Albert Smith, M. D. It is practically beyond the possible for the conscientious physician and surgeon to arrive at a condition of mind where he is satisfied with his accomplishments, no matter what their degree, for, with an understanding of what great things are coming to the man of science, the numerous avenues yet unopened which will lead to new realms in the cure of the ills of humanity, and a constant yearning to add to his store of personal knowledge, he, of necessity, keeps on striving for perfection as long as life remains. One of the men of the Kansas profession who has already accomplished much out of the ordinary, but who remains a close student and careful investigator, is Dr. Albert Smith, of Parsons, who has been engaged in a general practice here for more than twenty years.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Doctor Smith was born at Erie, Kansas, July 24, 1870, and is a son of Irvin and Callie (Kennedy) Smith, and a member of a family which assisted in the pioneer settlement of the State of Ohio. His father was born in 1846, in Columbus, Ohio, and was there reared and educated, but as a young man went to Wabash, Indiana, where he was married and established himself in the drug business. In 1868 he came to Kansas and settled at Erie, where for many years he was proprietor of a leading pharmacy, and retired in 1910 and moved to Parsons, where he now resides. He is a republican and a man of intelligence and real worth. Mr. Smith married Callie Kennedy, who was born in 1850, in Ohio, and died at Eldorado Springs, Missouri, in 1886, and they became the parents of three children: Albert, of this notice; Nell, who died at Parsons, in 1905, as the wife of Peter Duffy, now a merchant of this city; and May, who died at the age of two years.
After attending the public schools of Parsons, Albert Smith placed himself under the preceptorship of Professor Hixon, a graduate of Johns Hopkins University, who tutored him in his preparatory work, and thus he was fitted to enter the Kansas University, where he spent one year in studying pharmacy. Next, he entered the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, from which he was duly graduated with the class of 1890, and then began his medical studies in the Chicago College of Physicians and Surgeons, an institution in which he spent two years. His education was still more further advanced by a course at the famous Hahnemann Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1895, with his cherished degree of Doctor of Medicine. Unlike many physicians, Doctor Smith did not cease to be a student when he had received his degree. On the contrary, he was incited to greater effort in the line of acquiring knowledge, and since his graduation has taken post-graduate courses at the Chicago Policlinic, the New York Polyclinic and the New York Post-Graduate School, and in 1914 went to Europe, visiting the famous institutions of Vienna, Paris, London and Berlin and spending five months in specializing in surgical work.
Doctor Smith began practice at Parsons in 1895, and here has continued without interruption, save during the time he has been engaged in special study. He has a large clientele and carries on a general practice in both medicine and surgery, and is also local surgeon for the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad. Holding to high ideals in his professional service, his work has always been characterized by a devotion to duty and with an appreciation of the responsibilities resting upon him. He keeps in touch with all recent work in his profession, and his sound judgment and wide experience, combined with the benefits he secured from membership in the various organizations, county, state and national, of his profession, enable him to decide upon what is valuable and that which is unessential in his practice. His well-appointed offices are located at Nos. 1812½ and 1814½ Main Street, and his residence is at No. 1610, on the same thoroughfare. Doctor Smith is a republican, but has not sought public office. He is fraternally connected with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and also holds membership in the Commercial and Rotary clubs and the Parsons Chamber of Commerce.
Doctor Smith was married at Parsons, in 1896, to Miss Nannie E. Cowden, of this city, and to this union there has been born one son: Albert N., born December 11, 1903, who is a member of the freshman class at the Parsons High School.