Biography of Francis C. Herr M. D.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
choose a state:
Francis C. Herr, M. D. One of the most widely known physicians in Franklin County is Dr. Francis C. Herr, who graduated from one of the oldest medical colleges in the country forty years ago, and had been in active practice at Ottawa since 1884.
Born at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, December 1, 1852, he is a son of Amos F. and Anna (Frantz) Herr, both of whom are natives of Lancaster County. This is a very old and prominent family of early colonial German ancestry. Doctor Herr is a descendant of Hans Herr, who represented a Suabian family of Germany, where the Herrs had a coat of arms and other insignia of rank. Hans Herr came to Pennsylvania in 1709. He was a man of wealth and acquired 10,000 acres of land near Lancaster, where he spent his years. He established a family which had lived for generations and his descendants have become scattered all over the United States. In these generations are found numerous ministers, physicians, civil engineers, lawyers and many who have reached prominence in the political life of the country. Doctor Herr’s grandfather, Francis Herr, was born in Lancaster County and spent his life there. The father, Amos F. Herr, was born in 1818, was a farmer and stock raiser, from which pursuit he gained wealth, and died in Lancaster County in 1905. He and his wife were active members of the Menonnite Church. His wife, who is still living, is a daughter of Christian Frantz, a native of Eden in Lancaster County. Members of the Frantz family were also active in politics and in the Mennonite Church in Lancaster County.
Many years ago there was an excellent private school conducted in Lancaster County by the Herr brothers, and in that school Doctor Herr acquired his early training. He began the study of medicine under Dr. Frank Musser of Lancaster. Entering Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia in 1876, he was graduated in 1879 M. D., and before taking up active practice had the advantages of one year as interne in the Southwestern Hospital of Philadelphia. Doctor Herr was in practice at Philadelphia for several years, but in 1884 came to Ottawa, where his professional service of thirty-two years had been given. He had long been prominent in his profession as well as in general civic affairs. He had served as coroner of Franklin County and for four years was secretary of the pension board. He had also been vice president of the Ottawa Board of Education. Politically he is a very ardent republican. For twelve years he was chairman of the Franklin County Republican Central Committee, and was a delegate to the National Convention in Philadelphia in 1900, when McKinley and Roosevelt were nominated. Doctor Herr is a Mason and is a charter member of Lodge No. 803, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, which he had served as exalted ruler. He is a member of the Episcopal Church, while his wife is a Presbyterian.
Doctor Herr was married at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, July 6, 1882, to Miss Elizabeth Seiler. Mrs. Herr was born in Harrisburg, was well educated in private schools, and is a daughter of Jacob Seiler, who at one time was sheriff of Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. The one child of Doctor and Mrs. Herr was Parvin S., who died of smallpox in 1895, at the age of eleven years.