next spring he bought a farm five miles north of Belvue. He was engaged in farming in that community for fifteen years and in 1895 retired and moved into Belvue, where he died in 1906. He was a republican and a member of the Methodist Protestant Church and joined the Masonic fraternity while a resident of Ohio. His wife was born in February, 1836, and is now living at El Reno, Oklahoma. Frank, the oldest of their children, is a farmer at Palmer in Washington County, Kansas. Hattis married R. E. McFarland and they reside at Oakland, Kansas, Mr. McFarland being a carpenter employed by the Santa Fe Railway. The third of the family is Harry G. Ada is the wife of B. R. Jette, chief clerk for the Santa Fe Railway Company at Kansas City, Kansas. Carrie married H. D. Jette, and their home is at Mount Washington, Missouri, Mr. Jette being route clerk for the John Deere Plow Company of Kansas City, Missouri. Lucile is the wife of G. H. Pash, a civil engineer connected with the enginecring department of the Rock Island Railway, their home being at El Reno, Oklahoma.
Harry G. Lambert was educated in the rural schools of Ohio and of Pottawatomie County, where he had lived since he was eleven years of age. He graduated from the Louisville High School in 1888 and then farmed until 1892. For the next two years he was employed by the Leavenworth Bridge Company in Kansas and Colorado and in 1893 he bought a farm a mile northwest of Belvue. This farm of eighty acres is still under his ownership and he gives considerable time to its superintendence. His home, however, is on Anderson Avenue in Belvue, where he had a good residence. He also owned a half interest in the Belvue Garage on Broadway and since 1903 he had been manager of the J. Thomas & Son Lumber Yard. The yard is owned by a company at Topeka and Mr. Lambert had charge of the local business. Mr. Lambert is affiliated with Pottawatomie Lodge No. 52, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, at St. Marys, and Topeka Consistory No. 1 of the Scottish Rite.
At Topeka in 1895 Mr. Lambert married Miss Cora M. Huston, daughter of J. M. and Hannah (Duling) Huston. Her parents live at Belvue, her father being a farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Lambert have one child, Harry Huston Lambert, born August 24, 1915.